Why become a member? ×

Yuk, and double-Yuk.

Happy Jack

They aren't doing themselves any favours by adding the blingy sparkles into the pics.
The product itself seems ok. Presumably you just put one on... but it looks that unlike standard thumbrests you'd have to know precisely where your thumb goes when you're playing.
How much are they? Not as cheap as they look I'll bet.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='1160128' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:55 AM']Get some fimo in the colour of your choice, bake the basic shape and sand to a smooth and flat finish. Sand the sticking face true and flat then apply double sided tape. Bish bosh.[/quote]
Haha I like it. :)
I bet if you turned up with one on your bass a lot of the cynicism would quickly evaporate. :)

It's just a thumb rest for god's sake (albeit more ergonomic than the blocky ones we are used to)... and a bad advert.
Who puts 3 individual thumb rests on a bass? No one, they are just showing examples.
They don't have LEDs. Those are just crappy graphics.
As for the positioning. You could put them anywhere you want, no one's making you do it like the pic - although individually those positions look kind of reasonable to me.

True, they'd look out of place on your vintage Fender or what have you but there's a myriad of functional basses that it wouldn't. Besides no one would see it while you were playing.

Having said that I wouldn't have one :lol:... I don't get on with thumb rests.
My preference is to dig in over the pup and I find thumb rests can sometimes get in the way of an up stroke.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1160761' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:37 PM']If you need thumbrests, you either;

need to alter your technique to compensate
haven't got enough pick-ups in your bass
Don't have enough frets (and a long enough neck to penetrate well into the body)[/quote]

or you need another string so you can have a 34" thumbrest.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='1160761' date='Mar 13 2011, 05:37 PM']If you need thumbrests, you either;

need to alter your technique to compensate
haven't got enough pick-ups in your bass
Don't have enough frets (and a long enough neck to penetrate well into the body)

:)[/quote]

or maybe you just need a thumbrest because you like a thumbrest :)

I've just this second finished making one for my Sandberg. Got a strip of jet black silicone rubber (6mm thick) from work and stuck it on with double sided tape. Blends in beautifully with the black pickguard, no screws, and I can always take it off leaving no marks!

Just remains to be seen how long it will stay there once it gets a bit of 'gig moisture' around it!

Edit: By the way, I don't have enough pickups!

Edited by TRBboy