Why become a member? ×

SELLING ON BC

TheGreek

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1188253' date='Apr 4 2011, 08:09 PM']I do think that the question of weight is a more than valid request! :)

Manufacturers give 'guesstimations' on weights of basses but there is a massive tolerance for actual instruments; I've owned basses such as a pair of Lakland DJ basses and they varied from 4.5kg to 5.7kg. That's quite a difference if you are getting on in years and/or do long sets regularly... and don't even start on the variance in old fender basses! :)[/quote]

Ah, that sounds like to me! Does your Zon have black hardware? I've got cash waiting to buy a bass but I've been looking for something a bit interesting, to fit with the rest of my collection!

I've only bought thigns here (as far as I can remember) and like to think that I treat everyne I deal with with respect and politeness. Everyything I've bought on here without viewing as allways been as described, including a Stingray. The only thing I've bought face to face is a Korean 24 fret Jazz from Kinder. I've had nothign but good experiences on here and most people share that sentiment.

Me personally, I have had a great experience on here both buying and selling and hopefully another one to come. I have had my share of time wasters, however, other than one person who lives in Edinburgh and really needs to have good word with himself ... I have identified them early and said no on many occasions to their requests - tis also because I'm old and grumpy too!!

It is the luck of the draw when buying and selling on here or any other marketplace, so chin up and think of nice things ... Ooooh Hartke ... [url="http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1943&brandID=3"]http://www.samsontech.com/products/product...3&brandID=3[/url] :) :lol: :)

andy

I've never sold anything on BC but I have bought a few basses, cabs, effects etc and have only had positive experiences. I've always had good communication with the seller and they have happily answered any questions I've had. I tend to do extensive research of my own to ensure that any potential purchases are suited to me but I've sold basses elsewhere and been asked some really stupid questions however, I answered all of them politely with the hope that this could be a serious buyer.

I do feel that anyone who arranges to come and try a bass and then is a no show with no communication is just downright rude and there is no need for that.

Please put this one down to experience and realise that the vast majority of BC'ers are great to deal with. It's so unfortunate that you seem to have only had dealings with the worst ones. Chin up, you'll get your basses sold. Sometimes it can just take a little while.

I got hacked off over the years with time wasters on eBay. I now sell everything as Buy It Now and use the buyer must pay immediately via Paypal option. I have lost some potential mug bidders as I am now selling for a price I think it will get but it is so much less hassle it actually makes it enjoyable selling stuff.

Some buyers will be fine, some will be a complete nightmare. Whether on eBay or Basschat.

Edited by kerley

It seems that many people have had pain-free sales and purchases and I congratulate you on this..I just wish I could say the same..

My main gripe is about is how some "would be buyers" ask the most mundane questions without even doing any research of their own - a quick visit to the manufacturers website would yield all the answers to their questions and even answers to questions they hadn't even thought of...worse however are those who you know have no intention of buying but ask daft questions anyway - I answered their questions respectfully and informatively even though I knew they weren't going to part with any cash..

As those I have done business with will confirm I try to answer any questions as truthfully and thoroughly as possible - even though this has been to my own detriment and meant that a sale didn't go through. For instance, Silddx contacted me about my Steinberger and I gave him my honest opinion of the EMG Select P/ups - on the basis of this he decided (and I respect him for this) not to go through with the purchase. However he was polite enough to contact me to tell me why and didn't leave me thinking that a sale was imminent like others had.

The incident where I collected the "would be buyer" of my Warwick Dolphin annoys me because at any time he could have told me he wasn't interested and I would still have driven him and his girlfriend back to the Railway Station - the fact that he repeatedly told me that he "definitely..definitely wanted it" - later rang me to tell me he couldn't realistically afford it THEN placed an ad in the wanted section would, I'm sure, get most people's backs up..

As for people who ask you to hold on to gear only to tell you days later that they've found a "better bass"...I don't know on what basis they thought it was better..well, I think this is just plain ill mannered if not rude - what happened to good manners?? If he's found a DIFFERENT bass well so be it, but to claim it's BETTER without even trying mine is insulting!!

One of the main reasons I frequent this site is that there are some very knowledgeable, generally respectful people and a good community spirit - I feel that when people mess you about all it does is detract from that feeling of community..

Or am I just being naive??

Basschat doesn't owe anyone a sale. I know TheGreek is barely the most guilty party in this respect, but it needs saying - we've seen a few of these threads now, and it wants saying. There are no guarantees.

I like the analogy of BC as a great shop window. But the thing with shop windows is that people will window shop - and it's all the more easier to do so, at a remove, online. People will browse; they will admire; and they will make queries, which might not well translate into sales. There's a little bit of tough love here, but if you don't like it, don't list. You'll anatagonise yourself.

So, a quick bit of 'homework' could dig out all the information online? Oh aye, because - with the bass in your own hands - it would have taken you an age to add the extra detail to your ad? Or some decent pictures? Or some sound? Or an opinion on the nature of the bass?

I think sellers - myself included - should simply have more patience and more pragmatism in our expectations. Yes, there are some genuinely poor examples of buyer behaviour, but I sometimes wonder if we're not our own worst enemies, thinking more generally.

However, enough with the generalisms. I've wanted a grumble about complaining sellers for a while, so I'd thank TheGreek for the opportunity :)

So: deep breaths. Then deeper breaths. I'm sure you'll have luck in the end, but be honest about when items will go and what for; look at other routes to market; perhaps be more discerning with who you deal with; and I wish you all the best in getting your sales completed.

I agree, its free and you get problem transactions anywhere.

I have only had smooth deals here but am hardly prolific and mostly a buyer anyway, but I'd think it lucky
to have these conditions but wouldn't expect it.

I can understand feeling a bit put out being a taxi, but the deal isn't through until the goods are exchanged so there can be work to be done.

I think I need my own thread :)

The Dolphin antics would annoy me - but, it's window shopping. I tried three pairs of Levi jeans on over my lunch hour, before admitting I didn't fancy paying £100 to not be able to feel my ankles (when did jeans get so tight?!?)...

BC comprises a cross-section of people, a small percentage of whom lack the politeness gene. Unfortunate outcomes are therefore to be expected from time to time, whether buying or selling.

Nevertheless the OP seems to have had a bit of a bad run recently, for which commiserations are in order.

Ive done 6 deals here between buying/selling/swapping......all went smooth and everyone ive dealt with has been top drawer,to such a degree that i if im looking i now post here before going near ebay,no one here wants a bad rep or look a prick and its pleasing coming in from work etc to get pm`s from you guys saying cheers,ebay on the other hand isnt as personal and i for one have been bent over n rodgered twice there.....for every bad experience here there will be 1000s good ones,it must have been frustating though for the OP to do all the leg work he did to draw a blank though.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1188072' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:17 PM']Every buyer I have dealt with bought and paid for the gear in one sitting, every trade I have made went smoothly, every bit of gear I bought without seeing has been as described and was sent as soon as payment was made (or even before)

Must be lucky[/quote]

+ 1, and I have bought and sold and traded [size=3][b]a lot [/b][/size]of stuff on here! Sorry to hear your experiences have been bad The Greek :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='1188100' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:32 PM']I think the weight question is pretty fair. There can be quite a big range in weight,even in the same model,so I don't see the problem.[/quote]

Speaking as someone with chronic back problems, big +1 on this. Something like a Fender can vary from 8-12lbs, which is the difference between playable and unusable to me. Otherwise it does sound like you've been unlucky. I've only had good experiences so far.

[quote name='walbassist' post='1188597' date='Apr 5 2011, 07:18 AM']+ 1, and I have bought and sold and traded [size=3][b]a lot [/b][/size]of stuff on here! Sorry to hear your experiences have been bad The Greek :)[/quote]
Likewise, I am on to (speaks quietly) 7 pages of feedback now and have not had a deal go wrong or become unpleasant yet. I've had a couple of occasions where people tried out the kit and it wasn't for them but thats fair enough - pics and a description are not always a good substitute for getting something in your hands and trying out. Sorry your experiences have been a bit cr@p, the Greek, but I can assure you they will not all be like that on this forum

I've had mostly good experiences buying and selling here. The only one that left a sour taste in my mouth was when I sold a little practise combo.

We agreed a price and I posted it without receiving payment first. As the guy is a regular poster and can often be heard pontificating about morality and doing the right thing I didn't think twice about it.

I sent it on the Monday and let him know, but on Saturday I still hadn't heard from him and I was starting to get a bit worried that something had happened to it so I PMed hime and got the reply back "Oh yeah it arrived a couple of days ago. I sent you a message but must have forgotten to press send" Yeah right. How gullible does he think I am, but I did receive payment shortly after.

If he had wanted it on approval I probably would have agreed anyway.

Then a couple of days after that I get a PM from him with a very whiny tone complaining that it wasn't working so I offered him a full refund and also told him to keep the amp. So he would have had the money and the amp and I'd taken it on trust that it was faulty. I never had a problem with it. Then a bit later I get another PM saying it's working after all, it was just the fuse. What!!! Why didn't he just try that first, if it stopped working at all?

So after all this the p***k couldn't even be arsed to leave me some feedback.

My main issue with this forum is the bad manners. I've given a few things away and a couple of times the ill mannered recipients didn't even bother to PM to say it's arrived and thank you. Again they were both regular posters and the items in question were worth a few quid. Everything goes on Freecycle now. Well done BC

Edited by AndyMartin

[quote name='bluesparky' post='1188620' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:15 AM']What would one class as being a "timewaster" as opposed to being unsure and then deciding against it?[/quote]

Is someone who really, really, really wants your item and asks you hold it until they get paid at the end of the week/month (delete as appropriate), only for them not bothering to make contact when paid!? And when chased up... feed you a BS excuse like: Oh, my car needed repaired, my equipment was stolen, I play guitar now etc. Get the drift!

Manners and courtesy definitely required from some members and a touch of realism as well. For example: I did a favor for a member on here it comprised of him selling an almost new instrument but without the fender goodies of which, I had. Now this member is one of the decent good guys of whom I have tremendous respect for, just before any one makes snap judgments on his integrity! I contacted him, offered the goodies free, he thanked me and asked if I would post it to the member who had just bought the bass, I did and got absolutely no thanks from the buyer! Not even an courtesy mail saying he had received the package.

Ah some people eh! However, again, It is all negated by the chatters I have had the pleasure of buying, selling gear with over the years and interacting with them on a social level.

Edited by andy67

[quote name='TheGreek' post='1188056' date='Apr 4 2011, 06:05 PM']The only positive experience I've had from selling/trying to sell on this site is that Pantherairsoft bought my Ashbory. (nice one!!)[/quote]

The [i]only [/i]positive experience? What displeased you about our transaction?

[quote name='andy67' post='1188630' date='Apr 5 2011, 08:39 AM']Ah some people eh! However, again, It is all negated by the chatters I have had the pleasure of buying, selling gear with over the years and interacting with them on a social level.[/quote]

That sums it up for me. I had a run not dissimilar to the O/P a few years back and threw my toys out of the cot about it, but the majority of BC members are a pleasure to deal with (Allen Baker excepted). These days before entering into a deal, over and above looking at their feedback, I take a look at the member in question's previous threads and posts and ask myself if they're the sort of person who might cause problems. I've only once been put off one trade on that basis. I've been involved in four deals that have left me feeling ripped off, two of which were resolved amicably and two of which weren't. I left negative feedback for the latter two and they've not been seen on the forum under those user names since, which probably says something about the importance of a good reputation here?

C

I've had many wonderful deals on here, met some fantastic guys and have aquired/sold equipment at excellent prices, so I cant complain at all. Only minor hiccup was when I waited in all Saturday morning and afternoon for someone who was coming round to collect and pay for a bass, then he e mailed me in the evening to say sorry, but he had popped into PMT as he was passing it and spent all the money on another bass!! Just to rub salt in the wounds he then told me it was an impulse purchase and he didnt really like it when he got home......(serves him right!)

I also, have a flawless record for my transactions on here, i personally like to help out as much as i can when i'm selling as I believe what goes around, comes around.
(to the point that i've sent a mislaid box & also instructions on several weeks later for something i've sold).

One rather amusing sale was when i contacted the potential buyer, who turned out to be a mate of mine and neither of us really realised it was us until i dialled his number and his name came up on my phone.

It's fair enough if people back out because of genuine reasons, but it's the difference between common courtesy and indecisiveness, surely? Like, there have been loads of things that I've looked at in the for sale section and thought "hmmmm...", but haven't followed up on because I know in my heart that I can't really afford it or don't actually need it, so I don't make contact. It's taken some serious thought at times, which sounds ridiculous, but I'd much rather do that and make the right choice than get in touch because the deal looks cool and then decide it's not for me after building hopes up.

If there's a genuine reason why a sale can't go ahead, then fair enough. But more times than not, a bit of thought before hand can make a lot of difference and save a lot of time.

[quote name='bobpalt' post='1188708' date='Apr 5 2011, 10:13 AM']Only minor hiccup was when I waited in all Saturday morning and afternoon for someone who was coming round to collect and pay for a bass, then he e mailed me in the evening to say sorry, but he had popped into PMT as he was passing it and spent all the money on another bass!![/quote]
Less than ideal under the circumstances. Cause for serious frostiness, IMO.

On the upside, Bob, I am loving your avatar. Entirely encapsulates that 'cornucopia of choice' moment that makes life worth living.

Edited by skankdelvar