Why become a member? ×

How many of you own only one bass?

Lozz196

Until Recently All I've needed is my G&L L2000 Tribby. But now I'm gassing for a back up, and after seeing the new overwater by Tanglewood basses I really want to try one out. But I'm working on becoming debt free within a year and my mates getting married in OZ next year so I'm gonna have to wait :)

Unless you're in a pro or in a band?

As I'm not a pro-golfer, I'll be returning my second putter this afternoon; also my spare pair of football boots, since I don't think Leeds will be ringing me now; and everything else which merely satisfies my amateur needs :)

Madness! It's a hobby. Fill your boots. Ignore any elitest drivel, consumers of the world - have more than one!

If you enjoy it; if it gives you pleasure; if you're not harming anyone; do it - own more basses :)

I did own 3 at one point, then sold 2 to fund my drinking habits of the time...
Since then my priorities have changed as I have refound my passion for bass.
Still got my baby though, getting new pickups, strings, a rewire and all of the hardware is getting a good metal polishing on her soon to say sorry for the time I left her collecting dust (and because I'm bored of the sound)
Building a fretless p as well to add to it so I'll be up to 2.

I do want more basses but I'm digging myself so deep in debt improving my current setup that it's not really viable.

Edited by Ross

I seriously can't play like I used to, due to health issues - but that doesn't stop me.....

Currently at 5 basses and two guitars, all pretty much cheaper stuff - nothing over £500 - and I have my eye on a couple of others.

I have often been told that it is a waste of money in my situation. But lets face it, at the very least they are decoration - and how many people speed twice this on a vase - I enjoy playing them when I can, and I know they will go to a good home when I shuffle off this mortal coil - my two kids are already arguing over who is going to get what :)

Edited by arsenic

I'm one of the 7%. I only own a Precision although I do hanker after a Jazz from time to time for noodling purposes.

I've owned about 3 or 4 Jazzes in the past and always end up selling them. I'm not really a collecter of anything and don't really feel comfortable owning lots of "stuff" no matter what it is and I guess that feeling extends to basses. It's probably my inner Hippy.

[quote]I have only one now..... my Smith.[/quote]

I'm with VoxPop here..........although technically I [b]do[/b] own an Ibanez Electro Acoustic but since that never leaves the house and therefore has never ever been gigged, and since it hasnt been out of its case in a year I don't think that counts.
Beng bass gasless is a very weird thing to get used to, after so long scouring for sale boards to get my Smith, at the moment I'm a very happy bunny.

S

I have a KGB fretted headless that I had custom made in 1991 and a Tune Bass piezo fretless which I bought just over a year ago. I'd count this as one because I consider fretless/fretted basses to be completely different instruments.

If I had more space I'd love to get an EUB and maybe another fretless with magnetic pickups, but I don't at the moment so I can't...I've never owned more than 2 separate basses at a time though. I doubt I'd ever get another frettted bass as I love the KGB so much and I can get pretty much any tone I like from it. I guess it depends on what you are into, but I can't really see why anyone would want multiple instruments which are all very similar and do the same job. Backup? My bass has never let me down in 20 years...

I had 7 or 8 at one time but only have 1 and its not one of the usual suspects.

My Epiphone Gothic Thunderbird that I fitted EMG HZs and Roto flats does everything.

I am, however, planning a purchase next year as I celebrate my silver jubilee (25 years in old money) since I began playing. I'm going for a Gibson Thunderbird but something a bit special like a Bicentennial or one of those dark blues Japan only fellows I missed out on a couple of years back

• 4 weeks later...

For 35 years only one and for 25 of those it was the same one, Jaydee Roadie 1A.

Since then it seems I caught the bug and one has been added every year or so for the last few years so now, to my shame actually, I have 5 in this order:
The Jaydee; Fender Bitsa Precision; Pre-EB MM; '76 Fender Precision; American Jazz Deluxe

Funny though, I have said that I'd never sell the Jaydee but haven't used for a couple of years and it is now not considered so indispensable.

If I was down to one it'd be my Jazz Deluxe which is probably the least precious but very adaptable. MM is better (fav bass ever) and the one I'd least like to lose but would bring most money.

• 5 weeks later...

I have three basses, but part of me wishes I only had one. I've been having financial problems and could really use the money if I sold my cheap Squier backup, and one of my two main basses.

I wouldn't find it hard to sell the backup, but I just couldn't bring myself to sell either of the basses in my avatar! I love them both too much :)