Why become a member? ×

How many of you have more than one Bass...

Not in a band, and never have been (although that could change if my mate the ex-drummer I was nattering to on Friday gets his act together!). :)

As for basses, I've got the three I acquired back in the mid-to-late 1990s when I was jamming regularly with a mate from work (Musicmaster, '51 P reissue and '60s Jazz reissue), and the two Squiers I've acquired since finishing work in 2008 (a VMJ and a CVJ).

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1126573' date='Feb 13 2011, 11:53 PM']I'm at the other end of the spectrum - playing in two bands but only have one bass. BC is making me feel very inadequate.[/quote]

Dude your brave! if I turned up with a single bass to any gig I think my singer would throttle me! It always worth having a backup even if its a piece of wood with some string. Nothing worse then walking off stage cus youve got nothing else in the case of bass death!

Dan

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='1126670' date='Feb 14 2011, 08:49 AM']I have 7 basses and an 8th on the way this week (i hope) and i dont gig :) Just need to work up the nerve to get into a band.[/quote]

I have two and am dying to play in company. Just lack confidence.

[quote name='Cyrene' post='1127929' date='Feb 15 2011, 08:15 AM']I have two and am dying to play in company. Just lack confidence.[/quote]
There's nothing to fear, just get out there and get stuck in. Playing with others will be the most exhilarating (and most infuriating) thing you can do as a musician :)

[quote name='Doctor J' post='1127954' date='Feb 15 2011, 08:47 AM']There's nothing to fear, just get out there and get stuck in. Playing with others will be the most exhilarating (and most infuriating) thing you can do as a musician :)[/quote]

Ta. I'm feeling out a local open-mic night tomorrow with a friend who's a sh*t hot guitarist; he also lacks confidence!
If it looks do-able, i'll be there the following week to vomit all over the stage.
I've recorded a few clips playing (from an ipod) and sound ok but find that all a bit depressing.
Once i've got through one tune ok, it'll be easier.
Interesting to see how many other on here are in a similar position. We all need to come out!

[quote name='Cyrene' post='1127979' date='Feb 15 2011, 09:05 AM']Ta. I'm feeling out a local open-mic night tomorrow with a friend who's a sh*t hot guitarist; he also lacks confidence!
If it looks do-able, i'll be there the following week to vomit all over the stage.
I've recorded a few clips playing (from an ipod) and sound ok but find that all a bit depressing.
Once i've got through one tune ok, it'll be easier.
Interesting to see how many other on here are in a similar position. We all need to come out![/quote]

<derail>

Mate - See the link in my sig!

</derail>

:)

[quote name='neepheid' post='1126607' date='Feb 14 2011, 01:01 AM']Nothing on the go at the moment and 5 basses. I don't care - I do intend to get something together this year, but I just like basses, both as instruments and as works of art, so I won't be getting rid of any that I wouldn't get rid of through natural wastage or curiosity.[/quote]
Way to go.
I'm back in a band again, and have sold a couple, so down to 11, with one more on here/ Ebay and one incoming shortly..
There's at least er....7 that I couldn't sell on for various reasons (mainly due to them being superb) and I am very glad that I've never hastily sold any due to not being in a band. I'd still play at home, so it's not as though they'd not get used.

Not in a gigging band at the moment, just me, singer and guitar writing new stuff until we find the right person to hit the skins.

I've only ever owned one bass at a time. I've always been lucky that if I fancy something new I've always been offered the lend of something similar. Sometimes it's resulted in me selling and buying. After 30 years I've come to the conclusion that the veberable P bass is the one for me. Whenever I've tried something else, it's what the next purchase has always been. If I knew I'd never gig again, I'd invest in a Fender US RI, a Shuker P or get the wood from Warmoth, have it finished in nitro and source the right hardware. But I will be gigging again at some point so a Squier CV or VM P is on the wish list.

However, that's just me, and I can see why a non-gigger would want a traditional 4 stringer, maybe the "other" traditional 4 stringer, a modern active 4 and/or 5 stringer, a fretless, perhaps an accoustic etc etc.

Guilty here - have 4 basses - a Squire P Bass, an Ibanez SR505, a Squire VM Jaguar, and a Fender Mustang Bass, as well as a Fender electric/acoustic and an Alverez acoustic. I figure I have the P sound, the 5 string, the J or the P or the mix, and the short-scale basses covered :)

However - still have yet to get on stage. I have a stand-in gig lined up for this summer - I saw a band I really liked last summer who did not have a bass player (but I thought they could use one) and I emailed them about maybe playing with them sometime. After awhile without hearing anything (I fugured they either thought I was a loony or that they get so many requrests like this they don't bother responding) I finally did get a reply. They said it would be great to have me sit in with them for a few sets. This probably won't happen until June or July, so I have a lot of time to prepare, but also time to get more nervous as the gig approaches. In the meantime, I'm trying to get the time (and nerve) up to go to a local jam, see what it's all about, and then give it a try if it seems like a fun (and friendly) crowd :)

I have really enjoyed and appreciated reading the posts and replies to Hot Tub over several threads! Thanks for making those available and sharing your experiences. I agree - the people on BC are awesome! I will probably be looking for a bit of encouragement myself when time gets closer to that summer gig!! I know that getting up there and just doing it is the thing to do - it's just been easy to avoid with a busy life! BUT - I really want to do it and I'm going to.

Cheers to all

5 basses....Yamaha BB414, VMJF, VMJ, Fender MIMP and a shita chinese thing....an hour an day playing usually, never been in a band and don't think I ever will, I'm no 'team player'....I just love messing...

...also have a Yamaha WR enduro bike I haven't raced for 3 months & an old Corvette Stingray I have used since September 2010....so bass is still a cheap thrill :)

Can't believe this thread generated so many replies TBH. I like the basses as works of art and will probably hang on to 'em
(and hang 'em on the walls ) :) When finishing with bands at times can be deflating , and I have wondered if it's all worth it.

After looking through all of your responses here, it looks like I shouldn't do anything at the moment , except play them.
I may even swap one or two on here in the future. Who knows? :)

I am surprised so many regular posters don't gig.

I can understand, maybe 20 plus gigging years on the trot, taking some time out and being undecided whether to continue, or needing to recharge batteries, or even if players are thin on the ground, otherwise, I don't know how people motivate themselves
to keep playing without anything at the end of it.