Why become a member? ×

Stage positions

Bloc Riff Nut

Before our last gig I had a bit of a discussion with one of our guitarists.
I wanted the stage position next to the keys with the guitars together on the otherside. He wanted one guitar left and 1 right.
We're a 6 piece singer drums bass keys guit 1 and guit 2.
What do most bands with 2 guits do with their set-up?
Where do you stand?

Phil.

[quote name='Bloc Riff Nut' post='1181082' date='Mar 29 2011, 05:51 PM']Before our last gig I had a bit of a discussion with one of our guitarists.
I wanted the stage position next to the keys with the guitars together on the otherside. He wanted one guitar left and 1 right.
We're a 6 piece singer drums bass keys guit 1 and guit 2.
What do most bands with 2 guits do with their set-up?
Where do you stand?

Phil.[/quote]

I prefer having the drummer to my right, even if i'm in forward of the kit when there is room, but it varies from band to band and often from gig to gig

Take the humble bass players approach, blend in, shine with your playing, hold it together and let the others have centre stage, unless of course your also the front man :)

I sometimes play in a band with 2 guitarists, they usually go wide, and argue who should go on the less cluttered side so they're more noticeable, although, they say its to do with pedal boards etc.

Edited by lojo

As a bass player I always try and set up next to the drummer on his snare drum side.

As for the other members of the band - in the covers band I'm currently in both guitarists set up on the other side of the stage. The band I was in before that with two guitarists they were on opposite sides, but one of them also played keyboards so it made sense when you took into account the space taken up by these on his side of the stage.

Of course don't go by anything I say. My first gigging band which had a line up of Vocals, Guitar, Bass, 2 Synth Players and a Percussionist used to set up with the Vocalist, myself on bass and the Percussionist across the front of the stage (we were the 3 most interesting from a visual and performance PoV) with the guitarist and synth players at the back.

If I have any say in the matter, next to the hi-hats. I move quite a bit and this means I can twist away happily without fear of cymbals getting toppled. For some reason I feel like I can lock in on the drum groove better this side, there's probably some science in that somewhere.

[quote name='scalpy' post='1181126' date='Mar 29 2011, 06:18 PM']If I have any say in the matter, next to the hi-hats. I move quite a bit and this means I can twist away happily without fear of cymbals getting toppled. For some reason I feel like I can lock in on the drum groove better this side, there's probably some science in that somewhere.[/quote]

Same here, stage left if possible.

Edited by rOB

[quote name='rOB' post='1181158' date='Mar 29 2011, 06:45 PM']Same here, stage left if possible.[/quote]
Same here, for two reasons:

1. I initially found it easier to lock in with the drummer from this side
2. Now my hearing is damaged beyond repair in my right ear, I`ll keep it that way, and not damage the left ear as well, by moving to the other side, and having all of the band go in the left ear.

I used to stand stage left with the drummer and his snare to my right.

In my latest band the guitarist likes to stand stage left so I'm on the other side. TBH it doesn't bother me at all. In fact I can see the guitarist fretboard better this way so I can sneek a peek to see what he is playing if I get a bit lost, but this itsn't all that usefull.

I generally find myself stage left, but it can be a pain in more complicated numbers as you are looking away from the rest of the band.

I am currently in a band with a left handed drummer, so may make an appeal for stage right.

[quote name='Heathy' post='1181345' date='Mar 29 2011, 08:28 PM']I generally find myself stage left, but it can be a pain in more complicated numbers as you are looking away from the rest of the band.[/quote]

Being stage left makes it easier for the rest of the band to see what I'm doing if they start doubting what they should be doing.

I go stage right between the drums and guitarist with the keyboard beyond that. The left of the stage is taken up with the four piece brass section (it's a soul band). I often stand forward next to the singer as the guitarist tends to want to hang around at the back. There are times, though, when I want to see the bass drum pedal.

You could almost say that we are divided on each side between rock 'n' rollers and classical boys. We tease the brass about always needing notes, even after fifteen years. We learnt a new song once and they wrote it out in red biro. When the lights were switched to red all the music disappeared - much mockery from the rhythm section!

[quote name='lojo' post='1181086' date='Mar 29 2011, 05:55 PM']I prefer having the drummer to my right, even if i'm in forward of the kit when there is room, but it varies from band to band and often from gig to gig

Take the humble bass players approach, blend in, shine with your playing, hold it together and let the others have centre stage, unless of course your also the front man :)

I sometimes play in a band with 2 guitarists, they usually go wide, and argue who should go on the less cluttered side so they're more noticeable, although, they say its to do with pedal boards etc.[/quote]

[quote name='scalpy' post='1181126' date='Mar 29 2011, 06:18 PM']If I have any say in the matter, next to the hi-hats. I move quite a bit and this means I can twist away happily without fear of cymbals getting toppled. For some reason I feel like I can lock in on the drum groove better this side, there's probably some science in that somewhere.[/quote]

Yep,Yep all of this plus the one :)

IMO bass player should always be stage left unless drummer is a leftie in which case reverse it. Makes eye contact etc easier as there's less cymbals in the way and most drummers don't sit perfectly straight as they tend to angle very slightly towards snare and hi hat. If playing with two guitards it's always best to split them to either sides of the stage to stop their egos banging together and starting fisticuffs.

Are the bassists who go stage left all right-handed? I like to be stage left as I feel [s]my headstock is in the way of the rest of the band[/s] the rest of the band are in the way of the headstock if I'm stage right.

Edited by chaypup