Why become a member? ×

Whats your one bass that you couldn't live without

birdy

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='106987' date='Dec 20 2007, 11:45 AM']<<<<< My American Walnut Wal Custom Fretless. Have had this one since 1986 and have never moved on. Gigging with it tonight in Bury St. Edmunds (jazz piano trio). Sounds better now than it did 20 years ago (or is that just me?).... The other Status 6-string is a plank with wires in comparison (sorry, OTPJ, I just can't get it to work in a jazz setting).

My Wal makes me sound like me... what more can you ask of a bass?[/quote]
His!
In the meantime, I’ll settle for my ’73 fretless P

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='108283' date='Dec 22 2007, 06:37 PM']Easy. The only bass I have.
[attachment=4285:marathon.jpg][/quote]
That is so cool! It reminds me a bit of my Wal... I must admit to having always wanted a Shergold but never got around to it but I may have to change that now :)

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='108394' date='Dec 23 2007, 02:05 AM']That is so cool! It reminds me a bit of my Wal... I must admit to having always wanted a Shergold but never got around to it but I may have to change that now :)[/quote]
I used to have a couple of Shergolds & the fitted flight case I had made for it fitted my Wal perfectly!!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='108394' date='Dec 23 2007, 02:05 AM']That is so cool! It reminds me a bit of my Wal... I must admit to having always wanted a Shergold but never got around to it but I may have to change that now :)[/quote]
They do look similar but a good Wal is just so much better in terms of sound, flexibility and construction. Then there is the small matter of re-sale value! With a fair bit of tinkering it is possible to get some great sounds and playability from a Marathon. It would be interesting to compare at a Basschat bash sometime.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='108565' date='Dec 23 2007, 02:42 PM']They do look similar but a good Wal is just so much better in terms of sound, flexibility and construction. Then there is the small matter of re-sale value! With a fair bit of tinkering it is possible to get some great sounds and playability from a Marathon. It would be interesting to compare at a Basschat bash sometime.[/quote]
Hopefully, there's going to be a Basschat gathering in 2008, so maybe we can make that happen? They're both quirky 70s British basses, which personally, I've always liked.. See you then and have a good Xmas in the meantime!

[quote name='birdy' post='105682' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:04 AM']The topic on how many basses do we own collectively and seeing some people with a lot got me thinking as to if you had to choose ONE only to keep out of your current crop which would it be and why?

Imagine all your basses are in your house/flat and a fire is ravaging through it. All humans and pets are safe and as you escape yourself you can save any ONE of your basses. Which would it be and why? Would you save the most valuable, a sentimental one perhaps?

I'll start - I would without doubt save my Sadowsky Metro. I have two other more expensive basses but the Sadowsky gets the job done all the time whether recording or gigging with no hassle and is a joy to play.

Steve[/quote]

That's a toughie, cos like most I like em all for different reasons, but would probably have to plump for my Fender Jazz Bass V Deluxe (black with maple fingerboard) cos it is just so comfortable to play, sounds great and looks so cool that I had to buy it as soon as I saw it hanging up on the shop wall, even though I was only browsing! And if not that then, though I would have to start a new thread entiltled "Which stolen bass do you miss the most?" I would have to say my all time true love was an ESP Jazz with EMG's on it, stolen from a club in Blackpool about 13 years ago. Still upsets me when I see photos and hope the bastard who knicked it either appreciates what he got or has contracted cancer by now. Scum.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='108283' date='Dec 22 2007, 06:37 PM']Easy. The only bass I have.
[attachment=4285:marathon.jpg][/quote]

Cool bass...!
I had the 6 string version for a while (fretless as well).

Edited by 99ster

It doesn't even sound as good as my others but it would have to be my 'F' hole Warwick. I walked into a shop in Newcastle and a guy had this in strung BEAD and was apparently whinging because he really wanted a 5 string! I made some calls, sourced a good 5 from Dave Wilson who was working for Overwater at the time and did a swap... 15 years later she's still here.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='108592' date='Dec 23 2007, 04:10 PM']Hopefully, there's going to be a Basschat gathering in 2008, so maybe we can make that happen? They're both quirky 70s British basses, which personally, I've always liked.. See you then and have a good Xmas in the meantime![/quote]
Cheers, silver. Have a good one yourself. Here's to quirky basses! :)