Why become a member? ×

Supergrass

nash

We took our daughter to see them a long time ago, she must have been 15, wife and I were 40 something. Didn't know what to expect, but they were brilliant, the sort of music that makes you smile even if you've had the worst day ever. I'm pretty sure the support band was Coldplay, so that's how long ago it was. Seen them several times since - the last time I thought they'd lost the magic somehow.

For feel good tunes, I'd put them in the same league as Jeff Lynne and ELO. That's high praise in my book.

Always liked them, bassist was a diehard vintage JapCrap player - Ibby Blazer & Roadster. Only ever saw them once, in a little tent at the first-ever T In The Park.

Hopefully they'll see sense/get bored & get back together.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

I wish I'd seen them live. I Should Coco and IIFTM are great albums and the b-sides to match are equally superb. I got Life On Other Planets for Christmas and even though it's not quite as good as the first two, it's still a great album.

Such a shame they'd split.

Its a shame the drumming is all over the shop, i suppose it adds character but its something thats allways annoyed me whilst listening to Supergrass tunes.
Great songs though, especially the first two albums.

Best single cover ever too for Caught by the Fuzz!

+1 Great band. Mentioned them t'other day in the best support band thread. Mickeys basslines are always ace & great fun to play, he also did fantastic high harmony backing vox when I saw them live. His blog was a good read too, haven't looked for a while, it was called children of the monkey basket or something similar. I used to do Richard III & Lose it in a covers band, never tired of playing them.
Cheers,
Norm.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='1105273' date='Jan 27 2011, 05:12 PM']That was a Hohner B2A, after he did his back in - I remember he later flogged it on Ebay!

J.[/quote]
I remember seeing a close up picture on Wikipedia of him from the "Diamond Hoo Ha" tour with that bass, and it had the EXACT same "Spirit by Steinberger" logo on it as mine.

Apologies for being pedantic. The Hohner and Spirit basses are probably the same basses but with different logos. Besides, seeing as you have one, you'll know they sound great anyway! :-)

I was so into I Should Coco when it came out. I found In It For the Money a bit of a let down but still enjoyed it. However I saw them on that tour in Cambridge and they were blown off stage by Spacehog, a band who's album I thought was weak but put on one of the best live shows I have ever seen. Supergrass by comparison looked like they didn't want to be there. I've still bought the albums and liked some of the songs. I think my expectations of them live really took a knocking that night