Why become a member? ×

Raising your speaker cab.

arthurhenry

I voted for the last option in each case. Some random thoughts - the speaker/combo stands I've seen look naff, I certainly wouldn't use one in rock band; I feel happier if at least one cab is in direct contact with the floor, and if I want sound closer to my head I'd put another cab on top of it; since I bought a Markbass combo, being able to hear myself without excessive volume is no longer a problem.

[quote name='chris_b' post='966700' date='Sep 24 2010, 02:00 PM']Bass cabs sound better on the ground/stage. If you have to have your sound nearer to your ears, get a second cab.[/quote]

+1

Only lift mine off the floor if I cant get rid of boominess on hollow stages, otherwise it stays put.

I prefer guitar amps raised as the bass frequencies often can mush into the bass region otherwise - especially with humbucker guitars. Anywhere you play is likely to have beercrates and failing that a spare chair/stool which do a perfectly good job though. One more thing to carry - no thanks.

Saying that, an idea I had once (which I didn't do anything about as I though it was a daft idea on reflection) was for a gear box to hold cables, mics, pedals / bits & bobs about the same size as a speaker cab and styled to look like one in tolex with a fabric panel to suggest a speaker/baffle. Even though this is a daft idea, some guitarists would probably love this as it could.

[list=1]
[*]raise their amp up
[*]Give a home to loads of bits & bobs they probably carry around in asda 'bags for life'
[*]look like they have a bigger rig (& therefore a bigger c**k)
[/list]

I always try to raise the speaker cab as this avoids feedback and allows me to hear myself onstage without deafening the other musicians. My only wish is that everyone else would return the favour - I have noted that many musicians who are guilty of playing too loudly yet claim to be unable to hear themselves do the "speaker next to their feet on the floor" thing, or worse, have the speaker in front of them, subjecting everyone but themselves to their dreadful racket. Of course they can't hear themselves, their ears are not at their ankles!

I have a tilting combo stand to raise my amp, or if travelling light use whatever is available - small table, chair, beer crate.

Jennifer

I think it's a case of how big the stages are you play on..... most pub bands struggle to hear what they play as they are virtually standing on top of their amp. I play a lot of high end weddings and fortunately am normally around 10-15 ft in front of my 2 x 12 stack so hear pretty well what I'm playing.

[quote name='crez5150' post='966754' date='Sep 24 2010, 02:42 PM']I think it's a case of how big the stages are you play on..... most pub bands struggle to hear what they play as they are virtually standing on top of their amp. I play a lot of high end weddings and fortunately am normally around 10-15 ft in front of my 2 x 12 stack so hear pretty well what I'm playing.[/quote]

Ha, good point. I tend to lurk around in the close vicinity of my amp irrespective of the size of stage, so I would imagine this colours my perception somewhat.

Jennifer

If I'm gigging with the 4x10/1x15 on a Sunday, it goes on the stage, about 5' - 10' behind me. We normally set the band up in front of the stage.

If I've got the Line 6 Lowdown, it'll sit on a chair comfortably enough, tilted up at my ears. I do also have some beer crates at home, just in case I need an emergency 'lift'.

Always had problems if any of my cabs/combos are on the deck i.e. pointing at my ankles :)

HTH, Ian

on my 2x10 - I try it on the ground first.. on a very few occasions, I take it off the ground - if It doesn't need to be loud and might be a touch boomy.

But if you're further away from the cab you cab hear it better.. I understand that some take it off the ground to get it closer to the ear, but you lose the bottom end

with my 2x10 and 1x15... On the floor!!.. 15's are made for the ground and I put the 2x10 on top and that's for the big big gigs