Why become a member? ×

Whats your one bass that you couldn't live without

birdy

[quote name='ped' post='106006' date='Dec 18 2007, 04:02 PM']Probably this one for lots of reasons - been through a fair bit with this one, it has seen off basses from all corners of the globe and I don't think I have owned another bass for as long as this one!

I have been playing its 5 string sister almost exclusively since I got it though - I think the 5 string is more 'me' at the moment, it is probably even better to play and is a 'better' example of the breed, but there is an undeniable beauty about this scarred and beaten slab which I know the sound of inside out, live and in the studio. It is the bass equivalent of sleeping in your own bed.

Realistically though I would probably be consumed in the fire as I frantically try to save the other two and my amp - and of course my staffie! Doubt she would help me out though, always looking after #1 she is!![/quote]

You like your Vigiers, and I'm glad to see it! There doesn't seem to be many of us about. I own a see through red 1983 or 84 Passion (full carbon graphite neck), serial number 213, which was my main bass for 15 years. The neck is just the best I've had my hands on. It was bought on a friends recommendation after my then #1, an ESP Jazz, was stolen. I absolutely love it and would never consider selling it. The only reason it ain't my #1 now is because the finish has pretty much peeled off and the bridge pickup has packed up. Was told by engineers on many an occasion that it was the best recording bass they'd heard. They really are a much underrated bass. I really have to spend some money on it and return it to former glories. So good on yer for having such good taste!

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='108844' date='Dec 24 2007, 11:07 AM']If you still have any pics I'd love to see them. :)[/quote]

Unfortunately I never took any pics - it was a good 20 years ago when I sold it on, before digital cameras made taking photos such a quick & easy thing to do...

• 10 months later...

Hmmm.

Both my Warmoth basses took a long time to work out what woods, electronics etc to use. They are both perfect basses to me but sound completely different.

They both live next ot each other at home in their cases, I can grab both with one hand - screw you I'm taking both of them.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Hamster' post='336902' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:43 AM']I really love my Lakland 5 string - so fantastic at everything, but I'd grab the Stingray 4 - it just feels/sounds so right. It's my sound.[/quote]

+1 i have a Lakland Jo5 and its just suburb! I get so many tones out of it and with my Gk head, i can set the eq to give it a bit more of an edge. Im not sure i NEED another bass but il still get another one when i have the money :)

[quote name='the_house123' post='336909' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:51 AM']+1 i have a Lakland Jo5 and its just suburb! I get so many tones out of it and with my Gk head, i can set the eq to give it a bit more of an edge. Im not sure i NEED another bass but il still get another one when i have the money :)[/quote]

I think I played a Lakland JO4 at the SE BassBash. Very very good. In fact I'll stick my neck out and say that IMHO Lakland make the most versatile 'off the shelf' basses that money can buy.

I think id have to agree on that Hamster, i didn't know much about Lakland until earlier this year. In fact i didn't know Lakland even existed till earlier this year and now id take one over a Fender ANY day. I have a 1975 Fender jazz and that just doesn't even compare in the slightest. looks cool but no where near the same league TBH.

Edited by the_house123

[quote name='the_house123' post='336909' date='Nov 26 2008, 01:51 AM']+1 i have a Lakland Jo5 and its just suburb! I get so many tones out of it and with my Gk head, i can set the eq to give it a bit more of an edge. Im not sure i NEED another bass but il still get another one when i have the money :)[/quote]

So you're Lakland JO is just outside the City eh? I get no tones outside my own head, nevermind a Gk one. Have more money dude.

Whilst my most vital bass is my Spector Euro LX5-EX, it [u]is[/u] replaceable. However, if I had to take only one with me from my hyperthetically blazing house. it would be my 25 year old fretless Jazz Bass, that I got from Richard Sinclair (Caravan/Hatfield & The North/Camel) ... irreplaceable. :wub:

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' post='109348' date='Dec 25 2007, 11:34 PM']You like your Vigiers, and I'm glad to see it! There doesn't seem to be many of us about. I own a see through red 1983 or 84 Passion (full carbon graphite neck), serial number 213, which was my main bass for 15 years. The neck is just the best I've had my hands on. It was bought on a friends recommendation after my then #1, an ESP Jazz, was stolen. I absolutely love it and would never consider selling it. The only reason it ain't my #1 now is because the finish has pretty much peeled off and the bridge pickup has packed up. Was told by engineers on many an occasion that it was the best recording bass they'd heard. They really are a much underrated bass. I really have to spend some money on it and return it to former glories. So good on yer for having such good taste![/quote]

Thanks mate! I really love the look of your bass. The series 2 graphite necks are just perfect for me, too. I haven't tried anything that feels nicer, and I think they are the best graphite basses out there. Interesting to hear how engineers like the sound - my experience is the same. I guess the sound is individual whilst being absolutely even, crisp and clear. Now I have fitted a V-bass to my twig I can access a number of 'standard' sounds like a P and J plus millions of fantastic stereo synths etc. making it just streets ahead of the competition!

I also have a fretless which I love but play a bit less than the fretted at the moment, but sometimes it is all I play for weeks. Very nice to have a pair!

Cheers - and get some big pics of yours up. I know I am always asking, but I love em'

Take it eazy
ped

It would have to be my Sandberg Bullet II Special. Whatever amp I plug it into it always sounds amazing and the action on it is damn good whatever strings I use. Its done me proud at many gigs over the last few years!

I should really take better care of it and clean it more than once a year haha