Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBs

cocco

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1351759368' post='1854928']

Ruck bought some pickups direct from Yamaha, he emailed them through the website.
Got to be worth a try, although I cant imagine why you would want to cover that lovely orange paint with a piece of plastic :ph34r:
[/quote]

Spoke to yamaha UK, really helpful scots ady on service/spares. BB424x chrome control panel ex-stock, pickguard on 4 week delivery....parts inc vat n pnp, 39 quid......, not bad I paid 40 for a pattern pickguard for my fender!

Bugger forgot to ask about screws!

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1351894796' post='1856800']
Spoke to yamaha UK, really helpful scots ady on service/spares. BB424x chrome control panel ex-stock, pickguard on 4 week delivery....parts inc vat n pnp, 39 quid......, not bad I paid 40 for a pattern pickguard for my fender!

[/quote]

Don't forget to post some pictures when its done, I'd love to see how it looks.

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1351894796' post='1856800']

[/quote]

Glad the Scots lady is still there! When I worked in a music shop quite a few years ago she was always in spares!

Are you gonna have to wire in some longer shaft pots (and toggle switch) to make it through the plate as well then?

It's gonna look great!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Ultima2876' timestamp='1354071270' post='1881779']
Oh wow, I want to do the same with my BB415 now - it's a black one, but I'd love to throw a pickguard on there. I play with a pick too, so it makes absolute sense... do I just email them? :)
[/quote]

Just give them a ring
0844 8111116

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1354101488' post='1881988']
So last week I had my eye on a Bb1024 on ebay, hovered over the buy it now a couple of times but talked myself out of it.
It didn't sell and last night got re-listed 70 quid cheaper.

Did I buy it I hear you ask?

Fcuk Yeah!
[/quote]
Good man!
I'm completely smitten with my recent BB414 purchase and makes me wish I'd bought a 1024 when I tried one last year when I had more spare cash. oh well....

Edited by RandomBass

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1354102924' post='1882010']
Good man!
I'm completely smitten with my recent BB414 purchase and makes me wish I'd bought a 1024 when I tried one last year when I had more spare cash. oh well....
[/quote]

I've had a 614 that's been my main squeeze for quite a few years now and I thought there is no point having another one, but I love the passive Bb's.
The Mrs has paid for this one for a Xmas pressie so It'l be hidden away somewhere until Santa's been.

I think I'l be up before the kids this year.

Time to weigh in with my BB400S. An ugly-looking beast, but plays like a dream and sounds sweet. Barely a ding despite being 28 years old! Oh and cheap too...

File uploader is screwed, so here goes with a link:

[url="https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgflzdk7kbxvovv/BB400S.jpg"][/url]

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1354101488' post='1881988']
So last week I had my eye on a Bb1024 on ebay, hovered over the buy it now a couple of times but talked myself out of it.
It didn't sell and last night got re-listed 70 quid cheaper.

Did I buy it I hear you ask?

Fcuk Yeah!
[/quote]

Sweet !! :i-m_so_happy:

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1354101199' post='1881986']
Just give them a ring
0844 8111116
[/quote]

Thanks!

Also, someone needs to buy this, for the love of god: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/yamaha-bb1600-vintage-bass-guitar-1985/113263596

'85 BB1600? I'd take it if it wasn't in London (and if I didn't just spend £450 on a cab/amp)...

[quote name='Ultima2876' timestamp='1354369485' post='1885271']

Thanks!

Also, someone needs to buy this, for the love of god: http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/yamaha-bb1600-vintage-bass-guitar-1985/113263596

'85 BB1600? I'd take it if it wasn't in London (and if I didn't just spend £450 on a cab/amp)...
[/quote]

Is it modified? That looks like a knob where the switch should be.

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1354408338' post='1885745']
Yes, BB-X24 (introduced at the same time as the 3000), as did the 1300.
[/quote]

Thanks. Did a search on these but can't find anything outside of Japan.
I take it they are real high end models? Only thing keeping me from them is the lack of frets. For what I use 4-strings for I'd need them.

[quote name='Kongo' timestamp='1354412792' post='1885769']I take it they are real high end models?[/quote]
No. After Yamaha introduced the standard neck-through 3000 ('82), as the top of the BB 4-string range, it went on to introduce a narrow neck version of the 3000 ('83), alongside the bolt-on X (aka 1600, outside Asia) ('83) and humbucking 1300 ('85). The X and 1300 were both less expensive than the 3000 (around two-thirds). The bolt-on X24 ('84) was introduced as an alternative to the standard X, given the popularity/success of the revised BB range.

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1354722497' post='1889594']
[attachment=124206:100_1757.JPG]

Pickups that bite your head off and a lovely dark rosewood fret board.
The neck has a deeper profile than my Bb614 but not as chunky as my Bb300, could become my new no1.
[/quote]

Beautiful bass ! The chunky neck adds to the chunky sound . Those massive sounding pickups don't hurt , either .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1354722948' post='1889601']
Those massive sounding pickups don't hurt , either .
[/quote]

I don't think the previous owner was too keen, he had them screwed right into the body miles away from the strings.
I set it up my way and almost fell off my chair when I hit the low notes, nice to be heard.

I've always been interested in the BB's, how do people cope with the difference in size difference of the P pickup compared with the J.
By that I mean the distance your anchored thumb is from the strings. The J is closer than the P?!

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1354723361' post='1889607']
I don't think the previous owner was too keen, he had them screwed right into the body miles away from the strings.
I set it up my way and almost fell off my chair when I hit the low notes, nice to be heard.
[/quote]

What surprised me about these recent Super BBs is how un-Fender-like they sound . They really do have a unique tone , not dissimilar to the classic neck -thru BBs of the 70s and early 80s . They have got a great balance of power and subtlety- you could play any style of music on them and it would sound perfect .

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1354723952' post='1889618']
I've always been interested in the BB's, how do people cope with the difference in size difference of the P pickup compared with the J.
By that I mean the distance your anchored thumb is from the strings. The J is closer than the P?!

Cheers
Si
[/quote]

I can't say I had noticed. But that's probably because I hardly ever play over the bridge pickup.