Why become a member? ×

Show us your rig!

ped

On 04/07/2022 at 20:46, jezzaboy said:

After a brief flirtation with a pre/power amp set up, I recently picked up these. Cab is a RM 414 and the head is a MAG 400 which is a MAG/ABM mash up according to the seller. The head is in great nick for something 15 to 20 years old.

20220703_160707.thumb.jpg.4cccd05f03b02251562ad3caa68144fc.jpg

On 04/07/2022 at 20:56, Merton said:

Nice!

Yep I think those early red-face MAG heads used the exact same power amp as the ABM 👍🏻

Yes these amps used the same ABM power stage as the ABM's of the time used. I know this amp well and it's history. It was purchased new in 2002 by a dude called Nick from Wales and he used it in his band, Welsh rockers "Clipper" for nearly eighteen years without a single issue. It travelled all over the UK and mainland Europe in its gigging life. It ended up coming north a few years ago and was fully rebuilt/serviced and is quite possibly the best example of a MAG400 head in the UK currently. I used it as a rehearsal amp and gigged it briefly (between ABM's.) It's a cracking amp!      

Screenshot 2022-10-03 at 04.00.09.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Salt on your Bass? said:

You still got the matamp? How's the head of doom? 

Yeah still got the Matamp, couldn't be bothered to dig it out, I like the H.O.D, it does what I want, but saying that so do the others I've got 😄.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At a rehearsal last week , I usually lug my ancient GK MB150, noticed it wasn’t up to snuff. Volume dropped and it was sounding distorted. I once blew the amp up and loved it enough to get the power module replaced. At the time GK were moving their manufacturing , it took about a year to get the part.

I have a friend that knows these well , and it’s off for repair.

Should return like a brand new amp.

59E77FBE-C2BE-4832-9BFA-2A99F8CDE59E.jpeg

• Like 5