Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

Current rig with the 2x10 for the more "intimate" venues...........the 2112 with the RM800 EQ set flat is beautiful....and the RBI is A/B'd to shift the tone if desired.......75 re-issue Jazz has a Badass II fitted and a set of Geddy Tom Brantley pups await to be fitted. The MXR fuzz and OC3 Octave works wonders for a Muse style....

20230408_204153.jpg

• Like 7

I've been in an acoustic duo since 2004, we rehearse regularly, write songs continually. We don't play very often, the odd open mic night here and there, I suppose we are as happy writing songs as we are performing them. It's taken me years to find the right basses but @Jabba_the_gut builds exactly the right instruments for our kind of music and I am very lucky to have two of his basses with a third on the way. What was more difficult was finding the right amplification. I tried all sorts of things over the last forty years in various bands and never really found anything I liked, even before playing in my current duo I disliked the baked in sounds of bass amps, all I ever wanted was the inherent sound of the instrument but just louder, sounds simple, difficult task. Thanks to @Bridgehouse's Interesting FRFR thread I tried out a QSC K12.2 and to my delight discovered it did exactly what I wanted, made my bass louder with as little colouration as possible, great, that's the louder bit solved. Now, although I play in an acoustic duo, our songs are quite diverse and I do need a certain range of tones. This is another great thing about using an FRFR, I think it is very difficult to settle on a tone if you start with equipment that has a baked in sound, with the QSC you can really start from scratch. The Jabba basses, tbh, sound glorious just plugged straight into the QSC, and that sound, with just the variation from the single tone pot on the bass caters for perhaps 75% of our songs but, some need a really bright almost funk tone and some need an almost double bass feel. Now the Jabba basses (fretted and fretless) are both strung with LaBella nylon tapewounds and while that sounds quite tone limiting they can produce bright tones but need a little help. Now, needing a little more tone shaping but requiring that tone shaping to, again, not colour the sound other than the changes I am inputting via the controls turned out to be quite difficult. Retaining the fundamental acoustic vibe of the instruments whilst tweaking EQ turned out to be quite tough, I watched hours of videos and tried out a heap of preamps but I always came back to Grace Design. They are built specifically for acoustic instruments, more for guitar, violin etc. really but I couldn't find anything better so, eventually, I bought a Grace Design Alix. I've had the preamp and compressor for over a week now but the QSC was at another location, this morning I got it back and I had my first chance to put it all together. Man, it sounds good, so quiet noise wise and it has the perfect tonal range, well chuffed.

1980630965_Rig3.thumb.jpg.721e7b009174f1679663318828e984c8.jpg

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 12

42 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

I've been in an acoustic duo since 2004, we rehearse regularly, write songs continually. We don't play very often, the odd open mic night here and there, I suppose we are as happy writing songs as we are performing them. It's taken me years to find the right basses but @Jabba_the_gut builds exactly the right instruments for our kind of music and I am very lucky to have two of his basses with a third on the way. What was more difficult was finding the right amplification. I tried all sorts of things over the last forty years in various bands and never really found anything I liked, even before playing in my current duo I disliked the baked in sounds of bass amps, all I ever wanted was the inherent sound of the instrument but just louder, sounds simple, difficult task. Thanks to @Bridgehouse's Interesting FRFR thread I tried out a QSC K12.2 and to my delight discovered it did exactly what I wanted, made my bass louder with as little colouration as possible, great, that's the louder bit solved. Now, although I play in an acoustic duo, our songs are quite diverse and I do need a certain range of tones. This is another great thing about using an FRFR, I think it is very difficult to settle on a tone if you start with equipment that has a baked in sound, with the QSC you and really start from scratch. The Jabba basses, tbh, sound glorious just plugged straight into the QSC, and that sound, with just the variation from the single tone pot on the bass caters for perhaps 75% of our songs but, some need a really bright almost funk tone and some need an almost double bass feel. Now the Jabba basses (fretted and fretless) are both strung with LaBella nylon tapewounds and while that sounds quite tone limiting they can produce bright tones but need a little help. Now, needing a little more tone shaping but requiring that tone shaping to, again, not colour the sound other than the changes I am inputting via the controls turned out to be quite difficult. Retaining the fundamental acoustic vibe of the instruments whilst tweaking EQ turned out to be quite tough, I watched hours of videos and tried out a heap of preamps but I always came back to Grace Design. They are built specifically for acoustic instruments, more for guitar, violin etc. really but I couldn't find anything better so, eventually, I bought one. I've had the preamp and compressor for over a week now but the QSC was at another location, this morning I got it back and I had my first chance to put it all together. Man, it sounds good, so quiet noise wise and it has the perfect tonal range, well chuffed.

Pon... sorry wrong thread!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I've been in an acoustic duo since 2004, we rehearse regularly, write songs continually. We don't play very often, the odd open mic night here and there, I suppose we are as happy writing songs as we are performing them. It's taken me years to find the right basses but @Jabba_the_gut builds exactly the right instruments for our kind of music and I am very lucky to have two of his basses with a third on the way. What was more difficult was finding the right amplification. I tried all sorts of things over the last forty years in various bands and never really found anything I liked, even before playing in my current duo I disliked the baked in sounds of bass amps, all I ever wanted was the inherent sound of the instrument but just louder, sounds simple, difficult task. Thanks to @Bridgehouse's Interesting FRFR thread I tried out a QSC K12.2 and to my delight discovered it did exactly what I wanted, made my bass louder with as little colouration as possible, great, that's the louder bit solved. Now, although I play in an acoustic duo, our songs are quite diverse and I do need a certain range of tones. This is another great thing about using an FRFR, I think it is very difficult to settle on a tone if you start with equipment that has a baked in sound, with the QSC you and really start from scratch. The Jabba basses, tbh, sound glorious just plugged straight into the QSC, and that sound, with just the variation from the single tone pot on the bass caters for perhaps 75% of our songs but, some need a really bright almost funk tone and some need an almost double bass feel. Now the Jabba basses (fretted and fretless) are both strung with LaBella nylon tapewounds and while that sounds quite tone limiting they can produce bright tones but need a little help. Now, needing a little more tone shaping but requiring that tone shaping to, again, not colour the sound other than the changes I am inputting via the controls turned out to be quite difficult. Retaining the fundamental acoustic vibe of the instruments whilst tweaking EQ turned out to be quite tough, I watched hours of videos and tried out a heap of preamps but I always came back to Grace Design. They are built specifically for acoustic instruments, more for guitar, violin etc. really but I couldn't find anything better so, eventually, I bought one. I've had the preamp and compressor for over a week now but the QSC was at another location, this morning I got it back and I had my first chance to put it all together. Man, it sounds good, so quiet noise wise and it has the perfect tonal range, well chuffed.

Very cool Frank 👌

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

That's a wonderful set up matey.

I remember you raving about the QSC a little while ago, sounds perfect for your needs.

Remind me, what scale length are your Jabbas?

• Thanks 1

Here's my main big gig rig... I split the bass signal in the Helix, left being an octaved guitar effect and right is an overdrive bass sound. Both go into separate channels in the dbx compressor then into the stereo Crown amp with L signal going into the 2x10 and R into 4x10. I'll send the separate split signals to the PA as well.

If it's a smaller gig I'll bridge the Crown and feed it from the BBE pre amp with Helix inputs being centred. Works quite well!

I'm tending to gig with the ACG Recurve...

IMG_20230417_181129.jpg

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Here's my main big gig rig... I split the bass signal in the Helix, left being an octaved guitar effect and right is an overdrive bass sound. Both go into separate channels in the dbx compressor then into the stereo Crown amp with L signal going into the 2x10 and R into 4x10. I'll send the separate split signals to the PA as well.

If it's a smaller gig I'll bridge the Crown and feed it from the BBE pre amp with Helix inputs being centred. Works quite well!

I'm tending to gig with the ACG Recurve...

IMG_20230417_181129.jpg

The one (ACG) that got away... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Tis a thing of beauty - cheers!

😃

Though we're not in an exclusive relationship - I sometimes gig the Parker... And record with the Wal and Lightwave.

Neglected she is... You should send her home... 

• Haha 1

After looking around for what seemed like ages an Aguilar SL112 popped up in our local market , so I immediately snagged it. It will be mostly for home use but I’ll take it downtown this weekend to hear it at room volume.

IMG_7074.jpeg

Edited by msb
Wrong pic
  • Like 1