Why become a member? ×

Whats your one bass that you couldn't live without

birdy

My Encore P bass. It was my first bass, and after copious modification plays better than my US Jazz and Status, and sounds bloody magic! The sentimental value would be enough to keep hold of it, but that fact it slays my other basses is an added bonus :)

MB1. :)

Having had a LOT of basses previously, and sworn....." This is the last!".....,i believe, ive settled on my Status Kingbass!.
Nothings as powerful,nothing sounds like one,and nothing competes with one(thats only my opinion,)... and.... id recieve death threats(from my band!) should i ever part with it!. I will definately buy another one!....... eventually! (not a bad endorsement of Mr Greens handywork!). :huh:

Probably this one for lots of reasons - been through a fair bit with this one, it has seen off basses from all corners of the globe and I don't think I have owned another bass for as long as this one!

I have been playing its 5 string sister almost exclusively since I got it though - I think the 5 string is more 'me' at the moment, it is probably even better to play and is a 'better' example of the breed, but there is an undeniable beauty about this scarred and beaten slab which I know the sound of inside out, live and in the studio. It is the bass equivalent of sleeping in your own bed.

Realistically though I would probably be consumed in the fire as I frantically try to save the other two and my amp - and of course my staffie! Doubt she would help me out though, always looking after #1 she is!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='105926' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:47 PM'][i]"My Wal will never go.

I've had it years. I can't say it was my first good bass because there were a few ok ones before it, but it has been with me through thick & thin, it sounds marvellous, and I love it!!

I know I surprised Nik by saying the Wal was semi retired, but that's new toys for you. For some reason I am less worried about harm coming to the SUB5, which is NOT to say that the Wal will be wrapped in cotton wool and put away as a collectors item!! "[/i]

+2

Echoing what both Rich and WalMan have said, mine would have to be my Wal Pro2e.

It is the only bass that I can play without ever having to look at the fretboard to see what my hands are doing.. It's totally instictive I suppose because I've had Wals for almost 25 years now and especially, the old Pro models..

Also, every one of my other basses could be replaced more easily and i think that factor has to come into the equaition if you can only keep one bass. There's less of Wals around and they seem to get more expensive year after year!

Al - perhaps you could say that your Wal is officially 'resting' :)[/quote]

+1 for my Wal Custom - my first 'good' bass that I bought new in 1987. Even though I now have a 1960 Jazz & a fair few other lovely vintage Fenders - I think I might still go for the Wal first.

[quote name='MB1' post='105948' date='Dec 18 2007, 02:27 PM']MB1. :)

Having had a LOT of basses previously, and sworn....." This is the last!".....,i believe, ive settled on my Status Kingbass!.
Nothings as powerful,nothing sounds like one,and nothing competes with one(thats only my opinion,)... and.... id recieve death threats(from my band!) should i ever part with it!. I will definately buy another one!....... eventually! (not a bad endorsement of Mr Greens handywork!). :huh:[/quote]

Haha, settled my a$$!, you're as bad as me, you wait!

If there was a fire...

I'd grab the Travis Bean and run.

Then I'd go back into the ashes and pick up the searing hot remains of this, and get a new neck put on it.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/84144792@N00/2053176381/in/set-72157603263405555/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/84144792@N00/...57603263405555/[/url]

i just got a ken smith jazz with EBS pre-amp - its stunning. when i got it home i shocked myself playing it - i almost fell over the sound was so overwhelming. at first i was terrible at playing it because im used to my other bass (ibanez EDC700) which has a totally different feel.

before i got this bass, i loved my last one so much i promised i would never neglect or sell it - now that i have this new one, its literally been thrown under the bed.

so in answer to the question, i feel i now could not live without my ken smith.

[quote name='obbm' post='106743' date='Dec 19 2007, 09:54 PM']Easy answer. It has to be this one.

It's a Stray 5.[/quote]

Oh my god, that is f***ing sweet - I'd go for a different finish body but I love graphite and i love rays. You have just given me a 5 string to aspire to!

<<<<< My American Walnut Wal Custom Fretless. Have had this one since 1986 and have never moved on. Gigging with it tonight in Bury St. Edmunds (jazz piano trio). Sounds better now than it did 20 years ago (or is that just me?).... The other Status 6-string is a plank with wires in comparison (sorry, OTPJ, I just can't get it to work in a jazz setting).

My Wal makes me sound like me... what more can you ask of a bass?