Why become a member? ×

How do you care for your instrument?

Phil-osopher10

I generally wipe it clean of dust/grime when I notice it to be looking grubby. I always fast-fret the strings either before a practice or gig, and when I change the strings, on my rosewood necked basses, I polish the fretboard with lemon oil.

Periodically, say once a month, I also check the nuts on the jack, and the tuning pegs, and the tone/volume controls, check the screws on these as well, and also check the screws on the tuning pegs, and the strap-buttons.

I wax mine fairly frequently which makes me look like I care on the surface... the reality is I have to do this as I took it apart once, poured nitro mors all over it & stripped it back to the wood. I bet it didn't thank me that day! Other than that I rub a cloth over it whenever it looks a bit tarnished & ensure it is always well set up.

I am less concerned about dings but don't want to invite them. I will just get then refinished if it bothers me..but they are working basses and I'll be more paranoid if blemish free anyway.

I use a subtle light wood polish and I have an oil for the neck, but mostly when I change strings, I'll run the bass down with a clean dust cloth and blow out dust from the the bridge.

The only things I am really concerned about is temp changes and never leave basses in a shut/locked case or leave O/N in a gig bag.

Check intonation weekly and at the same time check neck straightness.

Clean and re-wax weekly on all my gear and Son-Of-A-Gun (like Armour-All, but better) treatment to all my cabs, combos and hard cases.

Test impedance and resistance in all my cables after each gig or jam. I test max voltage output from the p'ups or on-board preamp at the jack about twice a year. Record readings.

About every six months or so, I take off the pickguards and wax underneath them.

Yeah - just a[i] little [/i]obsessive. :)

I try not to bump the Status basses into things, gave them a quick polish for the first time in about 10 years and they're still in really good shape apart from some wear on the bridge pickups where my thumb goes. No adjustments ever necessary apart from an occasional battery change.

I don't do anything to the Fenders apart from adjust the truss rods when required, as James Jamerson said "the dirt keeps the funk" and I need all the help I can get.

Edited by Fat Rich

If something falls off, i like to screw it back on.
That's about it. Though when even my flats sound dead, I rub them with WD-40, works a treat.
And I constantly fiddle with the setup on all of them.
Oh, and I would like to wipe the sweat off after every gig, but I keep forgetting, so my pickup screws are rusted chunks of filth, no fun when I change them out for the next great idea...