Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

Played an outdoor festival - one of those 'back of a flatbed HGV' setups, and used my 100w 112 as a monitor (bass dialled out, just some mids and highs) on a tiltback 'point at yer ears' stand, with the rest through the PA. Admittedly, the PA was close by, but it sounded immense; it's an odd thing how your ears focus on the location/direction of the highs and mids and attribute the bass to it, too: it sounded like I'd defied the laws of physics, and it was all coming from a tiny box... 😀

Edited by Muzz
  • Like 1

An update.

I am still in the process of completely rearranging my pedal setup, so the signal chain listed bellow here is a temporary scrapped down version, only consisting of the always on pedals that makes up my "amp-less" setup, and then my high gain distortion setup.

This is how the entire "amp-less" setup currently looks listed in written form:

On 24/05/2023 at 04:44, Baloney Balderdash said:

Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass (with the stock P + J pickup pulled out and replaced for a single EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, wired directly to the output jack socket, tuned in F# standard tuning, that is 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning, and strung with regular Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings of the gauges .080 - .062 - .046 - .036) ->>

As the very first thing in the chain, right after the bass :

->> XVive V16 Undulator  (tremolo, though never actually engaged, used exclusively for it's really effective buffer) ->> EHX Black Finger  (tube driven optical compressor, though only dialed in to deliver a very subtle compression and primarily functioning as a tube preamp stage, with its 2 EHX 12AX7EH preamp tubes, operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, driven to just on the verge of breakup) ->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (used exclusively for a customized 1 octave up effect, that is used always applied, relatively subtly, to my high gain distortion/fuzz setup, to improve definition and articulation, though it actually does add some extra heft and depth as well) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (effect loops mixer/switch, used for my high gain distortion setup, always with the {1 octave up -> Clean signal} from the Sub'N'Up Mini stacked into it) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, used on a high gain setting in Turbo RAT mode, always used with the 1 octave up effect from the Sub'N'Up stacked into it and blended with {Orange Juice -> Metal Zone} from parallel effects [Loop B Send]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> Joyo Orange Juice (used for a low gain overdrive, and always stacked into the Metal Zone in front of it, always with the 1 octave up effect from the Sub'N'Up stacked into the Boss LS-2, and always blended with the Mosky Black Rat from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (used on a relatively moderate gain setting, always with the Orange Juice overdrive stacked into it, and always with the 1 octave up effect from the Sub'N'Up stacked into the Boss LS-2, and blended with either the Mosky Black Rat or Behringer Super Fuzz from parallel effects [Loop A])  ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an about 50/50 ratio) }=>> Orange Juice (medium gain overdrive) ->>

Then as the very last thing in the signal chain, before the poweramp and FRFR PA speaker :

->> Zoom B1Xon (which is mainly used for various reverb effects, including an always on subtle reverb, consisting of a very subtle plate reverb stacked into a subtle spring reverb) ->> NUX MLD Bass Preamp + DI (NBP-5) (using the Aguilar Tone Hammer amp emulation and the Ampeg SV212 IR cab simulation, with the post IR EQ filters set as follows: HPF set at 40Hz, and the LPF set at just below 14kHz, the amp EQ controls set as follows: Bass (40Hz) at about 2 o'clock (70=~+6dB), Middle at about 3 o'clock (84=~+10dB), with the middle Freq at about 1 o'clock (398Hz), Treble (4kHz) at about 1 o'clock (54=~+1dB), and the Drive engaged, with the Drive control set at 9 o'clock (13), and clean/drive Blend control at noon position (50=50/50)) ->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, with its build in, fixed at 40Hz -12dB/Oct, HPF engaged, and its EHX 12AX7EH preamp tube driven to just on the verge of breakup) ->>

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice // ->> Home recordings //  

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->> Effects Return (poweramp input) of a Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W combo amp, with the build in speaker disconnect and instead hooked up to a passive PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (passive full range flat frequency response PA speaker with 1x 15"  woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn) // ->> Home practice  ->> The T.Mix Mix 502 (mixer) ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (studio grade, that is FRFR, headphones) // ->> Home recordings ->> M-Audio Fast Track (audio interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) //

That is:

Bass -> Buffer -> Subtle Compression + Tube Preamp Stage -> [octave up effect, used exclusively in conjunction with distortion/fuzz]-> [modulation/various other effects -> dist/fuzz/OD] -> Subtle Reverb -> [reverb/various other effects -> delay] -> Digital Amp Emulation + IR Cab Simulation -> Tube Preamp + DI -> Poweramp -> FRFR PA Speaker

And this is how the different parts of this setup look:

The bass (though the knob nearest the neck is now red) :

image.thumb.png.2764017e75d5c0997d7fc08da66e7679.png

The pedals (the ART Tube MP project Series tube preamp is missing from this photo):

image.thumb.png.84abb649e3bbe45b4941704f56be9c2a.png

The band jam/rehearsal / live gig backline (power)amp and FRFR PA speaker:

image.thumb.png.11b0c8c3b84d43fe847450977f44b3bd.png 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

Swapped out 2x210s for a 410 via @Stofferson today.... Gt150 sounding righteous through it! Roll on rehearsal on Wednesday! ✌️

DSC_2322.thumb.JPG.ef94e68ddf18aaae529285ac83cab5d1.JPG

Dear lord!, enjoy sir! Was fun chatting gear in Sainsbury's car park.

Not as impressive but still beefy!

20230603_113725.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2023 at 01:21, mrtcat said:

Picked the Aguilar up at 5 this afternoon and it had its first run out this evening at a wedding. Sounded as good as you'd expect. 

IMG_20230603_204228_185.thumb.jpg.e0862e37d9d0c395a2737987ca25b450.jpg

You had one of those a few years ago didn’t you? As did I. 
Debating whether to get another again- they are awesome amps

• Like 2

A bit of the same as usual with a bit of something ( relatively) new. What started as a quest to find the smallest lightest and cheapest giggable amp box with the most watts has morphed into a fairly wholesome setup. The band are back rehearsing after a break and looking forward to some gig action in July. Used this setup tonight at rehearshal and it performed perfectly. Same cab ( a faital pro loaded Musicman ), a GP12SMX stereo pre-amp and the tiny lightweight 1U air cooled Harley Benton GPA-400. Loud enough for a small pub gigs using one channel but where it shines is in bridge mode( 400watts @ 8 ohm). Another unique feature I haven't seen on other stereo power amps like this is a basic EQ where you can cut or boost bass & treble quickly on the fly without messing around on the GP12SMX. Very handy if you have a dull or boomy venue. It also has a very neutral and clean class-D sound with the EQ at the default 12 o'clock setting so I get the sound of the GP12SMX in all its glory.

IMG_2198.thumb.jpeg.ab19d8934068b853fa52bf8f9ea2bfac.jpeg

• Like 6

The cab riser was present at the venue :) Really liked that. The Stingray is a Sterling Ray34 body with a Nordstrand pickup (and the original preamp) and a custom built fretless neck by Peter Boekholt. When I bought it, it came with a fretless Status neck which I sold a few months ago because I wanted a wood neck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, msb said:

Big Berg! 
I’ve been looking at the Sisma.

i've owned and tried all the top of the line bass heads during last years... (Aguilar db750, Glockengklang Blue Sky, Aguilar TH700, Quilter BB800, Ampeg SVT-VR, SVT2, Gallien Krueger RB800, 1001RB, Bergantino B-amp, Demeter Tube preamp and Alembic preamp with Power amp.. and more)

nothing sounds like this little monster!!!!  never heard an amp with a faster power section..  it's incredible and now i can't play with other stuff!!

even the simple headphone output is in pure class A, and with its 5 watts it can even power a small speaker in a home/studio situation

• Thanks 1