Why become a member? ×

rotosound strings

ian

Rotosounds...my fingers still have the scars!

only ever bought 1 set, some Swing bass 55/105 I think and I got say they were terrible compared to everything I have used, mainly Ernie Balls, std Fenders and Yamaha OE D'adarrrrrrrrrrrrio blues.

....harsh, felt like playing razorblades, used them for 5 mins and packed away, and then G string died in the pack when I dug them out to fit to another bass, an Aria SB-R60.

....may have been a bad batch but never again. :)

....Ernie's are still my favorite and I have used a lot of different his flavours.

[quote name='Jam' post='1083690' date='Jan 9 2011, 10:20 PM']I've stuck some Steve Harris Sig flatwound Rotos on my bass, they sound fantastic. I expect I only paid a little extra for them as they've got his name on it.

I have a feeling they're only normal roto flats with his logo on the box but I'm pleased with how they sound.[/quote]

I'll let you know in a few days, I've used Harris strings for a year now but ordered the Jazz Flats the other day. I have a feeling it's just the silks that are a different colour. I did email Rotosound and asked, apparently there's "some difference in construction, to Steve's spec"...

I played Roto's for years and then had a period of about 4 years of trying others - went from steels to nickels, through D'Addario's, La Bella, Thomastick and a fair few others. I'm back to Roto Swing Bass again. I use a pretty light guage - 35-90's - and I've not really found anything else that gives me the same characteristics. Nickel strings are mostly too polite for my tastes. It's a pity because the snob in me really wants to find something that's a bit more 'gold standard', but I've not found anything to usurp my tried and trusted Roto's yet...

[quote name='mep' post='1083659' date='Jan 9 2011, 09:56 PM']You haven't said which ones you are using?

I used to use Rotosound rounds years ago but had some issues with the E string so ditched them. After using a few other brands I bought some R45's, the nickel on steel roundwonds without the coloured windings as they were cheaper. To be honest they are pretty damn good for the price. I wanted to try something different from steel roundwounds without going to far - ie flats and these do for me now.[/quote]

+1 for the nickel Rotos. Great value strings that sound good & last too.
(This is from someone who hates Swing Bass Rotos!)

I use swing 66's, used to use elites nickels but worked out i prefer the stainless, never actually bothered trying the elite stainless maybe should have done.

Anyways, I find the strings adequate for what I do, not mega expensive, but I do find they feel a bit sticky, maybe it's me.. I might be in the market for a new set of strings when mine all need changing.

[quote name='noelk27' post='1083761' date='Jan 9 2011, 11:22 PM']Cr*p. Abrasive, tight, ill-defined, old technologies, redundant features, don't last, poor quality materials, poor quality control. Would love to be able to say a British manufacturer making a quality string, but this lot are not that. Because the strings are cheap, in relative terms, see people endlessly trying to justify to themselves that this lot make a quality product. But that's just bullsh*t.[/quote]

I love the sound of them. Simple as that. Haven't come across anything else I like half as much, but then it all depends what bass they're on and what sound you're after.

Oh, and I actually [i]like[/i] the abrasive feel. Maybe it's just me then. :)

Edited by 4000

I think it's worth noting that Rotosound have upped their game since the 'facelift', where they invested in new machines and added new strings to the line. I think they themselves would admit that they had some QC issues in the past - but I can't remember the last time I had a dodgy string from them.

If you do have a problem with their strings - then get a replacement from the retailer and if that doesn't work for you, give Rotosound themselves a bell! I've spoken to Jason about Rotosound products and he's always happy to listen and chat.

[quote name='dood' post='1084787' date='Jan 10 2011, 08:25 PM']I think it's worth noting that Rotosound have upped their game since the 'facelift', where they invested in new machines and added new strings to the line. I think they themselves would admit that they had some QC issues in the past - but I can't remember the last time I had a dodgy string from them.

If you do have a problem with their strings - then get a replacement from the retailer and if that doesn't work for you, give Rotosound themselves a bell! I've spoken to Jason about Rotosound products and he's always happy to listen and chat.[/quote]

Good to hear, will give them a try again.

(edited to make some sense)

Edited by Fat Rich

I've used nothing else for over ten years. I love the sound but agree they do die out pretty quickly. I've only ever had a couple of problems over the years - a few months back I had an iffy A string, emailed Rotosound and they promptly sent out a whole new set - didn't want the old string, receipt or anything. I was pleased.

I often wonder if I should try some other strings out, I sometimes fell I might be missing out on something.

[quote name='bartelby' post='1083936' date='Jan 10 2011, 09:28 AM']I'll let you know in a few days, I've used Harris strings for a year now but ordered the Jazz Flats the other day. I have a feeling it's just the silks that are a different colour. I did email Rotosound and asked, apparently there's "some difference in construction, to Steve's spec"...[/quote]

The Jazz77s arrived today, out the pack they look and feel the same as the Steve Harris ones.
I'll put them on my Steve Harris P when I get chance and report back.

I know what people mean about the round wounds going off pretty fast. They used to last me 2 rehearsals and 2 gigs before sounding like thick elastic bands. But flat wounds are a different kettle of fish, the set I'm replacing are a year old and only sound slightly different to when they were new.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='1083794' date='Jan 10 2011, 12:10 AM']Used them off and on over the years as most of us have. Started going through a Maiden phase and started a thread about Steve Harris' strings which eventually culminated in me buying a set or regular Roto flats at the end of November. I absolutely love them. they're 'my' string[/quote]

I used to have a set of rotosound flatwounds strings on my old fretless. They were dire, I don't think I've ever found a string so lifeless sounding and they were as stiff as hell too, a real chore to play! Thankfully their roundwounds never let me down!

[quote name='4000' post='1084658' date='Jan 10 2011, 07:12 PM']I love the sound of them. Simple as that. Haven't come across anything else I like half as much, but then it all depends what bass they're on and what sound you're after.

Oh, and I actually [i]like[/i] the abrasive feel. Maybe it's just me then. :)[/quote]

Same! I love the sharpness, though i find it wierd when strings aren't like that!

IMHO (IMHO ONLY!) Rotosounds are miles better than D'addario and Elixer, both sound too "soft" and "Lifeless" and just flat too me.
And similar with DR, but the Drs were 'springier' which slapped awesomely :) But didn't sound like my rotos, so i always went back.

[quote name='El Bajo' post='1085777' date='Jan 11 2011, 05:33 PM']I love the metallic sound, but when they die, they really die. My B string sounds dire at the moment I need to get that sorted asap.[/quote]

Agreed!
I find them really hit and miss when it comes to the life length of Rotos! The last set i had on my 4 string, lasted for 9 or so months, where as the new set is loosing its metallicness and its only been a month :)