Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBs

cocco

Just picked up a beautifully refinished and reasonably priced Yamaha BBN5 from jonsebass to try and get into 5ers. Looking forward to getting some quality time with the bass over the weekend :)

[attachment=111857:BBN5 07.JPG]

• 2 months later...

Realise everyones probably done talking about this. But. The BB are just excellent basses.
I have two 80s BB1100s one fretted one fretless. And they are both outstanding, so versatile in sound.

Also have a BB415 for sale if anyones after a BB. Excellent bass, wish i didnt have to sell it, but i dont have the need for the low and someone else should put it to good use.

Excellent thread resurrection! I've gone a bit BBonkers lately. I had a BB614 but decided to sell it on because I didn't like my universal backup/rough/outdoor/festival bass being active only, and the chrome surrounds were a bit too "blingy" for my tastes. So I replaced it with a BB300. What can I say? It's simple but highly effective and the neck suits me well - it's chunky enough. Since then I've picked up a somewhat battered BB350F (reverse P/J) to have a wee go at fretless and am in the process of reconstructing a BB450 (regular P/J).

Here's a wee pic of the BB300 next to the BB614 when they were briefly together:

And here's the BB350F

I'll post up the BB450 when it's done. Currently at Rich's getting a new nut made :)

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1333742201' post='1606069']
BB300, 1980s (I think) very beat up, but is superb bit of kit, solid and with a bit of fettling is on a par with my G&L and the USA precision I owned from new in 77. The plus is it was only £100 - result. Is almost cheaper to wear these basses out than have refrets on high end instruments.
[/quote]

yep

i bought one for £80 last year

great bass

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1349038362' post='1821051']
Never bored with BBs, I'm still looking for a BB2000. Missed one on eBay a few months back but I've got the BB1300 to console me as far as vintage awesomeness goes :-)
[/quote]

I would love one of these, too:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXe3WvJY2Q0[/media]

What a fantastic sounding bass. Nothing sounds quite like these full-spec vintage Yamahas. I can't think of any bass from the present day that could substitute for that sound. ( Except for maybe another Yamaha)

This BB from 1977 still delivers the goods too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWOvHj9emwM

The young chap playing is from the U.K, so maybe he's on Basschat. He's a very good player, anyhow, and that bass sounds superb.

Edited by Dingus

I´ve had some BBs (all 80´s models); 300, 1000S, 1200S, and they are definitelly great basses considering the money they cost.

As a lot of people put it "P.Bass Killer"! Much more balanced and focused sound (and I mean even the cheapest 300!)

If you come across one of these 80´s BB (including the 1600, 2000 or 3000), for a good price, don´t even think twice! One of the models (can´t remember which) had a inverted P-bass pickup.

Btw, most of these models were MIJ (though some were later made in Taiwan). It goes without saying but the Japanese craftsmanship is top notch!

I have the pleasure of owning a BB414, for me personally the best looking bass I have an still the one I keep picking up over my other 4 strings. I have been interested in getting a 5 string BB for a while now but never been sure on what they are like, could anyone suggest a specific model I should be looking for? As much as I would love a 2025x I simply can not afford one at the moment so thats out of the question lol :happy:

I've got a BB415 and I'm happy with it. Will do some upgrades to improve the B string (Hipshot string retainers, bridge maybe), but it's not bad as it is. You could also look into the newer BB425, with what I believe to be real upgrades, like laminated neck and that 45 degree string-thru bridge. Or BB1025 if your budget lets you.

There's also few other BB models, like all those from the '90s - BB G5, 405, 605 (which I've had and want one again, won't be so stupid to sell it this time, promise!). All very good basses, especially for the prices they go for.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1349337393' post='1824770']
. I have been interested in getting a 5 string BB for a while now but never been sure on what they are like, could anyone suggest a specific model I should be looking for?
[/quote]

Ive got a BB415 for sale if you're interested? Excellent bass, as you'll know from your 414.

Ben.

Depends on what you want. I will eventually replace the tuners with some ultralites (by Hipshot probably) to reduce the neckdive. It's not an issue really, and especially since getting a wide padded strap it's almost non existant, but I really like this bass and want to make it as close to perfect as possible. Otherwise the tuners are really good quality, if you find the ergonomics comfortable, no reason to swap them.

The bridge will be swapped in order to improve the B string, but only if I find one with the anchor point of the string moved further back to the edge of the body, and preferably also lower (closer to the surface of the body), to increase the angle on the saddle, an the tension of the string. Again, you may find the stock bridge perfectly fine, I've had my BB415 since January and haven't got round to making those changes, which probably means I'm quite happy with it ;) It is a very good bass, probably can get even better and I will make it so when I'm sure that I have good ideas how to do it :)

I actually do like the tuners, I just wish they were a tiny bit lighter, as the headstock is long, and there's five of them on it.

As for the bridge, some aftermarket ones are even longer than that extended bit, which should help. What really bothers me (I haven't mentioned before) is having to pull the entire length of strings through those holes, I much prefer the "quick release" bridges. Basically, it only really bothers me when I'm changing strings (like every 2 months or so), not in everyday use.

One upgrade that will be made for sure is the Hipshot string retainers.

Oh, the pickup selector switch has been swapped for Switchcraft (iirc) a couple of months ago as the stock one was crap.

So im currently in the process of buying bengovier's BB415 to go along with my 414, im planning to string it with some flatwounds when I get it. Im currently using Picato flats on my 414 but has anyone had any experience with flats on a 415? How does the B string sound ect? Also maybe some suggestions on strings would be great too as I dont have much experience with flatwounds.

Cheers.

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1350049715' post='1834033']
So im currently in the process of buying bengovier's BB415 to go along with my 414, im planning to string it with some flatwounds when I get it. Im currently using Picato flats on my 414 but has anyone had any experience with flats on a 415? How does the B string sound ect? Also maybe some suggestions on strings would be great too as I dont have much experience with flatwounds.

Cheers.
[/quote]

My 415 has TI Jazz flats on it and they're pretty good. I tried loads, Status strings suit it and I have them on another BB. My 415 has a replacement bridge that moves the anchor points back and also has string retainers fitted which help with tension, without them I think the TIs would feel a bit slack.

Try the Status ones. La Bellas tend to be quite tight for the uninitiated.

Here's my trio of Yammy's:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/geoffbyrne/P1010062.jpg[/IMG]

Left is my BB415 which I had The Bass Doc (God bless 'im!!!!) fit my John East U-Retro & 18V battery box - an exemplary job, even included 2 coats of conductive paint in the re-shaped control cavity. It's otherwise standard. Great tones, lovely player, fitted with Overwaters, the 'Does Everything' instrument. My only complaint is that the tuners rattle audibly when playing acoustically - you can't hear it when plugged in, but I may swap them for something tighter.

The middle is the fretless TRB1005 which is totally stock and is not being messed with - almost perfect as is - I just wish the fingerboard wasn't lined and the side dots were in the correct places for fretless. Fitted with Chromes.

On the right is the BBG5N which has RBX375 humbuckers on it. Picked this up for pennies - and it is bashed up a bit - but fitted with chromes and given a good setup it's a marvellous player and really my go to instrument. Apart from the pickups it's stock. The humbuckers give it a real 'velvet hammer' kind of attack/tone. And I'm not afraid to take it to the pub jam!

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1350123956' post='1834789']
Here's my trio of Yammy's:

Left is my BB415 which I had The Bass Doc (God bless 'im!!!!) fit my John East U-Retro & 18V battery box - an exemplary job, even included 2 coats of conductive paint in the re-shaped control cavity. It's otherwise standard. Great tones, lovely player, fitted with Overwaters, the 'Does Everything' instrument. My only complaint is that the tuners rattle audibly when playing acoustically - you can't hear it when plugged in, but I may swap them for something tighter.

[/quote]
Hi Geoff, any chance of seeing a photo of the BB415 body close up - back and front? I'd like to see how that East preamp install looks.

Thanks.