Why become a member? ×

Interesting root-only bass lines

Annoying Twit

Are there any interesting bass lines which are basically rootnote only? "Interesting" in any particular way, though clearly rhythm is probably going to have something to do with it.

I can think of "One of these Days" by Pink Floyd, which I presume fits, but are there others?

I'd appreciate hearing people say why they think the bass line is interesting.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='948164' date='Sep 7 2010, 12:00 PM']Are there any interesting bass lines which are basically rootnote only? "Interesting" in any particular way, though clearly rhythm is probably going to have something to do with it.

I can think of "One of these Days" by Pink Floyd, which I presume fits, but are there others?

I'd appreciate hearing people say why they think the bass line is interesting.[/quote]

Most of Cliff Williams' career has been spent following the root.

Boring?

Nah. Same goes for Alan Lancaster & a fair swedge of Roger Glover.

The rest of the band can rock, but only [i]we[/i] can make it roll.

P.

Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue is a master at this. Sometimes he not only sticks with the root note, he doesn`t even follow the guitar on root notes, staying with the original. For example, Looks That Kill, Mick Mars does G, F#, E, all in bar-chords, the Sixxster stays with a G all the way thru. Very simple, but very effective.

I'd been struggling with root notes. When we wrote a song I'd try and desperately tart up the bass lines all over the shop when the best one is often the root played rhythmically. (I blame Basschatters turning up at gigs)
If it's just the root and it sounds good for that bit of the song I'll go with it now.

[quote name='toneknob' post='948221' date='Sep 7 2010, 01:00 PM']Simple Minds, Waterfront

[/quote]

+1000000, fantastic sound, great bassline. Also +1000000 with the Cliff Williams stuff. Remember kids, just because you can, doesn't mean you should... :)

[quote name='51m0n' post='948188' date='Sep 7 2010, 12:26 PM']Relax - FGTH, just for the sheer bloody mindedness of a one note bassline, and the fact that it somehow makes for a brilliant song...

[/quote]

Apparently the original demo version of the song had much more of slap-type bass line and very busy, but Trevor "Buggles" Horn pared it down to the bare minimum. Proof that less is more I guess.

[quote name='urban Bassman' post='948335' date='Sep 7 2010, 02:42 PM']Apparently the original demo version of the song had much more of slap-type bass line and very busy, but Trevor "Buggles" Horn pared it down to the bare minimum. Proof that less is more I guess.[/quote]

That'll be this then:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhdlEf_4BU0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhdlEf_4BU0[/url]

I think the whole less is more/ restraint argument is a load of old bollocks. It completely depends on what you are playing. Sometimes stuff needs more not less and if you don't play it you are compromising the music. Conversely, if you are shredding over a piece that doesn't need it you are a tosser and ruining the music! obvious i know, but when people say less is more its like a mantra but it don't apply to everything!

Edited by Lord Sausage

I think there are a million examples. I know where Lord Sausage is coming from in the above post but it depends completely on the song & the style.

The song I'd bring to the table is Son Volt's Down to the Wire from American Central Dust. It was one of those lines I loved so much that I decided to work it out only to then be saying "Oh, is that it?" Beautiful song that is bass led