Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BBs

cocco

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1354723952' post='1889618'][H]ow do people cope with the difference in size difference of the P pickup compared with the J. By that I mean the distance your anchored thumb is from the strings.[/quote]
With the older variants, such as the original 2000, if you ignore the pickup surround, then the P and J pickup bodies are at, approximately, the same distance from the "E" string. With the current 2000, again ignoring the surround, there's a ridge on the P pickup body, which is quite pronounced, and this and the J pickup body, again, are approximately the same distance from the "E" string.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='4StringFortress' timestamp='1354978643' post='1892558']
I know a few of you have fitted pre amps for your 414/415s, how different is that to buying a 614/615? I really like the passive sound but I also like the versatility in having an active bass. Any suggestions?
[/quote]

Bb614 Glockenklang preamp fitted, switchable active passive. Job done.

• 1 month later...

Hey folks

Has anyone added a thumbrest to a BB?

I just picked up a BB414 and really like it, but having come from a 5-string I can't quite find the right place to put my thumb when playing the E-string. The edge of the P pickup seems *slightly* too far away (might get used to it I suppose) and since I prefer to play closer to the neck I'm not going to use the J pickup as a thumbrest!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hey dudes,
just bought a beautiful, metallic black BB3000A made in the 80's, i think in Taiwan (i'll check when it arrives).I could not believe it, but i got it for just over 200 euro...
Can you tell me is the fingerboard striped ebony?

Cheers!

Edited by ryuu

That's a great price !! :)
Yes, BB3000's all have ebony boards. My first and second had striped and my third, purchased here on B.C from BB2000 (Top man !), has a totally black fingerboard.

Edited by Turk

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1359542640' post='1956243']
Hey folks

Has anyone added a thumbrest to a BB?

I just picked up a BB414 and really like it, but having come from a 5-string I can't quite find the right place to put my thumb when playing the E-string. The edge of the P pickup seems *slightly* too far away (might get used to it I suppose) and since I prefer to play closer to the neck I'm not going to use the J pickup as a thumbrest!

Cheers
[/quote]

Unc, sorry for a hugely late response, but I added a rest inbetween the two pickups on a BB424X I had last year. It did exactly what I wanted it to. Got it from [url="http://www.classicguitarboxes.com/thumb_rests.php"]http://www.classicguitarboxes.com/thumb_rests.php[/url] .

I havn't got a picture of the BB with one on, but I have put one on my current G&L SB2 in exactly the same place. It's only very small and subtle, but anyway. Here ......

[url=http://www.ephotobay.com/share/sb-2-blue-b.html][/url]

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1363765250' post='2017085']
Unc, sorry for a hugely late response, but I added a rest inbetween the two pickups on a BB424X I had last year. It did exactly what I wanted it to. Got it from [url="http://www.classicguitarboxes.com/thumb_rests.php"]http://www.classicgu...thumb_rests.php[/url] .

I havn't got a picture of the BB with one on, but I have put one on my current G&L SB2 in exactly the same place. It's only very small and subtle, but anyway. Here ......
[/quote]

Thanks! That looks really good.

My only concern is that the BB has no pickguard to hide the scars of a botched job. Did you have any issues?

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1363772138' post='2017195']
Thanks! That looks really good.

My only concern is that the BB has no pickguard to hide the scars of a botched job. Did you have any issues?
[/quote]

Had no issues with putting the thumbrest on the BB. Just have to get it right first time ! No moving it later.

Just for the record, I am back in the BB fold, having just bought a BB414 fretless. It will be getting a thumbrest at some point.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1363784049' post='2017504']
Had no issues with putting the thumbrest on the BB. Just have to get it right first time ! No moving it later.

Just for the record, I am back in the BB fold, having just bought a BB414 fretless. It will be getting a thumbrest at some point.
[/quote]

Did you buy the sexy orange one from the classifieds here? I was sorely tempted by that but full austerity measures are currently in effect at my house... :(

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1363785002' post='2017540']
Did you buy the sexy orange one from the classifieds here? I was sorely tempted by that but full austerity measures are currently in effect at my house... :(
[/quote]

I did ! It's even orangier in the flesh.

does anybody know of anybody who would be able to custom make/machine one of those metal P pickup frames, but reversed? The spring is coming and as soon as it gets warmer and drier (well, -ish...) I want to get on with my modding and refinishing project on my BB415, including reversing the pickup, changing the bridge (not sure what will it be), putting string retainers on the headstock and most importantly, refinishing it in thin nitro - the lacquer now is f*kin 2mm thick and really hard.

^You know you have to drill the body too,right?And you gonna end up with holes around where the old P used to be...Wood is needed to be put there and finely polished before painting.I mean its a bit of a luthier's job :)
Sorry for my bad english!
Cheers!

yeah I know and I'm OK with that. I'll manage the woodwork and the paintjob. The thing I can't do is fabricate things out of metal. In worst scenario, I'll just put that frame on upside down (someone here has done it) for a while, it will just have rougher sharper edges this way, and the screws won't be flush.
And your English is fine :)

Ok, my beauty is here and its stunning!!!!!!It's made in Taiwan.But it's very, very dirty...its as if she never been cleand since the 80's...even the strings are rusty..Anyway, i have a question for the BB owners here...The serial number is nothing i've seen anywhere on internet.It's 7 digit, no letters.It begins with 00 and i tought it may be OO, but it's not.Any idea?

edit: just saw a post from a guy in 2009 asking the same question about his BB5000A with serial 0030017, but no answers there...

Edited by ryuu

[quote name='ryuu' timestamp='1363881739' post='2018870']
Ok, my beauty is here and its stunning!!!!!!It's made in Taiwan.But it's very, very dirty...its as if she never been cleand since the 80's...even the strings are rusty..Anyway, i have a question for the BB owners here...The serial number is nothing i've seen anywhere on internet.It's 7 digit, no letters.It begins with 00 and i tought it may be OO, but it's not.Any idea?

edit: just saw a post from a guy in 2009 asking the same question about his BB5000A with serial 0030017, but no answers there...
[/quote]

It is "OO" two letters and five digits - http://mycoolguitars.com/useful-info/yamaha-guitar-serial-numbers-dating-your-guitar/

The first "O" means 1968, 1978, 1988 or 1998 (probably '88 for your one), and the second "O" means August.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1363889636' post='2019050']
Japanese built models, yes, but Taiwanese models came with either ebony or rosewood - depending on period of production.
[/quote]

Well ya live 'n' learn !! :)

I saw one for sale a couple of years ago that was listed as having a rosewood board, but I assumed that was an error. It's the only one I've ever seen tho'.
I've had three BB3000's, MIJ's with ebony boards.

[quote name='basslondon' timestamp='1364862657' post='2032025']
Just bought a BB2000 Japan 1985 in original flight case.... Loving it to bits......
[/quote]

I was coveting that 2000 like you wouldn't believe mate! Congrats my friend ;)

It's funny how things work out though. I've been after a yellow natural BB2000 for a few years now (ask Noel, he knows!) then two appeared on ebay last week! after missing out on the cherryburst one that basslondon bought on here, I thought enough is enough and pulled the ebay trigger!! :)

Costing me a fortune as it's coming from America, but you all know what gas is like; when you want it, you've gotta have it!! Basically fed up of waiting for one to come along; I need to get on with my life lol. Anyway, looks to be in great original condition and is in its original Yamaha case. Arriving on Tuesday, I'll let you know how I get on...

P.S. My 1979 BB1200 will be up for sale on here this coming week if anyone is interested (gotta pay for this 2000 somehow!!)

I've just treated myself to a Vintage White 1024, from GAK. Rather pleased so far, sounded delightful at practice last night and our drummer was very complimentary of the tone - he does know his stuff too. At first I thought the X version looked meaner, but there's something about the classic uncluttered simplicity of the non-X version. Fit & finish are top-notch - and the price was tantalisingly good.....