Why become a member? ×

Guitar vs Bass?

scalpy

I started on guitar because my dad made me (he's a classical guitarist) I couldn't get chords at all but could solo no problem, I was going through a thin lizzy phase so I changed to bass which I then played until this year when I switched back to guitar (I learnt chords after a year). I could lay down a groove on a bass but solos eluded me, no inspiration - unless i played fretless. I guess i'm more of a precision/EB3 guy but guitar is sooooo much more interesting when your without a band. That said, on stage i'd play rhyhthm guitar or bass (leccy or acoustic)

I play guitar, but strictly rhythm - I don't want to make it cry or sing (which is just as well, cos I can't). For a long time I wanted to play guitar and kept getting bumped to bass because there was another guitarist and no bassist, and I started resenting it. But more recently I've really got into it, partly because of talking to other bassists, cos that has helped me recognize the importance of the bass more. Ironically, our guitarist has left so I'm now going to be playing much more guitar. And unfortunately I'm now [b]really[/b] fussy about what the bassist does when I'm playing guitar :)

I played guitar a bit in my teens. Was in a couple of bands briefly and also the county youth jazz orchestra (I learned all the chords, but most importantly was completely blown away by the ability of the bass player which is perhaps why, 25+ years later, I am learning to play bass myself).

[url="http://www.guitarmaniacs.de/gallery_pics/jzXgu5uvjXMb6zGaxT7xteIU9.jpg"]This is an example of the guitar I still have.[/url]

I'm a purebred :) Never played guitar. Never wanted to play guitar, can't play guitar! Just a few power chords, e, c, d, g and f. That's my lot. Dunno any fancy majors or minors lol.
I started on bass (aged, i dunno, 15-16 ish, in the heyday of grunge, a good time to start!) cause it just looked way cooler than guitars, and I liked the lower sound. I was gigging on bass within a month and have never stopped or looked back. Every so often I've had a hankering to buy a cheap guitar to bang out Therapy? Songs on but it never lasts more than a few weeks. Never gigged one. My wife is all like: "But you can play the guitar in most people's opinion", but when I see the people ive been lucky enough to play with and how they play, I won't put myself on the same page; whereas I'm a pretty decent bass player I (hope!)
I'm all about the bass baby:)

I primarily play bass in a band situation, occasionally playing baritone guitar and synths (sub bass and fuzz); always leaning towards the lower and rhythmic end of the spectrum even if it's not pure bass guitar.

Personally, I find using a guitar or keyed instrument better for writing purposes though.

Edited by WILD FROG SHOT

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1191000' date='Apr 6 2011, 08:37 PM']I play acoustic guitar in a duo.

Started to play bass because some of the songs called for it really.[/quote]

Flight of the Conchords? Jermaine?

Always had an acoustic guitar for songwriting.

I gave up bass completely, for a few years and played acoustic guitar and mandola, in various acoustic combos.

Eventually came to my senses and returned the the best, bass.

Whilst into acoustics, I really got sucked into the GAS situation. Blimey! they are pricey.

:)

I would hazard a guess that the people who play more than just bass are also songwriters?

It would be interesting to know how many of the people who are strictly bassists only are also writers, in that they come up with the initial ideas that start of the song writing process.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1191490' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:34 AM']I would hazard a guess that the people who play more than just bass are also songwriters?[/quote]

Aye.

I played nothing but acoustic guitar 2004 - 2007 as it helped with the songwriting at the time (which involved lots of chords). It was more helpful than playing bass. I'm not confident enough to play guitar at a gig, though. It does not come naturally to me.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1191490' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:34 AM']I would hazard a guess that the people who play more than just bass are also songwriters?

It would be interesting to know how many of the people who are strictly bassists only are also writers, in that they come up with the initial ideas that start of the song writing process.[/quote]

Nope.

The few tunes (not songs because I don't write words) I've written have been done using a six string bass and a looper. I actually find chordal playing easier on the bass than the guitar.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1191490' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:34 AM']I would hazard a guess that the people who play more than just bass are also songwriters?[/quote]
Definitely. I spent about 6 years out of bands in the 90s - during that time I wrote plenty, and really only picked up a bass when I had to record a bass line.

I've never found the bass a good instrument for composition - I can easily come up with bass lines & riffs I like but trying to add a guitar to that always feels & sounds (to me, anyway) awkward & forced. The other way 'round is no problem - in fact when I'm working on a guitar part I can usually hear in my head what the bass should do before I even pick it up. And it's not usually root notes.

J.

[quote name='Vinny' post='1191109' date='Apr 6 2011, 09:37 PM']No, No, No!
If I pick one up it will be either to move it out of my way or to give it's owner a swift kick in the gentleman's region.[/quote]
Lol. +1

I have a guitar but to be quite honest, I can't play it at all. The strings are too thin, too close together and there's too many of them. :)

I've never really played the guitar. Started on bass, stuck with bass, took up trombone along the way and played drums quite a lot but never guitar. I play keys more often than guitar although I wouldn't be confident enough to gig either (unless I was just playing bass lines on the keys).

Funnily enough I still know more guitar chords than our guitarist, not sure how that's happened.

I played guitar about 6 months before buying a bass. Had a few guitars and then concentrated on bass. I do play it occasionally to a reasonable standard but don't feel as drawn to it. My Dad is a guitarist and has quite a collection so it'd be rude not to be decent !

I played guitar in my mid-teens 'til I left university (early to late '70s), followed by a musical vacuum. Then mid-life crisis thingy came along 25years later and I took up bass, having changed the way I listen to and appreciate music in the meanwhile. Still have a couple of guitars and, if I were to put in the equivalent practice that I do on my bass, would be a better guitarist than both guitarists in one band. Which is rather worrying. Though nothing like as good as either guitarist in the other band - a much better situation.

But doesn't it all seem a bit Liliputian? That's my biggest problem now when picking up a guitar - stumbling over such a tiny neck with all those strings on it. But I do quite fancy playing rhythm guitar in a band at some point. I never have and I think it could be fun.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1191490' date='Apr 7 2011, 10:34 AM']I would hazard a guess that the people who play more than just bass are also songwriters?

It would be interesting to know how many of the people who are strictly bassists only are also writers, in that they come up with the initial ideas that start of the song writing process.[/quote]

Yep, caught me, I do write stuff as well. Sometimes on a bass, sometimes on a keyboard, sometimes on a biscuit tin, though that only happened the once. :)

This applies to me. I'm a bassist first and foremost, it's where my strongest skills lie, but I've been playing guitar for a tiny bit longer and I almost exclusively write using one! Also love playing rhythm and lead when I get a chance.

I started on keys when I was a kid & played for years then found bass. So my order is thus:

1, Bass
2, Acoustic Guitar
3, Keys (Synths)
4, Electric Guitar

Other things I play, but not to an audience:
Drums, Violin, Banjo, Mandolin, Harmonica, Trumpet & Tenor Horn.

It's good knowing how ither instruments work, especially when writing songs.