Why become a member? ×

rotosound strings

ian

well what can i say i have always used drs and other well know brands and looked over rotosounds .but today bought some for £12 and they feel and sound great on my 78 jazz i just wanted to see your thoughts on these strings ?

I've used rotosounds for over 20 years, dabbled with Elites for a year or so and tried Ernie Ball's once or twice but came back to Rotos. I'm just so used to them now I doubt I'll change to anything else.

About a year ago I switched to flat wounds one my Precision basses and they sound fantastic.

[quote name='ian' post='1083563' date='Jan 9 2011, 08:37 PM']well what can i say i have always used drs and other well know brands and looked over rotosounds .but today bought some for £12 and they feel and sound great on my 78 jazz i just wanted to see your thoughts on these strings ?[/quote]

You haven't said which ones you are using?

I used to use Rotosound rounds years ago but had some issues with the E string so ditched them. After using a few other brands I bought some R45's, the nickel on steel roundwonds without the coloured windings as they were cheaper. To be honest they are pretty damn good for the price. I wanted to try something different from steel roundwounds without going to far - ie flats and these do for me now.

It just depends on how bright you like them, If you keep strings on until they turn black anyway you won't have any trouble or if you have a bass tech who puts a fresh set on for each gig like most of the endorsers that's ok too. I like many think they sound good for a week or two then go off too soon. Elites I find last for only a few quid more in fact bassdirect does them 2 packs for £30 Inc postage which isn't too bad IMO. I'm too tight for DR's! :)

I've stuck some Steve Harris Sig flatwound Rotos on my bass, they sound fantastic. I expect I only paid a little extra for them as they've got his name on it.

I have a feeling they're only normal roto flats with his logo on the box but I'm pleased with how they sound.

Cr*p. Abrasive, tight, ill-defined, old technologies, redundant features, don't last, poor quality materials, poor quality control. Would love to be able to say a British manufacturer making a quality string, but this lot are not that. Because the strings are cheap, in relative terms, see people endlessly trying to justify to themselves that this lot make a quality product. But that's just bullsh*t.

[quote name='Jam' post='1083690' date='Jan 9 2011, 10:20 PM']I've stuck some Steve Harris Sig flatwound Rotos on my bass, they sound fantastic. I expect I only paid a little extra for them as they've got his name on it.

I have a feeling they're only normal roto flats with his logo on the box but I'm pleased with how they sound.[/quote]

+1 I love the Steve Harris flats. I don't know if it's the 'custom guage', but something about them suits me down to the ground, and I'm not even a Maiden fan!

[quote name='noelk27' post='1083761' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:22 PM']Cr*p. Abrasive, tight, ill-defined, old technologies, redundant features, don't last, poor quality materials, poor quality control. Would love to be able to say a British manufacturer making a quality string, but this lot are not that. Because the strings are cheap, in relative terms, see people endlessly trying to justify to themselves that this lot make a quality product. But that's just bullsh*t.[/quote]

Don't like them then?

Used them off and on over the years as most of us have. Started going through a Maiden phase and started a thread about Steve Harris' strings which eventually culminated in me buying a set or regular Roto flats at the end of November. I absolutely love them. they're 'my' string

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='noelk27' post='1083761' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:22 PM']Cr*p. Abrasive, tight, ill-defined, old technologies, redundant features, don't last, poor quality materials, poor quality control. Would love to be able to say a British manufacturer making a quality string, but this lot are not that. Because the strings are cheap, in relative terms, see people endlessly trying to justify to themselves that this lot make a quality product. But that's just bullsh*t.[/quote]

So are you saying we can't persuade you to join the James Howe Industries Appreciation Society then? :)

Edited by icastle

For the most part I like the Rotosound swingbass strings. Once you get over the first raspy, abrasive week then you're good to go. I also like Elixirs and DRs, but it depends on how busy I am as player - if I don't have a lot of gigs booked then I'll go for the cheapest option just to keep my hand in.

I`ve used Rotos (Swing Bass Roundwounds) for years. Tried many other roundwounds, always come back to Rotos.

However, was introduced to D`addario Chrome Flats, and have been very impressed with them, so now for the first time in years, I have one of my basses strung with strings other than Rotos.