Why become a member? ×

Rotosound Customer Service

Machines

Last Saturday at the London Bass Show I bought one of Rotosound clip-on tuners for £5 which I thought was a bargain. However, upon attempting to use it the day after, it was DOA ! Changed the battery - nothing ! It'd light up but no display at all.

Even though it was only £5, and being the ever whinger that I am, I emailed Rotosound. I got a response back the next day (bearing in mind I sent the mail Sunday) and was offered a newer model to replace it at no charge. Picked it up from post office today and it's doing it's job nicely ! Rotosound could have easily asked me to send the faulty one back and they'd ship another, but no questions asked.

Thumbs up to Jason at Rotosound for his swift action ! It's nice to see their Chairman/CEO dealing with customers :).

[quote name='Machines' post='1167312' date='Mar 18 2011, 03:49 PM']Last Saturday at the London Bass Show I bought one of Rotosound clip-on tuners for £5 which I thought was a bargain. However, upon attempting to use it the day after, it was DOA ! Changed the battery - nothing ! It'd light up but no display at all.

Even though it was only £5, and being the ever whinger that I am, I emailed Rotosound. I got a response back the next day (bearing in mind I sent the mail Sunday) and was offered a newer model to replace it at no charge. Picked it up from post office today and it's doing it's job nicely ! Rotosound could have easily asked me to send the faulty one back and they'd ship another, but no questions asked.

Thumbs up to Jason at Rotosound for his swift action ! It's nice to see their Chairman/CEO dealing with customers :).[/quote]

I once had one of their A strings go dead on me within an hour of fitting. I emailed rotosound, again expecting to have to go through the process of sending the bad string back, etc. Instead I got an extremely apologetic reply from Jason Howe himself, and they sent out a whole new set of strings, no questions asked.

I used to deal with Rotosound a lot in 2 jobs in the past. They always had stock, the staff were very knowledgeable and friendly, and they shipped stuff out almost instantly. If only all companies were like that in the music industry!

Edited by thumbo

Yeap, big high five for all the team at Rotosound. They (including Jason and John at LBGS this weekend) have always bent over backwards to help me. Behind the scenes is a great lady called Coral who works tirelessly dealing with orders. Thanks Coral, absolutely brilliant!

Infact, expect an interesting (I hope) post from me re: Rotosound in (hopefully) the next few days!

I've been using Roto's in guitar & bass for almost 30 years. I've tried Fender (worst of the lot), Ernie Ball & D'addario but never for long, in fact, not of more than a one packet trial. Always gone back to Roto's. Now I just wouldn't bother trying any others at all.

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1167418' date='Mar 18 2011, 05:08 PM']A few people here knock Rotosound but I've been using them for a while now & this is all very pleasing to hear :)[/quote]

Agree, Rotos are the best for me, and great to hear that they are a company who value their customers.

I had a long chat with Jason a few years ago when I was at their stand at Manson's guitar show in Exeter, waiting for JJ Burnel to turn up for a poster signing. Really nice bloke, and when JJ did turn up, Jason offered to take a photo of me and him, and Emailed it to me. I was quite impressed when he told me he was their chief exec! I don't dislike their strings, except that I've found others that keep their 'zing' longer, but I have a lot of time for Jason.

When I started playing guitar >30 years ago Rotosound was one of the first makes of strings I tried - and very quickly dumped because they'd go dead and start being difficult to tune within a week (really).

About 5 years ago I bought a new JJ goldtop at Music live, and asked Tony Muschamp (owner of JJ then) what strings they used and recommended - I was surprised to hear 'Rotosound'. I used it from time to time and the strings stayed good for quite a while - complete contrast to the Rotos I remembered from my youth! For most of my other guitars I use DR, but for the JJ I still fit Rotos. At some stage I'll have to try some of their bass strings.

I give Rotosound top marks for customer service.

I had a problem getting a few sets from a local store. Waited over two weeks for them to fail to get them. Contacted Roto direct who confirmed that they had never received the order.
To make up for it they not only sent me my order direct but doubled the quantities. That worked out at 5 sets free.
:)

[quote name='Machines' post='1169181' date='Mar 20 2011, 08:49 AM']Do you want me to give him a nudge for you ? Perhaps they could still come ? :)[/quote]

Just asked if they would kindly donate some strings for a Raffle Prize for the Bash but got no reply. Gave them loads of details too...maybe instead of a nudge, you could give Nigel a slap! (Sorry, I'll get me coat!)

For the sake of clarity, my comment regarding "a slap" relates to "slap bass" and not a violent act.....!

Edited by yorks5stringer

I used there Standard Gauge Nickel Swing Bass Sets years ago and thought they sounded great, and better still they were easy to get hold of, but had to stop using them because of there inconsistency from pack to pack.. had quite a few sets with a dead E string from new, tried using them again years later and found same problem occasionally, so decided it was too much of a risk buying them.

don't know much about there other sets but has anyone else found this with there Standard Nickel Swing Bass sets ?

Edited by EddyGlee

[quote name='Machines' post='1167312' date='Mar 18 2011, 03:49 PM']Last Saturday at the London Bass Show I bought one of Rotosound clip-on tuners for £5 which I thought was a bargain. However, upon attempting to use it the day after, it was DOA ! Changed the battery - nothing ! It'd light up but no display at all.

Thumbs up to Jason at Rotosound for his swift action ! It's nice to see their Chairman/CEO dealing with customers :).[/quote]

I've been having the exact same problem with mine! Did you just email them and they sent you a new one, or did you have to show a receipt or anything as I don't have that anymore... :/

[quote name='EddyGlee' post='1169664' date='Mar 20 2011, 04:33 PM']I used there Standard Gauge Nickel Swing Bass Sets years ago and thought they sounded great, and better still they were easy to get hold of, but had to stop using them because of there inconsistency from pack to pack.. had quite a few sets with a dead E string from new, tried using them again years later and found same problem occasionally, so decided it was too much of a risk buying them.

don't know much about there other sets but has anyone else found this with there Standard Nickel Swing Bass sets ?[/quote]

I'm a reasonably recent convert to Swing Bass Nickel user and so far have not experienced this. I've probably had 3 or 4 sets now; I'll keep an ear open for this happening...

Many years using Rotbass 40s (nickel Swing Bass with no silk) and I've never had a bad set. As all my basses were strung with them, and all in use, I got through quite a lot of 'em! All good.

The only thing I did not like about Rotosound was when they stopped making Superwound 505s. Best bass string ever. Contact core pressurewounds. Great on any type of bass, fretted or fretless, easy on fingers and frets. If they re-introduced them, I'd even dump my TI Jazz flats to change back.

Their local rep, Roger Channing, is always good and knowledgeable. Also a fount of knowledge and experience of playing in tribute bands (Upbeat Beatles, and damned good they are too). And when he was on leave once, Jason visited instead! Great team of people.

Edited by Telebass