Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

31 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Tonight Matthew I am mostly going as a bi-amping basslord.

Crossover sending the low end to the old Trace amp and new Trace cabs, while the high end goes to the TC Electronic.

Nice.

IMG_20230210_191130.jpg

Does anybody actually bi-amp any more? How very 80s...! 

Actually, when I used to sort of bi-amp (back in the 80s), I used a pre-amp into a PA power amp, with one side going into a 410 and the other into a 215. Sounded great, but totally impractical when I ended up in a band without a van and roadies! A very different looking set-up to yours! 

Edited by peteb
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, peteb said:

Actually, when I used to sort of bi-amp (back in the 80s), I used a pre-amp into a PA power amp, with one side going into a 410 and the other into a 215. Sounded great, but totally impractical when I ended up in a band without a van and roadies! A very different looking set-up to yours! 

Yeah, I don't always do it but it's fun, and I bought the crossover so....

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Yeah, I don't always do it but it's fun, and I bought the crossover so....

It just seems like too much work these days, now we're all getting old! Mind you, I loved my old 80s rig when I had other people to carry it...! 

Edited by peteb

2 hours ago, peteb said:

I once had a stereo rig and each pu was bi-amped too!…4 amps.  let’s just say overkill!

Edited by stereoplayer
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I used to have the TE 15’s , super deep bass and really good cabs, probably classed as heavy now compared to Jupiter 

That's fixed now. :) 

Back in the day, before my lumbar region turned to cottage cheese, I had a TE 18", 15" and 2x10" to mix and match as I fancied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

Back in the day, before my lumbar region turned to cottage cheese, I had a TE 18", 15" and 2x10" to mix and match as I fancied.

I wonder how much my back problems are down to lifting and carrying those heavy old cabs around in my younger days

53 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I wonder how much my back problems are down to lifting and carrying those heavy old cabs around in my younger days

Indeed.  In theory, you get yourself prepared, tense all the right muscles, bend the knees and off you go.  In practice, that little turn in the stairwell, that little slip on the gravel of the car park all conspire to knacker the lumbar.  I had quite a physical job for a while, which didn't help.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, peteb said:

I had a GK800RB bi-amped into an ampeg 8x10 and a TE 4x10 and I could get it all into a Renault 19... Played havoc with the fuel economy...

• Like 1

I did it for a giggle many moons ago with a Trace 600SMX although I never gigged it.. Low side was a Trace 1153 and a Martin Audio EM201 (1x18" direct radiating) sub then on the high side, a Trace 1048H and 2103H. Utterly ridiculous, frankly but very entertaining and definitely thunderous. I really wish I had some pics of that lot 😆  

Personally, I've never felt the need to biamp with a bass rig as I've always had enough fidelity for my own tastes. Even the 600SMX despite it's built in x-over was only ever used full range in the real world - it powered an 1153 and a 1048H normally.

I always thought it was a shame that the x-over in the Trace only operated over such a limited range (250Hz to 1kHz) and as such didn't allow the low-pass side to work as a true 'sub only'. At the upper end, crossing over at 1kHz would be very marginal for a 1.4" compression driver and as such, limited it's potential. I do, however appreciate that the origins of that crossover (early AH500 models) came from an era where heavy, bulky and occasionally esoteric designs of horn loaded cabs were still the norm - just look at those old Trace adverts from the '80s. 😬 

My main bass, a just 28.6" scale Ibanez GSRM20 neck + GSRM20B body Mikro Bass, strung up with Elixir Nanoweb guitar strings, threaded through the cut off ball ends of old bass strings, to not fall through the bridge, of the gauges .080 - .062 - .046 - .036, tuned to F# standard tuning, that is 2 half steps above regular 4 string bass E standard tuning (left shot is how it looks currently, right how it looked previously, the latter just included because it's a much better shot of the bass, to give a better impression of how it really looks :

image.thumb.png.1a2f737c13688a57fe96b252e3fa5191.pngimage.thumb.png.2a367857984e23099787bec856fb9e52.png

My pedal board setup, which is a pedal based "amp-less" setup, is currently under reconstruction, but this is how I plan for it to look when done :

image.thumb.png.649c7c2c579fc6e2af579d7f4c99f6e6.png

The small board containing all my "always on" pedals, the actual pedal based "amp-less" setup part of this arrangement, bar for the Zoom MS-70 CDR on the big board, which is also an "always on" pedal, that beside working as a multiband parametric equalizer got the last of those 2 band parametric EQ models in the signal chain of the always on patch set up as follows: [Freq=12kHz Q=1 Cut=-18dB ; Freq=20kHz Q=0.5 Cut=-20dB], approximately mimicking a -12dB/Oct LPF set at 3.6kHz, essentially functioning as a simple faux, EQ based, cab sim. 

The TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini is used exclusively for a 1 octave up effect, delivered by a customized Toneprint, to mimic an effect somewhat similar to that of an 8 string bass, with pairs of respectively bass and octave strings.

Some of the pedals in my setup was missing from the online pedal planer app I used to make above graphics, so this is what the numbered pedals really are supposed to be :

:-: Xotic EP Booster (forgot to number that pedal) = Mosky XP Bosster (clone of the Xotic EP Booster V1)

:=: The 2 Joyo Gate of Kahn pedals (forgot to number those pedals too) = Joyo Orange Juice (Orange amp style drive)

:1: Artec SE-EQ8 Graphic Eq (8 band graphic equalizer)

:2: EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, actually primarily functioning as a tube preamp stage, though I do have a bit of subtle compression dialed in as well)

:3: ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI)

:4: Zoom G1on (primarily functioning as a pre drive reverb unit, though also used for a few non reverb effect patches)

:5: Zoom B1Xon (primarily functioning as a post drive reverb unit, though also used for a few non reverb effect patches)

:6: Danelectro FAB Metal

:7: Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (basically a rebrand of the Arion SFL-1 Stereo Flanger)

:8: Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, used in Turbo RAT mode)

Also forgot to include the HoTone Trem, tremolo pedal, which would go after the Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz on the big board, in effects loop B of the Boss LS-2, and physically it would be placed after, that is to the right of, the EHX Freeze on the middle ledge of the board.

My amp, a 160W SS Peavey Solo Special 112, of which I only use the poweramp section, going into its Effects Return input, and having the build in 12" speaker disconnected and instead hooked up to a passive FRFR PA speaker, the The Box PA 502, which features a 15" woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high mids/high frequency tweeter (think the crossover is at about 2kHz) :

image.thumb.png.16c389d7759b86739f1280c6f9f14cec.png

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
Forgot to include the HoTone Trem pedal!
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, AScheck9 said:

Good lord, that's a lot of pedals! I'd get lost tap dancing on those. I have three buttons on my hx stomp and that's two too many for my liking. 

And I even completely forgot to include the tremolo pedal which I plan on being a part of this setup too. ;)

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1