Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBs

cocco

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='1180996' date='Mar 29 2011, 04:39 PM']I preferred the BB4xx over the 6xx series, despite the pickup selector and the lack of preamp. Problem is, I just found a K5 that was too good of a deal to pass up.[/quote]

Likewise, but then I'm a passive freak (apart from MMs, which I can't presently afford). I had thought that if I were to go the active route in my BB I'd stick in John East's BTB 01, which is the kind of straightforward thing I might be able to cope with. Something that simply swaps for the single tone knob in a bass appeals for experimental purposes. Mind you, if you've ever been in the back of a BB414 you'll see the problem. There's no space! When I put CTS pots in my 414 it was a significant challenge to prevent the new larger pots from grounding out on the shielded cavity. Putting anything else in there is Dremel time for sure. As for the pickup selector, I like it. I leave it in the middle, and it sounds about right. If I want to vary the pickup balance I get out a screwdriver and fiddle with the pickup height, although generally not in the middle of the set I will grant you. I have a P-Bass Special around at the moment, and the Jazz-type control setup seems scarcely more flexible in that the volume pots seem to more or less act as on/off switches for practical purposes. I guess there's a world of tweaking involved in getting this sort of thing working well, but then I only ever liked the neck and the look of Jazzes anyway.

[quote name='watchman' post='1181932' date='Mar 30 2011, 10:26 AM']Likewise, but then I'm a passive freak (apart from MMs, which I can't presently afford). I had thought that if I were to go the active route in my BB I'd stick in John East's BTB 01, which is the kind of straightforward thing I might be able to cope with. Something that simply swaps for the single tone knob in a bass appeals for experimental purposes. Mind you, if you've ever been in the back of a BB414 you'll see the problem. There's no space! When I put CTS pots in my 414 it was a significant challenge to prevent the new larger pots from grounding out on the shielded cavity. Putting anything else in there is Dremel time for sure. As for the pickup selector, I like it. I leave it in the middle, and it sounds about right. If I want to vary the pickup balance I get out a screwdriver and fiddle with the pickup height, although generally not in the middle of the set I will grant you. I have a P-Bass Special around at the moment, and the Jazz-type control setup seems scarcely more flexible in that the volume pots seem to more or less act as on/off switches for practical purposes. I guess there's a world of tweaking involved in getting this sort of thing working well, but then I only ever liked the neck and the look of Jazzes anyway.[/quote]

I managed to fit an Aguilar OBP2-SK in my BB414 with no modification, it was a tight fit though!

[quote name='Muzz' post='1156937' date='Mar 10 2011, 06:26 PM']they only do them with rosewood boards,[/quote]

I had this done to my BB1100S:

[attachment=76253:yamaha_2.JPG]

[attachment=76252:yamaha_1.JPG]

Possibly featuring in the for sale section shortly.

• 1 year later...

I actually still have a BBG4SII that I bought as a backup, lake placid blue. Very solid, tight, looks very good, but certainly not hi-fi and a bit big for my small hands... So I don't use it much. I tend to slap a lot and the sound doesn't have too much personality. But it should make a great rock bass. For the price, quite stunning...

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1299798786' post='1157405']
I've owned a BBG4AII since 2000 and it's an amazing bass. I had to order it at the time as it was a non stock model, and you don't see many of this particular model in the UK - most of the ones I have seen for sale are in mainland Europe and the USA.

[attachment=74501:Yamaha_B..._Reduced.jpg]

The engineer recording it at a local studio was enthusing about it recently, as it had - in his opinion, such a great tone compared to a lot of the stuff he records. It won't (obviously) compete with a custom bass costing thousands, but for the money - I think they are incredible value - and the basic models are excellent instruments for learners. Why anyone buys a Squier when you can pick up a Yamaha RBX new for £140 I can't fathom, beyond of course the issue of image/brand.

I actually managed to buy a 'spare' BBG4AII, in the exactly the colour I wanted - Amberburst, on eBay for £116 recently, and it was immaculate. I couldn't believe I won it for the price, but it was the best bargain I've ever had on eBay. BC member '4 string thing' was selling a blue/green one on here recently and whoever got that will have had themselves a bargain too.

A
[/quote]

The amberburst is probably my favourite bass ever. Simply gorgeous.
Yamaha don't do bad basses. Simples.
Re Lomenzo. I've seen him live a few times in different bands and he never used a BB on any of those occasions.

Yay, more BB love! As I might have already mentioned elsewhere I have a BB614 and despite being my cheapest and probably most battered bass (not by me I should add) I love it because not only does it sound good it is also ridiculously easy to play in terms of ergonomics.

I own a BB415 which I fitted with a EMG BTC 2 band eq and that thing is "Evil", it is capable of decapitating small animals or even newly born babies.

My only problem is the body, too big for my taste. Still a ton of bass for the money.

If anyone has a BBN or BBG 5 and wants to swap I'll be more than happy, that's the bass I've been lusting for ages.

Edited by Mcgiver69

I bought a left handed BB1100s for £189 in 1996 (I traded a l/h Ibanez ricky 4001 copy for it for £90! wish I still had that!) The Yamaha is an awesome bass for the money (and possibly more) as stated earlier no need to update preamp as it makes any sound you want from ball rattling bass through snarling mids to biting treble. I played loads of gigs with no backup and never had a problem. I could not sell this bass for anything as it is great to play (it "came alive" in my hands when I tried it in the shop and made the Ibanez, which I always considered a good bass since buying it new in 1976,sound pale by comparison. It is the only BB i have ever played but I would recommend it to anyone. :)

I love my BB414...so much so that I've had my metallic orange one for some time....and then saw a black one last year and decided I wanted/needed it!!
The wife of course throwing a wobbly that I have 2 basses the same just in different colours.
But as most of you have said....workhorses they are indeed, fantastic tone on them, just great all round basses with fantastic value for money.

Alas I think my orange one will have to depart....need to shed a few basses to be honest, and a toss up between orange and black.....I think I'll keep the black!

[quote name='Heathy' timestamp='1301518781' post='1182771']
I had this done to my BB1100S:

[attachment=76253:yamaha_2.JPG]

[attachment=76252:yamaha_1.JPG]

Possibly featuring in the for sale section shortly.
[/quote]

This bass is currently sitting on my lap. I can't speak for stock BB1100s basses, as Heathy had already stuck in replacement pickups, bridge, nut and fretboard, but this thing is awesome! Heathy, you are a man of utmost excellence!

Another Yamaha fan here.

Have had a BB1100S which is still the best 4 string bass I ever owned, & wish I still had it. Also had a BBN5 converted with an EMG BTC circuit by Chris at the Bass Centre when they were still in Wapping, which was my first 5 string (sold to Owen on here a few years ago). I still own a TRB5 which is a great instrument.

The BB series are great - sturdy and have a great feel & tone about them - great basses for the money.

Another vote for the BB1100s which i used as a main bass for about 20 yrs or more. Never let me down, great tonal range and built like a tank. I was lusting after a beauty Yamaha that was sold on the Bay about two days ago. Neck-thru, block inlays - it looked absolutely stunning and went for £390. There was a Mexican P-Bass that went for nearly the same money and i couldn't help think how much better the Yammy was compared to the Mex P Bass.

Theres the crux. For the money, you would be hard pressed to beat a Yamaha.

[quote name='allighatt0r' timestamp='1333535092' post='1602951']
This bass is currently sitting on my lap. I can't speak for stock BB1100s basses, as Heathy had already stuck in replacement pickups, bridge, nut and fretboard, but this thing is awesome! Heathy, you are a man of utmost excellence!
[/quote]
Thats looks lovely!

BB300, 1980s (I think) very beat up, but is superb bit of kit, solid and with a bit of fettling is on a par with my G&L and the USA precision I owned from new in 77. The plus is it was only £100 - result. Is almost cheaper to wear these basses out than have refrets on high end instruments.

A bit late to this thread but I've got a BB1100S and it is a brilliant bass. Bought new from Yamaha in '87 for about £400 and added a Hipshot D-tuner. When times were a bit tough in the early '90s I sold it my mate for £150 (he's a guitarist but wanted a bass for home recording) but I still had visiting rights. I always wanted to replace it with another and for my 50th last year I got the very same bass back as a present. It still plays great and I love noodling around on it. Great basses.

That's nice!
A BB2000 is top of my shopping list. I also fancy a BB24X but have only seen one in an old catalogue.

What X-tender do people install on the older BBs? Do Hipshot do one that matches?