Why become a member? ×

The one you wish you'd never EVER sold...

Jigster

Sold a jetglo 1980 4001 for practically buttons (£250) to fund then-irresistible Pointy Bass GAS (well, it WAS the 80s) and bought an Aria ZZB Deluxe. Within a few months I'd compounded the error by selling my 75 Precision for a similar amount for a Washburn B20-8. Was there no end to my foolishness? Mind you, although both pointy things are long gone, I'd have the Washburn back again just for the novelty. Can't remember what I got for my SVT and 8x10, but it was comparitively beggar all, too... :)

The only thing I have left from those days is my owned-from-new BB3000A, which I'm now considering selling. I may come to regret that in the future, too - it's so hard to tell without hindsight... :lol:

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='989032' date='Oct 15 2010, 11:18 AM']I miss that Modulus Sonic Hammer I sold a while back too -[/quote]
Aw man, that thing was an animal... remember giving it a blast in my garage? If I remember correctly, a shelf fell off the wall or something :)

[quote name='goingdownslow' post='989069' date='Oct 15 2010, 11:49 AM']I hate these threads because they always remind me of my regret in selling these two Les Paul basses.
I had packed in playing around 1980 and these had been in the loft for a while. One of my nephews talked me into selling them to his mate. The worse thing was, I was dabbling with CB radio at the time and put the cash into this and within a few weeks my head was cabbaged with the muppets on the air.
I still have the EB3 although in pieces at the mo' awaiting [i]another[/i] refin.

[attachment=61410:GibsonBasses.jpg][/quote]

lovely retro photo tho :)

I have sold loads and don't really, really regret any - possibly though my Washburn B20 Stage, my first quality bass, which I sold to a mate in the mid 80s so I could buy an Aria RSB Deluxe II. I wanted to learn to slap, and the Washboard was a vaguely Explorer-shaped effort, with the P pup jammed up against the end of the fingerboard, and was (at least for me at the time) unslappable. I did love the Aria & it was my main bass for about 15 years, until the neck developed an uncorrectable twist. :lol: Anyway if I still had the Washburn I'd probably just sell it now because they can get some quite daft money these days & I'm a total gyppo... :)

Things I feel vague pangs about that I've sold recently would be an SQ series Squier Precision, gorgeous thing and the nicest P I've played, I doubt I'll see its like again; a very accurate no-name JapCrap Gibson Grabber copy, in lovely condition, and my Ibanez SR800LE. I bought the Ibby to replace the Aria, it got a lot of use for a few years but I hadn't touched it for 4 or 5 - so I swapped with a BCer for a Peavey T-40, which is a lumpy, backbreaking boat-anchor compared to the featherweight, ergonomic sleekness of the SR800. JapCrap FTW, I'm afraid.

A couple of months ago I found myself in an unforseen financial black hole and [i]nearly[/i] sold my Tokai Talbo - fortunately I saw sense at the last minute & weathered the crisis. I would have been gutted if I'd parted with it, as it turned it would have been for nothing anyway.

Jon.

Also the other one is my SWR half stack which i got £80 for (well £95 including the 2U rack case that came with it...) I didn't think it was working properly but maybe i could have got more money for it. Then again i don't think i would have felt right having sold it for more and not thinking it was any good.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Jigster' post='988897' date='Oct 15 2010, 09:56 AM']...what bass got away in some rash made impulsive idiotic decision?[/quote]
"...rash impulsive idiotic decision..." is right!
My Rickenbacker 4001s bought new in 1974, sold on in 1980.

My Chapman Stick, which I picked up cheap & sold in a moment of blind greed when I was offered almost twice what I paid for it. Secondhand Stick prices have gone nuts now & I'll never be able to afford another one.

Both of my early 70s Black Rickenbacker 4001s; especially the one with the checkerboard binding, big crushed pearl inlays & toaster/horseshoe pickups. (I Only regret selling these two because of how much they sell for now - I paid £206 for one of them!)

My 1968 P bass fretless.One of the first batch of production line fretless`s.It used to be Alan Spenners(greaseband/kokomo etc).I got it in 1973!! and had it until about 7 years or so ago when I traded it in for silly money against a mother keyboard in Demark Street .................... doh!!
For many years it was my sole gigging bass,but a dip into the waters of musicman said that I should let it go.
I`d still love to be able to reach for it and play it ..................

I've owned some amazing basses over the years such as:

All black 5 string Stingray like Flea's
Musicman Stingray 30th and 20th anniversaries
Modulus Flea
Carlo Robelli 12 string
Warwich Thumb NT5
Rickenbacker 4003 - one in Midnite Blue, the other in a minty green Blueboy
Ibanez SR1016
2 Unique Warmoths

And you know what, I don;t regret selling any of them cos what I have now is exactly what I want. If I had been in a position similar to some above and had sold a bass for peanuts only to have them be worth a fortune a few years later I would be miffed but I have been very shrewd (and lucky) and 9 times out of 10 have made a profit

I was fortunate to find a JV precision with a serial in the low 1xxxxx on Ebay for £200 a couple of years ago. Played it, didn't see the attraction with them and doubled my money a fortnight later.

The vintage Telecaster bass I bought off Beedster which I sold in a midst of slight panic after overspending elsewhere - it's still the screensaver on my laptop. Also, the maple boarded fretless that Prosebass put together for me - moment of madnes that one.

[quote name='Rich' post='989150' date='Oct 15 2010, 01:14 PM']Aw man, that thing was an animal... remember giving it a blast in my garage? If I remember correctly, a shelf fell off the wall or something :)[/quote]

This sounds class!

The one I wish I hadn't sold is my 1989 Kubicki Ex Factor, #1777. I traded it for a Status Stealth bass which was good but nowhere near as good as the Kubicki. The Kubicki then came up for sale on the boards for £550 a few weeks later, I was so skint I couldn't buy it back!

These days I'm lucky enough to have both the space and the financial resources not to need to sell any of my basses in order to buy something new. In fact I've only sold 3 basses in total and none of them will be missed because they were all bought because I needed to have a bass to do a particular job immediately rather than waiting for the right bass for me to come along:

Red Futurama bass bought as a backup for my Burns Sonic. Luckily I never needed to use it in anger as it was horrible to play and sounded nothing like the Burns. Sold in order to raise the cash for an SH09 synth.

Washburn ABT 5-string. I wanted a 5-string. This was OK but when I bought my first Overwater bass a year later it never got used again. Sold to someone who actually wanted it.

Squier Vintage Modified Fretless Jazz. Bought because I wanted something better than my de-fretted Wesley acrylic bass. It wasn't.

However I have done a massive amount of buying and selling synths mostly in the 80s and early 90s, most of which would be worth a lot more now than I ever got for them.

Mine was a great JV Squier 50's precision - black body. white plate,maple neck. Sounded fine.
Others include my lovely 70's SVT rig - still the best amp I've ever played through.
And I can't even think about the 60's strat I sold for peanuts.........

[quote name='Jigster' post='989221' date='Oct 15 2010, 02:15 PM']here's the 335, just to compound the misery

I KNOW it has too many strings, but look at the way the thru neck meets the body, it's sublime

[attachment=61424:DSC00132.jpg]

[attachment=61423:DSC00128.jpg][/quote]

Jeez, I feel your pain with that one - what a beaut!

Worst for me, selling a minter '72 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe (gold top) to my brother in the mid-80's for a lousy £200 so I could buy a decent violin (don't ask). I know for a fact it's sat under his bed ever since and the so-and-so won't sell it back for any money. :lol:

Bass-wise I tend to buy oddball basses, so once sold I never see another. Main regret is an '80's Graham Crook Custom fretless; like a Wal Mk 1 but thru-neck, jazz p/ups (I changed for Barts), gorgeous Sapele body wings. Gone :)

I stupidly sold a beautiful P- Bass. What a tone it had! - Poor thing had been previously refinished in 'natural' with a questionable varnish, but had the 70's black pickguard - 90% sure it was a dimarzio pickup, reverse Kluson keys.. quite a heavy beast. I sold it to a guy in Bury St Edmunds.

I often wonder where it has gotten to - it had two distinctive screw holes where a thumb rest had been placed above the E string near the bridge.

I think I have some pics somewhere, I'll have to get them scanned in!