Why become a member? ×

God I hate ........ slap bass

Clarky

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1161047' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:10 PM']For me, Flea's non slap playing far outshines any of his manic slap stuff. I loved a lot of the intelligent rock playing on Californication.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more. That is always my main problem with Flea. If he played like that more often he'd be really great but as he doesn't he's too hit or miss for me to enjoy a full album because he inevitably ruins it.

The other thing with Flea is that (IMO) he is really overrated by beginners, but really underrated by more advanced players.

I think 'Under the Bridge' and 'Scar Tissue' are really great bass lines but the amount of guff slap stuff means they are just tiny glimpses of greatness.

[quote name='Soloshchenko' post='1161047' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:10 PM']For me, Flea's non slap playing far outshines any of his manic slap stuff. I loved a lot of the intelligent rock playing on Californication.[/quote]

+1 The chorus to Easily is a great bit of playing. As is Soul to Squeeze. Often very under rated player

[quote name='obbm' post='1160904' date='Mar 13 2011, 07:44 PM']Whether you like slap or not is not really the real issue. Exhibitors employ artists/musicians/bassists/call them what you will to demo their equipment/entertain the punters. In some strange warped way they think that using slappers will achieve this. It is they who have got it wrong.

If they knew that by doing this they were driving paying customers away, then they wouldn't use them. Do what they did in the old days and hire some attractive chatty women (sorry, a bit sexist, but it works).

The only way to stop it happening again is to tell them. Maybe BC should lobby the offending exhibitors and tell them what we think.

Edit: Those who feel strongly about it should write to the Readers Letters page in BGM. I think I will.[/quote]
I went with my credit card in my pocket, hoping to try out some gear, and maybe spend some money I haven't got.

But I left after 45 minutes, as it would have been impossible to test any gear out properly, and how could I possibly play "normal" bass lines amongst all the speedsters doing their stuff?

I would have spent my time better at somewhere like the Bass Merchant in Colchester, where I could try out gear in quiet and pleasent surroundings.

[b]36 hours later, and I can still hear all that crazy slapping!!![/b]

Went to bass show today and walked straight into a chorus of slapping. Some of it was amazing but there was just wayyyy too much for my liking!
I'll admit to contributing but I only did it to see how the tone varies on different basses/amps, seeing as I went there to find a new Amp/5 String.

I did feel quite bad for the Amp corner as they had a slap monster tearing up a Warwick bass in the Ampeg section... Amazing, but you felt somewhat inadequate if you just played a nice simple groove nearby!

When you have people like Stu Hamm, TM Stevens and Mark King performing then people are going to be slap happy.

Slapping lowlight: Hearing and Seeing a guy literally HITTING the strings on a Fodera Imperial trying to get a sound out of it.

Apart from that it was a great show! :)

EDIT: Sorry for posting it 7 times!! :) got a bit frustrated with the post reply button and my slow internet..

Edited by jamesbass116

[quote name='MythSte' post='1161176' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:52 PM']Hey Clarky, I slapped your Alleva Copello when your back was turned :lol:

Great to meet you :)[/quote]
Not my AC? noooooooooo!

Likewise great to meet you. Mrs Tinman will be very jealous :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1160954' date='Mar 13 2011, 10:18 PM']Title of OP amended to make my view clearer :)[/quote]

Fair enough.... :)

I thought perhaps people use slap in a noisy environment so they can (ironically, I know) hear what they are playing. Plus, as mentioned, demoing basses with slap tends to attract more attention than (for example) someone playing an ostinato reggae groove.

[quote name='BassNovice' post='1161301' date='Mar 14 2011, 07:04 AM']Seems to me the people who hate slap are the ones who can't do it....much like the guy who couldn't get the chick so calls her names :)

Because there is no denying it...slap sounds amazing..with the correct tone and the right song!![/quote]
Nope

12chars

Slap, like everything has it's time and place.

The thing about slap, it's a bit of a trick. It's all about muscle training - and any clown can get something which (arguably) sounds good and will impress your mates in a relatively short period of time. Now, shred some fingerstyle with musicality... that's a trick... and not many people can do that. Understanding scales, modes and the like takes time... far longer than building up slap motor skills. And hence why none of us heard a lot of it at the London Bass Show.

If you are a slap player, then of course, you are going to pull a few strings just to hear how it bites and reacts.
You also need to hear the rest of the way it sounds as well, so all would be part and parcel of the demo.

Slap for slap sake is just as tedious as tapping etc etc ...

[quote name='LawrenceH' post='1160998' date='Mar 13 2011, 09:39 PM']Reading through the later posts on this made me think probably the problem is having any kind of gathering of bass players.[/quote]

Collective nouns:

A flock of sheep
A murder of crows
A gaggle of geese
A pod of whales

A slap of bassplayers

:)

[quote name='BassNovice' post='1161301' date='Mar 14 2011, 07:04 AM']Seems to me the people who hate slap are the ones who can't do it....much like the guy who couldn't get the chick so calls her names :)

Because there is no denying it...slap sounds amazing..with the correct tone and the right song!![/quote]

Couldn't agree more.... I love slap and believe there should be more of it.... :0)

.....but then again I do use a Mac, only play in a tribute and function band, own an iPhone, thinks Guy Pratt is a cock and loves slap bass....... :)

[quote name='crez5150' post='1161338' date='Mar 14 2011, 08:11 AM']Couldn't agree more.... I love slap and believe there should be more of it.... :0)

.....but then again I do use a Mac, only play in a tribute and function band, own an iPhone, thinks Guy Pratt is a cock and loves slap bass....... :)[/quote]
Is your name TIM? :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1161402' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:18 AM']I feel a lot of slappers are like those chavs in their Saxos banging out D 'n B at high volumes, they think it's impressive and everybody wants to hear it but most people think they are dicks.[/quote]
*stifles giggle*

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1161402' date='Mar 14 2011, 09:18 AM']I feel a lot of slappers are like those chavs in their Saxos banging out D 'n B at high volumes, they think it's impressive and everybody wants to hear it but most people think they are dicks.[/quote]

Apart from middle aged men with cardigans and Foderas don't drive chavved out Saxos!