Why become a member? ×

Steve Bailey signs up with Warwick!

eude

[quote name='Waldo' post='1193963' date='Apr 9 2011, 06:41 PM']Everything = Mark King to be fair. The man's a ridiculous gear whore[/quote]

Flea's another that pops into my head for example. The guy used a 'ray into GK for a long time and that was his trademark sound, then he seemed to get bored and start swapping about basses on whims. It must be incredibly frustrating for a company like Modulus to make a bass that they even name after an endorsee, then they jump ship soon after.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1194137' date='Apr 9 2011, 11:03 PM']Flea's another that pops into my head for example. The guy used a 'ray into GK for a long time and that was his trademark sound, then he seemed to get bored and start swapping about basses on whims. It must be incredibly frustrating for a company like Modulus to make a bass that they even name after an endorsee, then they jump ship soon after.[/quote]

Don't think that's a fair comparison really, the only signature model that he's had was his modulus and he was with them for ages. And he only ended up with them after Musicman wouldn't give him his own one. I doubt modulus would complain really, they'll have shifted so many basses due to his name attached.

I singled out Mark King becuase he's had signature basses from Alembic, Status, Fender and Jaydee plus Ashdown amps. Just seems excessive!

[quote name='Waldo' post='1194147' date='Apr 9 2011, 11:15 PM']Don't think that's a fair comparison really, the only signature model that he's had was his modulus and he was with them for ages. And he only ended up with them after Musicman wouldn't give him his own one. I doubt modulus would complain really, they'll have shifted so many basses due to his name attached.

I singled out Mark King becuase he's had signature basses from Alembic, Status, Fender and Jaydee plus Ashdown amps. Just seems excessive![/quote]

He's been endorsed by Musicman, Modulus then he's had his own Fleabasses (which AFAIK he doesn't even use). I know what you mean that the ray wasn't a signature bass as such, but considering he used it for such a long time and it was such an essential part of his sound, jumping ship because they wouldn't put his name on a model then having Modulus make an almost identical one just so he could have his name on it is more than a little egotistical/greedy IMO.

[quote name='eude' post='1191820' date='Apr 7 2011, 03:18 PM'][url="http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/musikmesse-2011-bassist-steve-bailey-joins-the-warwick-roster-414896"]http://www.musicradar.com/news/bass/musikm...k-roster-414896[/url]

Lovely looking bass too, quite a departure from some of the more recent signature basses they've done, plus I think it's good for Warwick to diversify a little artist-wise too.

Eude[/quote]What a f***ing mess of a bass.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1194137' date='Apr 9 2011, 11:03 PM']Flea's another that pops into my head for example. The guy used a 'ray into GK for a long time and that was his trademark sound, then he seemed to get bored and start swapping about basses on whims. It must be incredibly frustrating for a company like Modulus to make a bass that they even name after an endorsee, then they jump ship soon after.[/quote]

I don't think the Stingray was ever really his trademark sound. Obviously he is associated with that bass because of it's live use,but a lot of his most well known stuff was not played on a Stingray.In the studio he used all kinds of instruments-notably Spector,Wal and Alembic.
The Modulus signature bass was basically a rebranded Sonic Hammer model,so it wasn't like they went all out on a brand new design for him.

From what I remember, Flea only jumped ship from Musicman for his touring basses because they wouldn't make him a graphite necked signature model.
I'm not sure that seed was planted/helped along by Modulus, but he apparently struggled with the necks of his Stingrays shifting a lot when on tour, probably a combination of how fiercely he attacks his basses and the punishing tour schedules the Chilli's used to do.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1194235' date='Apr 10 2011, 02:14 AM']I don't think the Stingray was ever really his trademark sound. Obviously he is associated with that bass because of it's live use,but a lot of his most well known stuff was not played on a Stingray.In the studio he used all kinds of instruments-notably Spector,Wal and Alembic.[/quote]

You're right dude, Flea never really did much recording with his Stingrays, especially after they got a little bigger and got proper recording budgets, however you rarely saw him with anything but a Stingray anywhere else, he was a pretty good endorsee for Musicman...
I know he defo used a Wal for Blood Sugar Sex Magik, which has some of the nicest bass tones ever on it, and an Alembic Epic, I think, for One Hot Minute.

Eude

[quote name='stevie' post='1194397' date='Apr 10 2011, 11:01 AM']I think you might find the band's manager has something to do with that.[/quote]

Is there something we should know??.....was MK perfectly happy with his first borrowed short-scale, and all the rest was just to keep his manager quiet???

[quote name='Waldo' post='1194147' date='Apr 9 2011, 06:15 PM']I singled out Mark King becuase he's had signature basses from Alembic, Status, Fender and Jaydee plus Ashdown amps. Just seems excessive![/quote]

Doesn't seem that bad for a 30+ year career and other than the Fender he did use the Jaydee and Alembic for a number of years before moving to his current long-term relationship with Status.

[quote name='Doddy' post='1192472' date='Apr 8 2011, 01:22 AM']Yeah,that Stu Hamm model is pretty ugly,but in fairness he's used a Washburn acoustic bass for ages now
so it kind of makes sense that he looked at them for an electric bass after Fender made an odd decision.[/quote]

And what odd decision is that? If I recall correctly, it was Stu who went to Washburn for a bass. Fender have done the Urge II tenth anniversary bass and the Urge was their first signature bass. Stu and Fender's relationship goes all the way back to when Fender bought Kubicki in the late 80's. Stu had been playing a Washburn acoustic bass since the late 90's/early 00's and built contacts in the company who offered him a new signature model. Stu started playing that and moved away from Fender.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I recall reading what Stu had written about how he got his new bass but it's possibly my nightshift hazed brain is remembering things incorrectly.

As for Stu's new Washburn bass, it sounds incredible but I don't like the looks at all.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1195343' date='Apr 11 2011, 07:31 AM']And what odd decision is that? If I recall correctly, it was Stu who went to Washburn for a bass. Fender have done the Urge II tenth anniversary bass and the Urge was their first signature bass. Stu and Fender's relationship goes all the way back to when Fender bought Kubicki in the late 80's. Stu had been playing a Washburn acoustic bass since the late 90's/early 00's and built contacts in the company who offered him a new signature model. Stu started playing that and moved away from Fender.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as I recall reading what Stu had written about how he got his new bass but it's possibly my nightshift hazed brain is remembering things incorrectly.

As for Stu's new Washburn bass, it sounds incredible but I don't like the looks at all.[/quote]

I read in an interview, the UK Bass Mag I think, that Fender called Stu up to tell him that they were stopping making the Urge, which is why he moved everything over to Washburn, however he seems very very happy with his new bass. Washburn have allowed him to do whatever he wanted for the news bass, something that I get the impression Fender are a bit funny about.
So I guess it's smiles all round :)

Eude

Edited by eude

[quote name='eude' post='1191840' date='Apr 7 2011, 03:35 PM']....I wonder what amazing price point Warwick will pluck out of the sky for this one...[/quote]

From a photo taken at the Frankfurt show, it looks like the RRP is a mere 6749 euros. :)

[quote name='mart' post='1195664' date='Apr 11 2011, 01:17 PM']From a photo taken at the Frankfurt show, it looks like the RRP is a mere 6749 euros. :)[/quote]

Wow!
Well at least they're being consistent with their crazy pricing structure!
How on earth is that bass worth that much!?

Don't see this selling all that well then...

Eude

[quote name='eude' post='1195673' date='Apr 11 2011, 01:19 PM']Wow!
Well at least they're being consistent with their crazy pricing structure!
How on earth is that bass worth that much!?

Don't see this selling all that well then...

Eude[/quote]

I don't suppose they're counting on selling many of these high-end sig models. I guess they value them for the profile they bring to the brand, but I dunno - I'm no business expert!

Btw, there is an interesting thread on TB, starting with a long statement from Steve Bailey about his sig models:
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/steve-bailey-speaks-warwick-fender-759381/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/steve-ba...-fender-759381/[/url]

Edited by mart

[quote name='mart' post='1195686' date='Apr 11 2011, 01:30 PM']I don't suppose they're counting on selling many of these high-end sig models. I guess they value them for the profile they bring to the brand, but I dunno - I'm no business expert!

Btw, there is an interesting thread on TB, starting with a long statement from Steve Bailey about his sig models:
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/steve-bailey-speaks-warwick-fender-759381/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f28/steve-ba...-fender-759381/[/url][/quote]

Maybe you're right dude, but at that price they're guaranteeing they won't sell many, bar to overpaid Warwick fan boys.
I guess they might do a Korean made version, like they have with most of the other basses, so that might get it into a more reasonable price point...

Thanks for pointing out that TalkBass thread, really interesting reading :)

Eude