Why become a member? ×

How many of you have more than one Bass...

I have decided that I can not be bothered any more, about joining another band. I believe I have
too many Basses and will probably offload a few ,in the not too distant future. I was just wondering whether, there
is anybody here who is a 'bedroom bassplayer' with more than one Bass who is in a similar position as me?

If so, how many are you gonna keep ?

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

[quote name='dougie' post='1126580' date='Feb 14 2011, 12:13 AM']3 bass-schecter diamond,ibby800 and my P copy....no band due to bein crap.[/quote]
Crapness is but a state of mind. Get thee to a band, sir, it'll do you the world of good :)

Nothing on the go at the moment and 5 basses. I don't care - I do intend to get something together this year, but I just like basses, both as instruments and as works of art, so I won't be getting rid of any that I wouldn't get rid of through natural wastage or curiosity.

I have been playing for the past two years and improving slowly. In that time I must have owned 20 different basses, probably owning 6 at any any one time.

My excuse initially was that I considered it an opportunity to try different styles of basses, keep what I like and move on what I didnt. I am terrible in shops, I can always manage to convince myself to buy most things, so I figure buy secondhand and then move on if they dont suit, and consider any loss "rental money". In some cases I have tried similar styles of basses more than once, EB0's, EB3's and Violin basses have all come and gone on more than one ocassion.

I reaslised that having this many basses was daft so in recent months have made an effort to scale down, I now own a Ray34 Natural, a Geddy Lee and two Nanyo Basses. In a bid to scale down further I had tried to move on some of these basses too, but I consider it a lucky escape that they didnt go as I dont think I could replace them and do any better in that price range.

I almost ruined things in the last couple of weeks by buying a Ryder Bass, but I managed to stay calm and walkaway. :)

Disclaimer: I'm a hoarder by nature so just find it difficult getting rid of anything ! So here goes...

Currently I have ten basses, five guitars, one synth keyboard (four synth modules) and MIDI wind controller (make your own punchlines on that one) plus assorted guitar and bass effects etc.

I haven't been in a band for about twenty years but in my defence I've only increased my number of basses to this level since joining basschat (the GAS just gets me). For most of those years I owned three basses.

I'm actually hoping to get over my hoarding instincts soon and let a few of these items go :)

EDIT: Oh and I have two basses on order. Now I've typed all this I feel I need help. I have no real intention on starting or joining a band again, but am looking to try to start recording stuff again in the not too distant future (I hope).

Edited by purpleblob

I haven't played in a band for 20 years and don't intend to join one or gig again (I'd seriously had enough after 15 years of constant gigging/hoping/failing). 'Still love bass and basses though! I usually have between 6 and 10 basses - nine at the moment. I'm trying to move towards six basses (I play short-scale almost exclusively) but like to have one or two that I swap around. I like to change sometimes and try new basses - it's a lot of fun for me. I've owned and played some gorgeous instruments but there are some amazing new luthiers around (and some classic basses that I haven't tried yet). For me, it's not about being in a band or playing with other people. The fun and enjoyment is in the instruments and in the relaxation that comes with playing (knocking out tired old riffs with cack-handed technique!)

Its a fair question me I'm not bothered about bands at the moment and I've got 3 four strings a 5 string, a 2x10 combo, and 3 small practice amps. Ideally I should cut down to just one (which would be my Cort CQ4 ) but TBH I reckon I'd only get a couple of hundred quid for the rest of the stuff in the current market so its not really worth selling as I dont need the space.

I've only ever really had one bass at a time, but might reach into the sphere of multiple bass ownership this week.

Whilst I play at church on a regular basis, I haven't 'gigged' for a couple of years, but I don't miss it in the slightest. For me, playing bass is something I do because I enjoy it and it helps me to unwind. I'm also starting to come round to the idea that there might be occasions when playing different basses (whether it be at home or church) might just enhance the enjoyment factor..........and then again I might just be trying to justify owning more basses than I can play at any one time!

I am similar a little to the OP. I don't play in a band but currently recording an album. Plus, you never know whats round the corner and may join or form a band. I am currently writing material for two project so I may get a band going at some point. So with that in mind I have the following, a 2008 MIA Fender Precision which is my main workhorse. A 2008 2EQ Stingray that is fretless which is for pure pleasure and any freltless work I am doing. It also has a fretted neck if needed. Plus an ESP Jazz which is my old workhorse and has sentimental value. It also has a fretless neck. So really 3 basses to cover all occasions. I have been slimming down though and have sold or selling some off. I only need 3 basses, fretted, fretless and my old ESP.

[quote name='Rumble' post='1126928' date='Feb 14 2011, 12:31 PM']I've only ever really had one bass at a time, but might reach into the sphere of multiple bass ownership this week.

Whilst I play at church on a regular basis, I haven't 'gigged' for a couple of years, but I don't miss it in the slightest. For me, playing bass is something I do because I enjoy it and it helps me to unwind. I'm also starting to come round to the idea that there might be occasions when playing different basses (whether it be at home or church) might just enhance the enjoyment factor..........and then again I might just be trying to justify owning more basses than I can play at any one time![/quote]
Pretty much sums up my experience as well - I currently only have two basses

Still GAS'ing for a Cort GB34A or GB35A (can't decide on a four- or five-stringer next :)), but will have to wait a while...

Ian

I've got four basses (soon to be five), two guitars, a touchstyle/Stick-type instrument and a cheapo electric upright. Oh, and a bunch of computer music/MIDI gear, and I'm not in a band. The only musicians I have any desire to play with right now are 3500 miles away, back home in the UK. Out here it's all awful cover bands and Christian rock, and I have zero interest in either. :)

I've been attempting to make some music on my own on the computer, but it's tough without someone else to bounce ideas off. Guess I'll just have to wait until we move home, whenever that may be. :)

I've 7. The Yamaha 5 string gets used 99% of the time at Castero gigs.
I've started using the 6 string for most of the cover sets I'm asked to play.

Edit: forgot to say I'm only back gigging since the end of 08. Had 6 basses while I wasn't playing.

Edited by Mog