Why become a member? ×

amps or cabs ?

essexbasscat

I imagine this one has been done a time or two before now, but a brief search turned up nothing, so here we go !

Hypothetical;

- If you had X amount of money to spend on an amp and cab(s), what would you spend more on ? why ?

It seems to be a bit of a chicken and egg situation. For instance, the sound produced may well only be as good as the cab can produce under the circumstances. However, that end sound is also heavy dependent on what produces it.

So what do you think is more important ? amp or cab ? or something else ?

As an observation, at times, the number of threads discussing amps does seem to outweigh the threads discussing speakers. Does this indicate something perhaps ?

Thanks for all the replies :)

T

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1011415' date='Nov 3 2010, 09:59 PM']Cab, always has the limitations, and you can't modify them without a new cab. Amps are much of a muchness once you bypass the preamp.[/quote]

+1

Also, cab weight and size can be a requirement that overrides everything else.

I want them both to work in conjunction with each,so both are equally important.

When I was buying my Bergantino HS410 (which is the only cab that's ever really made me [u]have[/u] to own one),
I tried a few different amps with it,and to me the Genz Benz worked with it really well-so that's what I bought.

You can't beat a real powerhouse of a power amp (>1000Wrms into 4 ohms) to pulverize even the most stubborn cab into doing what it's told.
A large damping factor does wonders for cone control.
No, it can't undo the laws of physics, but it can deliver the (clean) power to drive your cabinet/s properly, and most cabs will tolerate big transient peaks well above their maximum rating.
The only thing you have to listen out for with the killer amp is signs of speaker distress. If you abuse speakers continually, they will ultimately fail!

If I've not had a combo at any point and have been using a seperate amp and cab. I have always (through lack of experience maybe) opted for the same manufacturer. Last rig was an Eden WT500 and a 4x10 Eden cab, as I assume that good manufacturers will make amps and cabs that compliment each other.

I'd always go for a good amp.

Your cab undoubtedly adds more to the sound and if it was just a case of "what would you pick for band practices" then sure, but in the real world having a good DI on your head is important and I've never seen bands share just heads and use separate cabs. For recording, most studios will have cabs you can use or you could DI from your head. The head is also the more expensive part of your kit anyway, so it's worth splashing a little extra on in the first place so that later you can just upgrade your cab. Chances are that if you spend more on a cab with the same budget, you're going to end up with mid-range with both and need to upgrade both in the future.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1011487' date='Nov 3 2010, 11:08 PM']I'd always go for a good amp.

Your cab undoubtedly adds more to the sound and if it was just a case of "what would you pick for band practices" then sure, but in the real world having a good DI on your head is important and I've never seen bands share just heads and use separate cabs. For recording, most studios will have cabs you can use or you could DI from your head. The head is also the more expensive part of your kit anyway, so it's worth splashing a little extra on in the first place so that later you can just upgrade your cab. Chances are that if you spend more on a cab with the same budget, you're going to end up with mid-range with both and need to upgrade both in the future.[/quote]

+1

I love my my cab, but my amp is what the audience hears in via FOH.. the only time my cab shines is in small gigs or recording studios and I do much more PA assisted gigs.. It's about the sound to the audience that counts..which is the head..

That said when I changed to orange, I did change the cab 1st.. ;-)

I still think amp.. hence why in the past I uesd my sansamp alot till the Terror Came along :-)

For those who have watched my gear journey for the last however many years will probably have a little chuckle to themselves when I say that it took me FAR too long to realise that it was the cabs all along that I needed to get right!! - and yes, it did cost a lot to learn that lesson too *gulp*.

Bass speaker cabinets play a much larger part in the final tone of a signal path than an amplifier in most cases and thus I have spent more money on getting my sound right from a speaker cabinet P.O.V than an amplifer one.

Cabs for me.

I can get the sound I want with most amps, but my 4x12 with no tweeters is the essential ingredient. Having used my amp with other peoples cabs at gigs etc, with the same eq-ing, it just hasn`t been as I want it. I`ve not been in the position to use my cab with other peoples amps, but I`ve used it with three of my own different amps, and each time I`m satisfied with the sound.

[quote name='dood' post='1011556' date='Nov 4 2010, 01:39 AM']For those who have watched my gear journey for the last however many years will probably have a little chuckle to themselves when I say that it took me FAR too long to realise that it was the cabs all along that I needed to get right!! - and yes, it did cost a lot to learn that lesson too *gulp*.

Bass speaker cabinets play a much larger part in the final tone of a signal path than an amplifier in most cases and thus I have spent more money on getting my sound right from a speaker cabinet P.O.V than an amplifer one.[/quote]

How did you travel to the holy grail Dood ? was it a case of changing / evolving ideas about what you wanted from your sound, or hearing other cabs and thinking "That's more like it" or something else ?

T

I was lucky (very) and got a £1000 cab for £400 new, I wouldn't change it for anything. I've been through more than my fair share of gear but this cab is a keeper. I've changed amps 3 times since having the cab, and I may change 3 times more, but the cab will stay.

As it happens, I'm very happy with my setup and can't see that I'll change any of it for a long time. This is the first time in ages that I've had very low GAS for anything.

[quote name='Dubs' post='1011758' date='Nov 4 2010, 10:09 AM']I was lucky (very) and got a £1000 cab for £400 new, I wouldn't change it for anything. I've been through more than my fair share of gear but this cab is a keeper. I've changed amps 3 times since having the cab, and I may change 3 times more, but the cab will stay.

As it happens, I'm very happy with my setup and can't see that I'll change any of it for a long time. This is the first time in ages that I've had very low GAS for anything.[/quote]

Don't be shy - come out of the closet and name that cab !!

[quote name='essexbasscat' post='1011931' date='Nov 4 2010, 12:26 PM']Don't be shy - come out of the closet and name that cab !![/quote]

TecAmp L410

I've had a few nice cabs (Epifani, Ampeg, Trace...) but this blows everything else I've used out of the water. Love it.

I'm not sute about this TBH. My LH500 is a blinding amp. My cabs are light too. Great set up for both 1 man/self roadieing(sic) and tone. If I had the money though, there are FAR TOO MANY cabs that I'd go for. (The new GK 2x12"s, Ampeg, Markbass's 212s, Hartke Hydrives. Considering a couple of Laney Nexus 15"s too.)

The thing is, for each time I've played live, I've played through various combinations of Ampegs, Ashdowns, Peaveys, Rolands, Hartkes and Warwicks. Apart from my time using a Little Giant 350, ALL of them have sounded great, so perhaps getting the mix right at sound check is probably the main thing.

Also, the bass players I admire have all had great bass tone regardless of the numerous amp/cab set ups they've used. (E.g. R.E.M.'s Mike Mills has used Ampegs, Mesas, Traces, Peaveys, Fenders and GKs. He could play with the shoddiest amp in the world ever and he would still sound great IMHO.)

I'm sure this isn't any help. Sorry! ;-)