Why become a member? ×

Steve Bailey signs up with Warwick!

eude

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1195343' date='Apr 11 2011, 07:31 AM']And what odd decision is that? If I recall correctly, it was Stu who went to Washburn for a bass. Fender have done the Urge II tenth anniversary bass and the Urge was their first signature bass. Stu and Fender's relationship goes all the way back to when Fender bought Kubicki in the late 80's. Stu had been playing a Washburn acoustic bass since the late 90's/early 00's and built contacts in the company who offered him a new signature model. Stu started playing that and moved away from Fender.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I recall reading what Stu had written about how he got his new bass but it's possibly my nightshift hazed brain is remembering things incorrectly.

As for Stu's new Washburn bass, it sounds incredible but I don't like the looks at all.[/quote]

I think it was an odd decision for Fender to discontinue the Urge model. Hamm only went to Washburn for his electric bass after Fender chose to tale the Urge out of production.
I'm sure the Washburn sounds and plays great,but it isn't the nicest looking bass.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1197159' date='Apr 12 2011, 06:49 PM']I think it was an odd decision for Fender to discontinue the Urge model. Hamm only went to Washburn for his electric bass after Fender chose to tale the Urge out of production.
I'm sure the Washburn sounds and plays great,but it isn't the nicest looking bass.[/quote]

Nah, I do think it's fairly ugly. It looks quite plain and quite cheap. Thats a shame, because the Urge and the Urge II were excellent and the custom shop models Stu got from Todd Krause and the Fender custom shop were stunning. I think a big part of the excellent sound of the Washburn is the EMG pickups in the Humbucker/Singlecoil layout. However, I'm sure loads of companies could have done that for Stu. I'm glad he has found a replacement bass he is happy with, but I just wish it looked a bit more 'special'

At least he still has those Kubicki basses!

[quote name='Doddy' post='1197159' date='Apr 12 2011, 06:49 PM']I'm sure the Washburn sounds and plays great,but it isn't the nicest looking bass.[/quote]
Yeah it is kind of emminently forgetable, whereas the Kubicki and Urge were great looking. Maybe Washburn will up the wow factor with a Stu II?

[quote name='Russ' post='1197143' date='Apr 12 2011, 06:34 PM']why do all Americans pronounce it "War-Wick"? :)[/quote]
They are pronouncing it phonetically. What would be interesting is how the Germans pronounce it as there are no silent letters in German IIRC. My guess is that they pronounce it War Wick too.

Edited by ezbass

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1197858' date='Apr 13 2011, 10:08 AM']Germans pronounce the letter "W" the same way as we would pronounce the letter "V" so it should be:

"Var Vick"[/quote]
Brilliant I'd forgotten that pronounciation fact :)

Oh it's coming flooding back now W=V, V=F...........................

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1197858' date='Apr 13 2011, 10:08 AM']Germans pronounce the letter "W" the same way as we would pronounce the letter "V" so it should be:

"Var Vick"[/quote]

That's true. But you also need to bear in mind that Germans know that Warwick is not a German word, and they tend to try to get pronunciation correct for the original language. So you'll find they often say it much like we do.

Zum beispiel, listen to this video at about 0:08: