Why become a member? ×

Fodera 2010 price list

CHRISDABASS

[url="http://www.fodera.com/pdf/2010_Fodera_Price_List.pdf"]http://www.fodera.com/pdf/2010_Fodera_Price_List.pdf[/url]

Now i know Fodera are expensive but this is just obscene!!

Scroll down to page two!

They charge $499 for a hand made scratch plate made of plastic????

$750 for a wooden back panel cover???

$999 for a different radius on the fret board???

i wont even start on the $24,000 basses!!

Crikey!!

:)

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='949877' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:07 PM'][url="http://www.fodera.com/pdf/2010_Fodera_Price_List.pdf"]http://www.fodera.com/pdf/2010_Fodera_Price_List.pdf[/url]

They charge $499 for a hand made scratch plate made of plastic????[/quote]

Can somebody who defends Fodera's prices please justify this?

[quote name='Brave Sir Robin' post='949879' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:09 PM']And still people buy them. They must be backordered. Good on them tbh. Make hay while the sun shines.[/quote]
Yep, you're still looking at a two year wait for your $500 pickguard. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simples.

Edited by velvetkevorkian

That's nothing! I'm working on a job that involves a car whose tyres cost $25,000 a set. And there's more....

To actually get the tyres changed, you have to send the car back to France, where they charge you $70,000 for the privilege. The world has gone mad I tell you!

Makes Fodera sound quite reasonable actually :)

Sounds to me like they are trying to deter people from asking for extras that are time consuming to make and distract them from building basses.
Also, they have staff to pay a living wage in an expensive city, and probably expensive rent to pay in a prime Brooklyn location.
This is the real world, not some far east sweat-shop.

[quote name='CHRISDABASS' post='949877' date='Sep 8 2010, 09:07 PM']$999 for a different radius on the fret board???[/quote]
That's the one that got me. I mean, I don't usually care about this sort of stuff. People want to pay those figures for these basses, so Fodera can charge those prices, and that's fine, but... $999 for a different radius? F***'s sake. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='950005' date='Sep 8 2010, 10:19 PM']That's the one that got me. I mean, I don't usually care about this sort of stuff. People want to pay those figures for these basses, so Fodera can charge those prices, and that's fine, but... $999 for a different radius? F***'s sake. :)[/quote]
You missed the one that got me - $499 for a lined fretless. That is, instead of hammering frets in and stoning them all and crowning them etc, you stick slivers of wood in the slots you've already got cut for the frets and sand them down flat. So you pay them $499 for them to do less work.

£20,000 for the Anthony Jackson Model?

Last time i saw one of them it was a single pickup directly wired to a f***ing jack socket, isn't it?

I'll sh*t you a bass made of unicorn tears for £20k, and it'll have a bare minimum volume and tone control.

No doubting they're amazingly well made basses, the NYC Empire 4 is still a reasonable $3000, isn't that similar to AC/Sadowsky/Lull etc?

Edited by AndyTravis

[quote name='Kev' post='949905' date='Sep 8 2010, 01:25 PM']Can somebody who defends Fodera's prices please justify this?[/quote]
I won't defend or justify them but I can understand them. It used to be Alembic with the crazy prices. Now Fodera has the perception of being the best in the mind of those that think you can buy talent. Those are the people you should ask about justifying the price. If someone offered you $500 a week to come and take out your trash you'd be a fool for turning them down.

Outrageous price lists like this create a lot of free advertising and some people just can't break free from the myth that price = quality and the higher the prices go the higher the fans desires go.

As a small business they don't have to worry about selling thousands of basses. They only need a few people and they're getting them. Higher prices creates more desire and they will continue to raise them until they run out of buyers.

At least Fodera does make a very high quality product and are capitalizing on decades of reputation and celebrity endorsement, not like some others that put out mediocre stuff and just price it outrageously hoping to catch a few fresh fish. Ritter for example :)

Fodera has left the world of quality based pricing and has gone into the same kind of dynamic that makes Picasso's go for millions.

Fodera, while being top notch, can be matched in tone and playability by many other builders. But it won't make you the center of attention at Wooten camp the way a rotted chestnut 6 string with extended B headstock will.

I don't mean any of this as a slam on Fodera, they're just cashing in the same way Justin Beiber is. I would do the same thing.