Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBs

cocco

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1365684706' post='2042843']
I've just treated myself to a Vintage White 1024, from GAK. Rather pleased so far, sounded delightful at practice last night and our drummer was very complimentary of the tone - he does know his stuff too. At first I thought the X version looked meaner, but there's something about the classic uncluttered simplicity of the non-X version. Fit & finish are top-notch - and the price was tantalisingly good.....
[/quote]

nice ! How does it compare to your BB414 in tone (or any other way you care to mention) ?

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1365693816' post='2043071']
nice ! How does it compare to your BB414 in tone (or any other way you care to mention) ?
[/quote]

Well it's early days and I need to live with it for a while before making any detailed comparison. However, I have to say the build is sublime. The neck does feel very slightly deeper front to back than the 414 - but it's the same width, which is perfect for me. The fret work is delightful, and open strings ring like a piano which I assume is due to the nickel-silver nut being the same as the fret wire. The action is nice and low without any buzzing.

Pickups are just as loud as the 414, but richer in tone and harmonics I feel. But then again that could well be down to the sum of the parts, not just the pups. One thing I have noticed is much less single coil hum from the J, not that it bothers me either way.

Weight and balance are just as good as the 414 - in other words 'very easy' and 'perfect' respectively.

When I've had some more playing time I will try and put my thoughts into better words for you.

I only discovered the BBs late last year, and just I wish it had been sooner.

Cheers

Geoff

I'm currently toying with the idea of a 5-er, and the BB415 and 425 have come into my sights as possibles. Before I start schlepping round the music shops (the few that are left), can anyone comment on the feel/action of these basses down at the low end? The reason I ask is that some years ago I had a BBG, and that seemed quite tiring to play near the nut.

Note - please no offers of stuff for sale, I'm not at the wallet-worrying stage yet! :ph34r:

Edited by JapanAxe

They are great down by the first fret, most comfortable 5er I've ever played. Only 42mm wide at the nut which is very narrow for a 5, plus the bridge is set quite far back making the whole bass feel shorter and less of a reach than some.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1365713848' post='2043495']
They are great down by the first fret, most comfortable 5er I've ever played. Only 42mm wide at the nut
[/quote]

Wow, that is narrow! My BB1200 was 42mm at the nut. Looks like it's sold now, will get some pics up of the BB2000 in next few days :)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1365703246' post='2043294']
Well it's early days and I need to live with it for a while before making any detailed comparison. However, I have to say the build is sublime. The neck does feel very slightly deeper front to back than the 414 - but it's the same width, which is perfect for me. The fret work is delightful, and open strings ring like a piano which I assume is due to the nickel-silver nut being the same as the fret wire. The action is nice and low without any buzzing.

Pickups are just as loud as the 414, but richer in tone and harmonics I feel. But then again that could well be down to the sum of the parts, not just the pups. One thing I have noticed is much less single coil hum from the J, not that it bothers me either way.

Weight and balance are just as good as the 414 - in other words 'very easy' and 'perfect' respectively.

When I've had some more playing time I will try and put my thoughts into better words for you.

I only discovered the BBs late last year, and just I wish it had been sooner.

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

THanks Geoff. I do need to try and play one of these more expensive BB's one day. One of the things I remember about the BB424X I used to have was it's amazing piano-like open string tone, even though it didn't have the metal zero fret, but a traditional nut.

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1365684706' post='2042843']
I've just treated myself to a Vintage White 1024, from GAK. Rather pleased so far, sounded delightful at practice last night and our drummer was very complimentary of the tone - he does know his stuff too. At first I thought the X version looked meaner, but there's something about the classic uncluttered simplicity of the non-X version. Fit & finish are top-notch - and the price was tantalisingly good.....
[/quote]

I've had mine since Christmas & It's just starting to feel lived in ( if that makes sense ). I have to agree with the 'x' thing too, I prefer the classic look, the only thing that I'd change is the colour. It's not that I don't like VW but I'm a sucker for natural. Not an option on the 1024s though.

As promised, my newly acquired BB2000, in original Yamaha case. 1983/84 is best guess on the year. In pretty decent nick for a 30 year old bass.

One I've been after for quite a while. Now I can get on with my life lol :)

[URL=http://s751.photobucket.com/user/Bobbyk_album/media/BB2000/20130414_140119_zps9cc1fe80.jpg.html][IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/Bobbyk_album/BB2000/th_20130414_140119_zps9cc1fe80.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=http://s751.photobucket.com/user/Bobbyk_album/media/BB2000/20130414_140136_zps6b29f672.jpg.html][IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/Bobbyk_album/BB2000/th_20130414_140136_zps6b29f672.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=http://s751.photobucket.com/user/Bobbyk_album/media/BB2000/20130414_140204_zpsa09106b9.jpg.html][IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/Bobbyk_album/BB2000/th_20130414_140204_zpsa09106b9.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

:gas: :gas: :gas:

I have to admit I'd never really considered a BB until quite recently but the shop I help out at 1 or 2 days a week has a pair in at the moment, a 2024 and a 2025 and I've been really impressed with them.

I'm mostly a 4 string player and keep going back to the white 2024 for a quick play whenever I get a spare 5 minutes. I've tried it through a few different rigs and it seems to work well with both more traditional sounding heads and cabs and some of the real high end, ultra transparent, setups.

I reckon it would be a great gigging bass :)

Slight update to my previous post from last week. As much as I am loving my new BB1024, I took it back to GAK today to change it... for a different colour.

I'd tried both the Vintage White and Caramel Brown - the latter I liked much more than I thought I would, it looks so much nicer, classy even, in the flesh than on a laptop screen. The 1024 is offered in four colours - Vintage White, Caramel Brown, Black and Sunburst. I'm not really into Sunburst that much and I'm after a change from Black.

It was a really difficult choice between those two colours last week, but over the past few days I realised that white isn't for me. GAK were brilliant, no problems at all swapping it.

So, now I have a rather suntanned 1024!

Cheers

Geoff

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1366046529' post='2047704']
Slight update to my previous post from last week. As much as I am loving my new BB1024, I took it back to GAK today to change it... for a different colour.

I'd tried both the Vintage White and Caramel Brown - the latter I liked much more than I thought I would, it looks so much nicer, classy even, in the flesh than on a laptop screen. The 1024 is offered in four colours - Vintage White, Caramel Brown, Black and Sunburst. I'm not really into Sunburst that much and I'm after a change from Black.

It was a really difficult choice between those two colours last week, but over the past few days I realised that white isn't for me. GAK were brilliant, no problems at all swapping it.

So, now I have a rather suntanned 1024!

Cheers

Geoff
[/quote]

I'm sure there's some law somewhere saying you have to show us pictures!!!!!

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1366054430' post='2047855']
I'm sure there's some law somewhere saying you have to show us pictures!!!!!
[/quote]

Damn I've been sussed lol. Indeed, I will attempt some once the rugrats, sorry I meant darling little ones, are locked away in the cupboard under the stairs - oops sorry I meant tucked up in bed...
Edit: Looks like time has overtaken me once again, will try again tomorrow.

Edited by RandomBass

I am now the proud owner of Bobby ks' old BB 1200,
OMG what can i say, it is an absolute delight to play and easily has the most even tone all over the fretboard than any bass I have played, I love it,
Its in amazing condition for a 79 too, it is now the bass that I would save in the fire lol.
got my first gig with it on Friday , can't wait.
thanks for letting me have her Bobby

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1365958939' post='2046538']
Certainly mate, kids allowing lol :-)
[/quote]

sorry my daughters 28 years old and a great bass player but even shes not allowed on my new (to me) BB2000...yet. me and the BB2000 are still in our honeymoon period i have a rule no playing on dads new basses for three months!

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1364882550' post='2032071']
Oh for goodness sake ............ PICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

ok when i get back home next week.........dont worry the daughters with me so she doesnt get tempted....

[quote name='basslondon' timestamp='1366205629' post='2049575']
sorry my daughters 28 years old and a great bass player but even shes not allowed on my new (to me) BB2000...yet. me and the BB2000 are still in our honeymoon period i have a rule no playing on dads new basses for three months!
[/quote]

I just meant [i]when they give me a chance to get it out and play it![/i][i] :lol: [/i]I don't get much time because the little fella is only 2 years old.

It's a weird one for me because i've had a BB1200 for a couple of years, so the honeymoon period hasn't really happened. It's like the same bass (even same colour) but with the added J pickup to expand the sound options. But it was the desire for a BB2000 that started the whole BB obsession for me, so now I am well chuffed to finally have one and as I say, can now get on with my life lol :)

- You gotta love that E string, clear as a bell and sustain to die for!! eh, basslondon? ;)

Edited by Bobby K

[quote name='Bobby K' timestamp='1366211308' post='2049670']

- You gotta love that E string, clear as a bell and sustain to die for!! eh, basslondon? ;)
[/quote]

Yup tis a thing of beauty the ringing sustain........... *adopts nigel tuffnell pose*

I used to have 2 BBs: a BBG5S (years ago) and a BB 615 (summer 2011 - spring 2012). Both were great for the money, especially the BB 615. I would keep it if finances allowed - unfortunately I had to partially finance a "new" ('97) car so, as the only bass that wasn't an absolute must-have for me (I mostly used it as a backup for my Alembic), it had to go. If I were on a market for a great value-for-money bass at the moment, I'd definitely consider a Yamaha BB again. They're really good basses.

Here are the pics:

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1299800095' post='1157443']
And hey what's wrong with rosewood? :P
[/quote]

It's boring. But I admit it goes well with alder.

[quote name='BB2000' timestamp='1299946043' post='1159453']
I think they made a mistake in not using a reversed pickup in the bridge position on the BB2024. It makes a huge difference for players that slap.
[/quote]

No, definitely not. I'm glad they made it the right way - I tried several "reverse-P" basses and I disliked every single one of them. D and G strings were off, you could hear it especially well while playing octaves (which I do quite frequently). Classic P layout is perfect for octaves.

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1300025422' post='1160481']
Maybe but it was designed as "no compromise" bass for [i]rock[/i] players. Subjective, I know :)

And, if that P was reversed it wouldn't do an authentic P sound thereby alienating many.

At this end of the market (£2k+) some options (like MusicMan do) would be good, like maple board, reversed P, P in the bridge position, mudbucker in the Billy Sheehan position etc.
[/quote]

+ 1 on all statements.