Why become a member? ×

God I hate ........ slap bass

Clarky

It's silly to dismiss any technique as irrelevant as all things in the right place are fine - but high volume and tons of clashing slapping going on at the same time = instant headache

I still love slap in the right context and with musicality and groove it's all good - though personally speaking I'm pretty much using fingerstyle exclusively these days.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='1159647' date='Mar 12 2011, 06:07 PM']My apologies, my rant about this particular subject is in the other thread about the Olympia show!
I've no personal objection to people playing slap as fast and loud as they can whenever they try something out, if that's what and how they play, which i somehow doubt.
[b] It's also the looking around / up to see if anyone is watching and approving which also grinds my gears.[/b] Hey ho!
:)[/quote]
This was apoint I made about a guy we all spotted at bass day for the last 3 years (some of you will know who I mean?) and it turned out one of his pupils was a BC member who piped up saying the guy is really self concious and thats why he was looking around! Bollards, Its these guys version of a gig.

[quote name='Machines' post='1159802' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:15 PM']Wow, exactly the same as today ! And also Bass Day 2008, 2009, 2010...[/quote]
GB won 2008/09 but last year I think the Shuker stand won the typing pool slap fest award and it wasnt Doods playing :) , Markbass stand always plays all over the act on the boomstand down the bottom where they have their stand, I emailed Stevie Williams about it last time as it really gets on my thrupennys! I guess Dave Marks wasnt too pleased either?

Im not sure what the options are for these things as Im told the retailers pay such good money they are not prepared to have slots rotating around so as demos are more audable for all, I have news for the retailers, The current way aint making us want to buy stuff!

Edited by stingrayPete1977

The worst two offenders (IMHO) were the guy on the Rotosound stand with the Warwick Streamer, who was dong all this multiple finger tapping and slapping stuff, and the fuzzy haired guy on the Krampera stand who seemed to be in a world of his own, thwacking away and ignoring any would-be customers! Awfully clever technically, utterly awful and unmusical to listen to.

[quote name='Clarky' post='1159826' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:40 PM']The worst two offenders (IMHO) were the guy on the Rotosound stand with the Warwick Streamer, who was dong all this multiple finger tapping and slapping stuff.[/quote]
Seen him a few times. Each occurrence has led to me wanting to see him savaged by a pack of rabid badgers.

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1159779' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:04 PM']It doesn't have to be tinny. Larry Graham's tone is meaty as a hog-roast![/quote]

Don't mention Hog Roast.
My Mother's here for the weekend and she's vegetarian :) .
Karl.

For believers;

[url="http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/Jay-Dee-Jay-Dee-Mark-King-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar--Pre-Owned/product/9279"]http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/Jay-Dee-Ja...ed/product/9279[/url]

Edited by karlfer

Agreed, there IS a time and a place for 'slap bass' - 2pm, Saturday afternoon, any music shop you'd care to mention. Don't get me wrong, I can slap, and enjoy doing it, but it's a guilty secret, and never makes it to rehearsals or gigs (unless the song ABSOLUTELY requires it), I've even played 'Carwash' fingerstyle before now.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I live only about an hour away, so we left the show at midday
and headed off to Camden Town to check out the gear in the Bass Gallery, just glad we didn't
make a long trip like some of you guys/gals.

And I now wish we had got out of the lift on the 2nd floor, and gone to the [b]Dr Who[/b] exhibition instead!

The sound of slapping will live with me forever!

Like most people have already stated, I'm not against it, and I admire the technique immensly, but..........

It seemed like they were out to break the world speed record at playing a bass.

As for the show? it took us no more than 40 minutes to go round the lot, and I would rather have spent a morning
in Colchester at the Bass Merchant, looking and trying out gear in peaceful surroundings.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1159606' date='Mar 12 2011, 05:41 PM']Its probably the most annoying way to 'test' a bass. There is more to the bass than slap sound!

I dont mind it, but its more important to hear the different finger/pick tones![/quote]
I may be in the minority here, but I say if people wanna slap, let them slap! it's just another way of playing the instrument. Obviously, listening to a roomful of people making a din by slapping at a trade show or bass day won't give you a particularly representative example of it's merits, but that shouldn't make you think it's some kind of anti social behavior any more than people who tap on bass, which personally I'm not a big fan of but can appreciate that some people have found their voice on the instrument by playing it that way. Lets not get small minded here, people!

[quote name='ras52' post='1159608' date='Mar 12 2011, 05:41 PM']I'll be there tomorrow - is there an earplug vendor there?[/quote]

Yes ! your ears can be individually moulded at the show. The cheaper ones were on sale today too, around £10.00 region. For anyone going tomorrow, it would be wise to have earplugs handy :)

Just got back from the Bass show and I agree 100 percent with Clarky. There were more slappers in the trade hall than a Friday night down the town after payday.
Most were pre-pubescents or the guy from the Rotosound stand .
Obvoiusly they did not attend the TM Stevens workshop, he emphasized the role of the bass player was to make the other musicians sound good , not draw attention to themselves .

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='1159908' date='Mar 12 2011, 09:50 PM']I may be in the minority here, but I say if people wanna slap, let them slap! it's just another way of playing the instrument. Obviously, listening to a roomful of people making a din by slapping at a trade show or bass day won't give you a particularly representative example of it's merits, but that shouldn't make you think it's some kind of anti social behavior any more than people who tap on bass, which personally I'm not a big fan of but can appreciate that some people have found their voice on the instrument by playing it that way. Lets not get small minded here, people![/quote]

No... I can't abide slap bass or the bass players responsible.

My Mrs glanced at this thread and thought it was about bassists wearing too much makeup - that means Gene Simmons and Mark King have something more in common than we think!

[quote name='martin8708' post='1159948' date='Mar 12 2011, 10:27 PM']or the guy from the Rotosound stand .[/quote]

I live round the corner from their place - must put a poo through their letterbox for you.

I love slap, if it's well played and fits the song.
BUT I thought today was damaged by the amount of w***ery going on (slap or otherwise). I don't think I heard one person actually trying to groove or play the kind of thing you would need in a band.
Well, except TM Stevens, who was brilliant at emphasising the need for restraint (and this is a man who can parradiidle with the best).

I thought the Musicman stand was brilliant. You had six headphone amps with people slapping away, but you could hear tasteful double bass Jazz from their in house pro player. :)

Just finished a run of shows at the local theatre. Some friends in the audience tonight dared me to slap one note in the first song of the second half. Of course I obliged, especially as the song was a sensitive ballad. They didn't hear it.

Great, sounds like i'm going to have a good day tomorrow then.

I like slap when it's played well and with a groove, but don't get the OTT type of players.

I think someone else said on this thread "slap doesn't kill people" but "people kill slap"

hope i bump into some other BCers, i'll be the one wrapping a bass around the Rotosound mans head by the sound of it :)

[quote name='cd_david' post='1159699' date='Mar 12 2011, 06:40 PM']

The only tasteful and really functional slap i can think of.[/quote]

This is just a classic example of slap being used to heighten a tune, it's sat so well with the kit and it's just a great bit of playing from Freddie Washington.

[quote name='risingson' post='1160061' date='Mar 13 2011, 12:38 AM']This is just a classic example of slap being used to heighten a tune, it's sat so well with the kit and it's just a great bit of playing from Freddie Washington.[/quote]
I absolutely agree. However this bears next to no relation to the slap pyrotechnics at today's Bass Show!

Yes. That line there has a balance between melodic progression and controlled, mild slap, with the balance weighted towards the melody.
Much of what was going around today was uncontrolled, or poorly controlled slap with little, or no melody attached.

Perhaps a deep desire to be a drummer after all ? :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1159826' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:40 PM']The worst two offenders (IMHO) were the guy on the Rotosound stand with the Warwick Streamer, who was dong all this multiple finger tapping and slapping stuff,[/quote]

I'm all for fancy technique,and I wasn't at the show,but if I'm thinking of the same guy he really gets on my wick.

Mind you,his name actually is an onomatopoeia for the sounds he makes. :)