Why become a member? ×

How many of you own only one bass?

Lozz196

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='1270616' date='Jun 15 2011, 08:22 PM']1 x fretted
1 x fretless
1 x acoustic
1 x EUB
... er ... and another ...
1 x fretted ...

... so that is 1x1x1x1x1=1

:)[/quote]
:) That's brilliant.

I have just one, at the moment. This may become two soon though.

I keep trying to tell myself one or two really expensive Bass's must be a better option than 11 cheaper ones . . . . . would certainly free up some space and some cash to put toward a nice Macbook Pro . . . something I've wanted to get for recording stuff for a long time !

So, I keep telling myself this . . . and trying to talk myself into doing it ? . . . . . but even with a reasonable motive to sell . . . I still just find it really hard (er impossible !) to sell any of the ones I've picked up over the years . . . . there's something about owning them all and gigging or playing them every now and then ! . . . they all have a character and sound of their own ? . . . .

Ah well . . . . no Macbook Pro . . . and No spare room for a home studio either ! ! !

But 11 Bass guitars . . . . ? ? ? . . . not to mention a couple of Telecasters three Acoustics and two Mandolins ?

Is there something wrong with me ? . . .

:) . . or . . :)

I only had one until I started gigging, and then I just got too worried that something was going to go wrong, so I got another one. Now, my CV Jazz is my main gigging and rehearsing bass and my Squier Affinity P stays out of the bag for home practice. At gigs, I take both (unless it's an outdoors free festival where Lenny Light Fingers might be hanging around) - never needed to use the backup, but it's there just in case.

I've never really suffered from GAS for new instruments, although I'm irrationally hankering after an upright now, even though I haven't got the slightest idea of how to play it.

Edited by lanark

I've got 5 at the minute...

2x5 strings Warwicks, one fretted one fretless for my proggy band
2x4 string jazz basses, one fender one bitsa for my covers band
and a 5 string bitsa jazz tuned E-C and thats for ermmm well its pretty and it was a good price :)

[quote]Nah, I have spent plenty and I'm really sh*t still[/quote]

Now that IS a club I could join..........in fact I'd probbly get an honourary membership.

Thank god luthiers don't audition their basses, the poor buggers sweat blood making these fab basses, then we - well me specifically - hack our way through dodgy covers in dodgy bands in horrible venues.

I suppose the same could be said for any quality item............

Buying a Rolls Royce doesn't make you a great driver - just makes you feel like one, and isn't that REALLY the whole point ????

S

I have too many and am aiming to end up with 4:

Fretless (Wal Mk1)
Precision (YOB '63)
Jazz ('Herbie Flowers' replica)
5-string P or J

Am trying to sell my fretted Wal (which I haven't gelled with, unlike my fretless Wal) and will try to sell my seafoam green Bacchus '62 Jazz when I can persuade Mrs C that "a lovely colour" is not a good enough reason to hang on to a bass!

Of course this list doesn't include my acoustic instruments (Eko bass, Zeller DB, Eminence EUB)!!!!

I have one Bass that i love with all my heart but i am a man of simple pleasures.

my two loves: Playing Bass (i only own one Bass) & Mountain biking (i also only own 1 Bike)

some people think i'm a freak, but i'm just built like that.

[quote name='fumps' post='1271788' date='Jun 16 2011, 04:33 PM']I have one Bass that i love with all my heart but i am a man of simple pleasures.

my two loves: Playing Bass (i only own one Bass) & Mountain biking (i also only own 1 Bike)

some people think i'm a freak, but i'm just built like that.[/quote]

ever tried doing both at the same time?

I only have 1 bass at the moment, my squire affinity P-bass, although I am looking at upgrading my armoury with either a g and l tribute l2000, sterling by musicman ray34(ca) or possibly a second hand ernie ball musicman stingray.

I think I've only ever owned 1 bass at a time and never had more than two in my possession.

Nothing against having a collection, just never needed more than one at a time. Do have two guitars though one is a twelve string.

I have 7 but 3 really belong to my daughter since I gave them to her, (although I snook one back).
Two of the remaining four are in bits, with one not at all likely to be useful even when complete.(1964 Teisco Telebass).
The other will be a Jazz bodied P/J, hopefully adding a different flavour to the remaining two Jazzes, which to be honest, I do need, as there are about 6 detuned songs in the set, and I can`t be arsed de+re-tuning 12 times while the drummer stares at me with his sticks in the air.
Only one of them cost a bit. the others are good quality(I think) Bitsas for a specific job of work.
And a double bass.
And two accoustic guitars
And erm, the Uke.

Those Mustangs though..Hmmmmmmmm :)