Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBs

cocco

I gig with a 2024X, and apart from one minor problem with the selector switch which keeps cutting out (its a cheap looking switch that should really have no place on a bass of this price) I have been absolutely, utterly delighted. As you can see from my sig, I have a few basses to choose from, and this is my number one go to. I had Sims leds fitted and its now pretty near my perfect instrument, very comfy to play, great sounding and looks really cool. I'll probably get a black one some time to go with it (its white) as a spare, and sell the rest!!!

Bob

I've had both BB614 (Raspberry active 4 string) and BB414 (Orange passive 4 string)....both super sweet but the BB414 is a keeper, I can't praise this bass enough...simply a fantastic bass for the money, awesome build, super hot pups and very very comfy to play, old school looks are to my taste too.

The actives EQ (6 series) are very black and white, wind the EQ up and bash my balls with a sledgehammer fat as can be sound, but on flat setting, strangely thin and quiet, but hey who buys an active and winds the EQ down!

...I've had rounds', tapes 'n flats across my BB414 and it seems to handle anything...great slap tone too on rounds if that's ya monkey.

My mate who gigs Stax 'n Motown with an old 79 Fender P bass EMG and an early 80's Stingray is looking for a black BB415 (passive 5 sting) so that says more than a closet player like me ever could.

....but what's not to like about Orange metalflake :)

[quote name='Muzz' post='1158062' date='Mar 11 2011, 01:55 PM']Yeah, it's a custom. And not one you can buy, either.

On the other hand, Glenn doesn't use it much (see my earlier post) so he might take an offer for it... :)[/quote]
He certainly doesn't' use it much in that clip! Bizarre - sit down with the instrument plugged in and talk about the sound instead of just playing it!?!

I've had tons of basses over the years but the Super BBs are the nearest to perfect for me as I can get. My 2024x gets most use and is regularly used to hammer out all sorts of rock material as well as funk and reggae. The 2025x is there for when I need lower register or a more meaty sound (the 5 has more oomph and heft to its sound than the 4). The build quality of these basses is outstanding and comparable to any £2000+ plus hand built instrument and although they are not cheap I think are priced about right given the current weak exchange rate against the Yen. You pay your money you take your pick.

My 415 in orange flake is a gem and is kept strung with TI Flats and has a replacement Gotoh-alike bridge and Hipshot string retainers to improve the B string. I got it for £249 new (inc delivery) and have spent £20 on hardware making it a 5-string that is good enough for a discerning bassist to use as an outstanding credible working tool.

If you like the P/J thing, appreciate great build quality and are not hung about fancy names on the headstock then the Yam BBs are worth checking out - I have never found a Fender to match, though a couple of Jap Fenders have come "close but no cigar" :)

[quote]Yamaha BBs, Are they as good as yamaha make them out to be?[/quote]

In a word - yes.

And yes, this little beauty of mine ('84 BB2000) plays as well as it looks! Stunning basses

[attachment=74622:BB2000_1.jpg][attachment=74623:BB2000_8.jpg][attachment=74624:BB2000_3.jpg]
[attachment=74625:BB2000_2.jpg]

Edited by ikay

[quote name='noelk27' post='1159091' date='Mar 12 2011, 11:08 AM']My only wish is that Yamaha would return to neck-thru construction. For me, the BB2000 and BB5000 have never been bettered.[/quote]

I think they made a mistake in not using a reversed pickup in the bridge position on the BB2024. It makes a huge difference for players that slap.

[quote name='bobpalt' post='1158960' date='Mar 12 2011, 08:27 AM']I gig with a 2024X, and apart from one minor problem with the selector switch which keeps cutting out (its a cheap[/quote]

If it's the same switch that's used on the BB3000 it's prone to "stuff" entering the switch from the front. It doesn't help that some of Yamaha's high end cases shed fibres from their lining like a molting cat.

Played the 425 and 1025 at London Bass Show today. There was a difference between the 2 (the 1024 feeling a bit better, could have just been setup) but I didn't feel the price difference was sufficient for the disparity of the sounds. Then again, the show was far from the ideal place to compare subtleties of tones.

[quote name='The Admiral' post='1157405' date='Mar 10 2011, 11:13 PM']I've owned a BBG4AII since 2000 and it's an amazing bass. I had to order it at the time as it was a non stock model, and you don't see many of this particular model in the UK - most of the ones I have seen for sale are in mainland Europe and the USA.

[attachment=74501:Yamaha_B..._Reduced.jpg]

The engineer recording it at a local studio was enthusing about it recently, as it had - in his opinion, such a great tone compared to a lot of the stuff he records. It won't (obviously) compete with a custom bass costing thousands, but for the money - I think they are incredible value - and the basic models are excellent instruments for learners. Why anyone buys a Squier when you can pick up a Yamaha RBX new for £140 I can't fathom, beyond of course the issue of image/brand.

I actually managed to buy a 'spare' BBG4AII, in the exactly the colour I wanted - Amberburst, on eBay for £116 recently, and it was immaculate. I couldn't believe I won it for the price, but it was the best bargain I've ever had on eBay. BC member '4 string thing' was selling a blue/green one on here recently and whoever got that will have had themselves a bargain too.

A[/quote]

I did indeed sell my BBG4-A 11 on ebay last weekend. I got £165 for it, the guy was well chuffed.... I was gutted!

[quote name='BB2000' post='1159453' date='Mar 12 2011, 04:07 PM']I think they made a mistake in not using a reversed pickup in the bridge position on the BB2024. It makes a huge difference for players that slap.[/quote]

Maybe but it was designed as "no compromise" bass for [i]rock[/i] players. Subjective, I know :)

And, if that P was reversed it wouldn't do an authentic P sound thereby alienating many.

At this end of the market (£2k+) some options (like MusicMan do) would be good, like maple board, reversed P, P in the bridge position, mudbucker in the Billy Sheehan position etc.

Edited by Sean

[quote name='Sean' post='1160481' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:10 PM']And, if that P was reversed it wouldn't do an authentic P sound thereby alienating many.[/quote]

My BB800 has a reversed pickup and it does a very authentic P sound. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a fender in a blind test.

I'm also very happy with my TRB5P - the build quality is superb and it has a lovely through-neck. You've got to hand it to Yamaha, I've had many of their instruments over the years, not just basses, and I don't think I've ever seen a duff anything with Yamaha written on it.

[quote name='pete.young' post='1160501' date='Mar 13 2011, 02:36 PM']My BB800 has a reversed pickup and it does a very authentic P sound. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between it and a fender in a blind test.[/quote]

Seemed to work for Phil Lynott.

The 1100 on here has dropped again! I'm really tempted but I'm putting myself off because I've never felt comfortable on a Fender P. Even though I don't think it was the sound I didn't like, more the lack of anywhere to put your thumb when playing close to the bridge.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a 414 and I loved it from the moment I saw it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to keep it as a second bass and there's no way I'm selling my Aerodyne, so the BB is up for sale! If you're not interested in buying, I've just updated with more pics for you to spank your plank over. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124074"]BUY ME![/url]

[quote name='burray' post='1171796' date='Mar 22 2011, 10:45 AM']I've got a 414 and I loved it from the moment I saw it. Unfortunately, I can't afford to keep it as a second bass and there's no way I'm selling my Aerodyne, so the BB is up for sale! If you're not interested in buying, I've just updated with more pics for you to spank your plank over. :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=124074"]BUY ME![/url]

[/quote]

I'd have loved mine in this colour, but they didn't have a four-stringer in it when I bought mine (nasty white) in a hurry. Good luck with the sale though!

[quote name='watchman' post='1179046' date='Mar 28 2011, 02:08 AM']I'd have loved mine in this colour, but they didn't have a four-stringer in it when I bought mine (nasty white) in a hurry. Good luck with the sale though![/quote]

Yeah, I saw this when I worked in a music shop and had to have it in this finish.

Cheers! :)

Good bass the BB414. Good cheap alternative to Fenders, if you are after a passive workhorse. I've tried the 415 which was lovely too. I'd get that over a cheap active.

I preferred the BB4xx over the 6xx series, despite the pickup selector and the lack of preamp. Problem is, I just found a K5 that was too good of a deal to pass up.