Why become a member? ×

What AMP(s) is in your Local Rehearsal Studio?

JMT3781

I used the mighty (!) Survival Studios in North Acton last Friday and got a Behringer BX4500H amp on 2 x Trace 1x15 cabs.
In other rooms there I've used either all Behringer stacks or the Marshall VBA amp & 4x12 cab.
IMO & E they are all pretty naff sounding in one way or another.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1034751' date='Nov 24 2010, 09:12 AM']I didnt think Electric was that clean when I was there last, had huge ugly sounding Peavey rig (was awful) and a Markbass combo (112 of some kind) which was really nice.[/quote]

+1 on the last day of our ep sessions the singer and I took a wander around first thing. Compared to the recording studio, the rest of it was a bit tatty.

Doesn't seem to bother too many people though. Continually busy from mid-morning through to late evening.

The best place we use is actual a daytime recording studio so the room is good as is the PA and console, altho the PA is only for Vocals really.

Drums..AFAIK..are free as is the backline of older combos which aren't great but depends how fusssed you are or choosy and therefore save you humping. The kitchen is good and stocked but no biccies..you bring your own.
And all for £8 ph ..IMV, it is the best one round here by far and the cheapest.

cant believe some of you have to pay extra to rent a bass rig...

in the rooms where i work you get a tama kit, marhsall stack, marshall combos, 8x10 ashdown + head and a little peavey rig and pa and mics all for 12 pound an hour all in!

free cymbal hire too, but they are gash lol!

[quote name='JMT3781' post='1035239' date='Nov 24 2010, 04:21 PM']cant believe some of you have to pay extra to rent a bass rig...

in the rooms where i work you get a tama kit, marhsall stack, marshall combos, 8x10 ashdown + head and a little peavey rig and pa and mics all for 12 pound an hour all in![/quote]
In my den of choice, we pay £6.50 an hour, including mics and PA. If you hire a couple of amps, kit and cymbals, that'll probably take you up to about £12 an hour... but obviously the option's there to [i]not[/i] pay for all that stuff if you don't need it. :)

In one of the places here in Edinburgh, most rooms have a peavey tour 450 head and the matching 4x10 and 1x15. Lots of volume, but not much to my taste. Often brought my own amp. The premium room has got valve kit (SVT + 8x10) for both bass and guitars, but i feel that it's been abused a bit for too long. Nice and clean and all.
Other places I remember going to had, in no particular order, Peavey 400 Mark III + matching 2x15 (I actually like it, especially for the more aggressive work), battered TE 4x10 combos, some horrendous HH combo that would go from BOOM to fart without any other options (I went for the boom).
Going rate is about £10/15 per hour in the evenings. Never had to pay extra to hire backline. If asked to, i'd expect to pay around £6/8 per hour tops

[quote name='51m0n' post='1034751' date='Nov 24 2010, 09:12 AM']I didnt think Electric was that clean when I was there last, had huge ugly sounding Peavey rig (was awful) and a Markbass combo (112 of some kind) which was really nice.

Much prefer Monster, its the cleanest, best looked after rehearsal space I've been in, only downside is the supplied old Hartke rigs are very underpowered, you have to thrash the nuts off them to keep up, I generally take my rig (or at least my head) down and use that, to me its worth it....

There's another one off the Lewes road (sorry cant remember the name) with shockingly awful 810s in it with Peavey heads, my god they sound rubbish!

The old Peavey gear was never exactly luxury sound, but the newer stuff I've had the misfortune to run into in reheasal studios has been dreadful IME.[/quote]
The other one off Lewes Road is probably Scream which is not the unpleasant one I referred to, although it is pretty bad. The other very tatty one is Warner in New England House - one time there the soundproofing fell off the wall on the drummers head so that was worth every penny.

When I said Electric was clean I was comparing to those two, Warner especially, but I agree Monster is easily better but because it's small it can be difficult to get a room there. I've never had a problem with the Hartke rigs but then my band is not very loud.

The last place I visited here in Warsaw is called Quality Studio - so of course I was immediately skeptical - but in fact it had surprisingly good bass equipment: an Eden WT800 running through an Epifani 410, an oldish Trace Elliott 4x10 combo (dunno which model), and a Phil Jones Suitcase.

They had a massive array of different guitar set-ups too, two nice drumkits and even a grand piano! :) All for the princely sum of £7.50 an hour.

I went to one the other day that had a Behringer head with matching 2x10 and 1x15 cabs.There are others where I've never even seen the bass amp. I always use my own gear in rehearsal rooms anyway,so I've never had the need to look what they've got.

My band lukily reharsals in our drummers garage buildt outside his house and suficiently isolated to not getting complaints from the neighbours. Even there i usualy leave my amp at home and connect my bass to a 300W Laney floor monitor and use a DI to send it to the mixer. It's more than enough quality sound for me (better than many bass amps in the market, believe me!) to make me not bother draging my Trace Elliot 1x15" combo up and down my 2nd floor apartment's stairs.

Edited by Ghost_Bass

I used an ashdown mag combo last night 410. With my peda board in front got some pretty thunderous tones out of it. Normally i receive any combination of a peavey tour head, paired with an ampeg 810 which sounds like its eaten a few too many tins of beans, or a coupe of ampeg 115s, or somertimes a trace 115 with an ampeg. A real mish mash.

I guess its part of the fun of booking at some places, guessing what room and kit youre gonna get. Theres such a difference in my tone depending on the room alone, and as a band.

On the cost side though were skinned alive compared to some of you guys. 66 quid for 4 hours including backine. Its alaska , london waterloo. Only place that works logistically.

Taking my own rig tomorrow . Snow dependant, and cant wait!

At our local studio they have:
Ampeg SVT CL Classic Heads
Ampeg SVT 810 Cabs

or

Peavey Nitro head and cabinet.

I used to prefer the ampeg set up to the peavey. But now i use my own head. so far only on the ampeg cab. I use a Warwick proFET 3.3 and it sounds awesome through the 810 cab.

[quote name='Conan' post='1034721' date='Nov 24 2010, 08:13 AM']Notes Studios in North Shields has an old Trace 4x10 combo running through an anonymous 1x15 extension cab in one room, and Ashdown MAG stuff in the other two. When I'm feeling lazy, they do the job, but I try to take my own backline wherever possible.

I can't believe that there are rehearsal places that have MarkBass gear!! How much extra do they charge per hour? We pay £12.50 an hour whether we use their gear or not.[/quote]

We use Quad in Leicester, in the room we use, its a Markbass SD800 head into a 1x15 and a 4x10. Sounds really good and very loud. The other rooms have Ampegs into 8x10's or into Trace 2x15's... amazing really, rooms are big and well lit too, we pay £15 an hour. Only drawback, we have to pay at the time of booking by debit card.

It's a tenner an hour for the place I use in Birmingham (Robanna's), gear tends to be Ashdown heads or Ampeg SVT350s (the Ashdowns are reliable, the Ampegs aren't) and assorted 8x10s (the last few practices, I've had Edens which might have been 2 4x10s, unbadged and unidentifiable, and Ashdown - the Ashdown 8x10 was the best of the lot). There's no consistent backline but it's generally reasonable to good.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='1040467' date='Nov 28 2010, 09:24 PM']We use Quad in Leicester, we pay £15 an hour. Only drawback, we have to pay at the time of booking by debit card.[/quote]

TBH, I think that's fair. They've clearly invested a lot in gear and need to know that if a band books, they will get the money. I know that my band has taken the piss a bit recently due to issues with our singer. Cancelling rehearsals with only a day's notice when it's been booked in for weeks. Bad craic but sometimes unavoidable. If we paid at the time of booking the studio wouldn't end up with an empty 2 hour session...

Crikey - the bass rigs aren't amazing in the place I use, but sounds like you lot get stung regardless if you're using your own gear. Ours charges £18 for a 4 hour session, but that's just the room. It's about another tenner for a PA (in the bigger rooms the rig is pretty hefty though), and then a few quid a go for bits of backline. Costs a fortune if you're hiring everything, but not bad at all if you've got your own kit there.

As long as I've used rehearsal studios, the bands I've been in have always kept a locker there and stored everything on site, surprised to see that this doesn't seem the norm with a lot of you guys here! Any reason why you guys cart it all home with you?

[quote name='woodster909' post='1044357' date='Dec 1 2010, 09:19 PM']+ 1 for Quad in Leicester, which is a great set of rooms.

The room we use has a SWR head + Ashdown 2x10 + 1x15, which sounds very good.

Have also used the room with Ampeg 450 + Trace 2x15, which is absolutely amazing. Also tried the Markbass rig but not my cup of tea.[/quote]

I didn't like the Ampeg/Trace rig but I'm an Acoustic owner, so its in my DNA to not like Ampeg!

My band have started using Banana Row in Edinburgh which (compared to the doss houses I rehearsed at in the past) is pretty classy. They have acoustic treatment on the walls which makes the bass sound great. It seems all the rehearsal rooms I've used in the past seemed to provide ancient trace elliots in rooms with bare concrete walls which I hated and could never get a good sound out of. This place has Trace combos too but brand new models and they sound pretty good - which I put down to the room as much as the amp.