Why become a member? ×

I ONLY HAVE ONE BASS!!

CHRISDABASS

I owned a 'silly' amount of Warwick basses a few years back (anybody remember my sell off? :) ). It was very liberating when I went down to a couple of basses and despite buying and selling a few since then I've realised that I could very easily have the 'one' bass but for as long as I can afford a couple of basses that do different stuff then why shouldn't I.

I do have to go with you Chris, there is something liberating about having one bass.

I've parted with my Spector bass, my SX ash/maple jazz and my Markbass combo CMD121P in one week, all in aid of an endowment mortgage policy that went badly short of the target.

There's every chance there'll be a couple more basses going so I could end up with two basses.

Probably a good thing. I might concentrate on playing now rather than gear. :)

Frank.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='1057987' date='Dec 13 2010, 10:52 PM']I owned a 'silly' amount of Warwick basses a few years back (anybody remember my sell off? :) ). It was very liberating when I went down to a couple of basses and despite buying and selling a few since then I've realised that I could very easily have the 'one' bass but for as long as I can afford a couple of basses that do different stuff then why shouldn't I.

I do have to go with you Chris, there is something liberating about having one bass.[/quote]

i do! :)

wonder where ol' bluey ended up now

I could never do it. Sure, my ESP J comes with me to the grave, but then what of the Bacchus P? That's a keeper too. Then there are the others, the delicious others. They're all different, almost like children. How could I get rid of them? What kind of monster are you? :)

I been thinking about selling a couple of mine but I just can't bring myself to doing it.

My Warwick FNA Jazzman was my first Warwick and so holds a lot of memories and experiences. Even though the electronics are toast due to my bad attempt of putting a pick up in. It works but it's very hissy through P.A's. Will get it fixed eventually ^ ^

Warwick Thumb BO4. Got this at a ridiculous price and since then fitted Bartolini PUPS and a Nordstrand pre-amp. It's probably my most "hi-fi" sounding bass and it's funky to f00k. Love it!

Warwick Corvette Fretless - If any bass would go, it is this. It is the ginger child of my basses.

Just the one for me, although I entertain delusions of getting a 5-stringer.

Since us single-owners seem to be in the tiny minority here, can someone explain how they manage with multiple basses? What I mean is, how do you choose which one to use. I imagine that one of them would turn out to be the favourite, so that would be the one to always play. In which case, why keep all the others?

I'm not talking about having different 'types' of basses, e.g. different string numbers or maybe an upright, but just the basic 4-stringer.

Not having a dig at 'collectors', just curious.

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1058578' date='Dec 14 2010, 02:40 PM']Just the one for me, although I entertain delusions of getting a 5-stringer.

Since us single-owners seem to be in the tiny minority here, can someone explain how they manage with multiple basses? What I mean is, how do you choose which one to use. I imagine that one of them would turn out to be the favourite, so that would be the one to always play. In which case, why keep all the others?

I'm not talking about having different 'types' of basses, e.g. different string numbers or maybe an upright, but just the basic 4-stringer.

Not having a dig at 'collectors', just curious.[/quote]

I think its exactly that, a collection. Just like a collector of antique furniture or cars I guess, except basses are nowhere near as expensive as most of the cars people would like to own :)

[quote name='flyfisher' post='1058578' date='Dec 14 2010, 02:40 PM']Just the one for me, although I entertain delusions of getting a 5-stringer.

Not having a dig at 'collectors', just curious.[/quote]

I don't own a huge number of basses compared to some basschatters but I like all my basses for different reasons so I try to rotate them depending on the gig and my mood.

It's a luxury I admit but most of mine were bought out of an unexpected work bonus a few years ago.

I've started to shift some basses now to raise a bit of cash but I hate parting with them. The thing is though, they will always have some value - not like buying a car for example where it continually devalues. OK, you lose a bit of cash but you do have the pleasure of owning and trying out a range of basses.

Frank