Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBs

cocco

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1350133960' post='1834962']
Hi Geoff, any chance of seeing a photo of the BB415 body close up - back and front? I'd like to see how that East preamp install looks.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Give me a few days, Sean, & I'll see what can be done - I've just moved back to Scotland & the place is in a guddle.

I *can* tell you that Howard had to enlarge the cavity a little to accomodate the U-Retro & also cut a new plastic cover for it.

The knobs fitted in the holes already there, although we had to use washers on the slightly oversized hole which originally held the toggle switch. Two small holes were drilled for the mini-switches.

G.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1350136264' post='1835009']
Nice trio Geoff. Out of curiosity, did the humbuckers drop straight into the Bbn?
[/quote]
The Yammy pickups are a unique shape - luckily they are all the same size, so the pups from the RBX375 fitted the BBG5N exactly, replacing the single coils. I arranged a straight swap with another on this board.

Although the originals look the same as the pups in the TRB, those in the 1005 have two coils, but one is a dummy and there's an adjustment coil with which you can balance the hum-bucking element, so you can get single coil sound with the benefit of hum cancelling.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1350123956' post='1834789']

[/quote]

Lovely looking team you got there! I will get a pic up of my trio (soon to be quad) soon.
I've always been a bit meh about the look of wine burst but I got to say lately it has really been growing on me, especially the BBGN5, a real classy piece and looks even better with the RBX pick ups.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1350138774' post='1835049']

The Yammy pickups are a unique shape - luckily they are all the same size, so the pups from the RBX375 fitted the BBG5N exactly, replacing the single coils. I arranged a straight swap with another on this board.

Although the originals look the same as the pups in the TRB, those in the 1005 have two coils, but one is a dummy and there's an adjustment coil with which you can balance the hum-bucking element, so you can get single coil sound with the benefit of hum cancelling.

G.
[/quote]

I've always liked the tones from the RBXs but I don't think they look too pretty. I think what you have done with the BBN could make for a very versatile tool.

I love my BB1100s, its my only bass and have had it for over 20 years. They have to be the best value for money basses around and you can get a massive range of tones from them along with a lovely neck. The only downside with it is that it's not the second had Wal I went to buy that day, but it had sold that morning with my BB1100 being px'd for it. I still tell myself I saved £75 as a result as long as I don't consider the £2k price difference now!

Edited by sbrag

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350418541' post='1838670']
Here is a question im sure will spark an argument, in your opinions what is the best BB ever made?
[/quote]
The modern Super BBs take some beating by anything else on the market and I prefer my BB2024x over a BB3000 although I'd still like one.
My BB1300 is definitely the rarest BB and also the least BB-like BB.
I've got a 6th BB incoming at the moment too which is going straight to Ou7shined for some surgery and then a complete recon and electronics and hardware pimp by me.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1350418069' post='1838661']
good choice! had one before (see my avatar), sold stupidly, regret ever since! Now I have a BB415 that I bought for 80 quid from a former Jethro Tull bassist, keeps me happy, sounds just as good (if very very different) as 605.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm looking forward to getting it! I've not played one before, but I've had enough Yamahas to know what to expect. I was keeping an eye out for a decent backup 5er, and I don't think you could find anything better for the price I paid! Not sure whether I'm gonna want to change the pickups out for dimarzios because single coils don't seem to do it for me anymore, but I'll wait yo pass judgement til I've played it!

the pickups did hum a bit on mine when soloed, but nothing worse that average jazz-style single coils. Actually, probably much quieter than average. Dead quiet with both on. To make it clear on the electronics (there's a lot of misleading info on the net): there's a typical 2-band EQ plus a sweepable contour knob (mid cut, bass & treble boost) with an on-off switch. The knob controls the frequencies on the cut and boost (the frequencies change for the whole range, not just for the mid cut but also for the lo and hi boost), the amount of boost/cut is fixed. I'm sure you'll find your favourite positions of this knob, quite possible to get convincing stingrayish tones! And many more. Basically, two very different sounds at a flick of the switch.

Oh nice man sounds like a cool project, make sure you do a build diary I would love to see how it turns out =)

Also as this thread is for BB fans I thought I would mention I am selling my BB414 as I have bought a 415 and I cant see me using the 414 as much in that case, if anyone is interested the link is in my sig or pm me =)

Also is anyone using halfwounds on their 5 string BBs? If so what would you suggest? I have been using hotwires on my TRB but I find the B string to be a bit dull compared to the rest.

Well, my BB605 arrived yesterday, and what can I say........ Awesome!

I was looking for a cheap but decent backup for my Sandberg, and I really couldn't find anything better for the money. It's been well used and there's a bit of a nasty deep scratch just above the upper horn, but its in great working order and the neck and fretboard is in great condition. I need to give it a good setup but its ace!

I took it along to band practice last night, and I was amazed by how good it sounds, I'm certainly not worried about upgrading the pups at the moment. It sounds monster, especially when you get the frequency sweep pot just in the sweet spot between "clang" and "boom". It's actually a perfect sort of backup for my sandberg, I can get a fairly similar sort of tone and the neck feel isn't a million miles away. The other plus is that it's very light on the strap for a 5er.

All in all, I'm a very happy boy! May try to post some pics when I can. Anyway, I'm off for a tinker!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1350590215' post='1841065']

I was looking for a cheap but decent backup for my Sandberg, and I really couldn't find anything better for the money. It's been well used and there's a bit of a nasty deep scratch just above the upper horn, but its in great working order and the neck and fretboard is in great condition. I need to give it a good setup but its ace!

I took it along to band practice last night, and I was amazed by how good it sounds, I'm certainly not worried about upgrading the pups at the moment. It sounds monster, especially when you get the frequency sweep pot just in the sweet spot between "clang" and "boom". It's actually a perfect sort of backup for my sandberg, I can get a fairly similar sort of tone and the neck feel isn't a million miles away. The other plus is that it's very light on the strap for a 5er.

All in all, I'm a very happy boy! May try to post some pics when I can. Anyway, I'm off for a tinker!
[/quote]

Looking forward to the pic's man.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1350590215' post='1841065']

[/quote]

Cant wait to see it, is it just me or there seems to be a huge amount of love for BBs at this moment in time, its nice and its fitting for such a good line of basses.

Has there ever been a "bad" BB? One that puts a bit of a smudge on an otherwise clean sheet?

Also I will be expecting my 415 tomorrow and im really excited!

Dropped in to PMT in Romford last weekend intending to buy some sort of Fender/Squier Jazz bass. Tried about 10 between £200 and £800 quid. Bob suggested i try this. I bought it. Head and shoulder better than anything else i tried and its ousted my Spector Euro as my gigging bass. Cant believe how good it is for such a (relatively) cheap price.

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/96ad2091fa7a43b19284e4f1238deb91.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/1e5c0d9ebbca5abb620f89ded1fc8836.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/1c18b89133273dd34836ef0770de89f4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/mudpup1/Guitars/9cb7b282d631de22f7a2ae25e3ecdc0e.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350595378' post='1841160']

Cant wait to see it, is it just me or there seems to be a huge amount of love for BBs at this moment in time, its nice and its fitting for such a good line of basses.

Has there ever been a "bad" BB? One that puts a bit of a smudge on an otherwise clean sheet?

Also I will be expecting my 415 tomorrow and im really excited!
[/quote]

Has there ever really been a bad Yamaha bass full stop?!