Why become a member? ×

Whats your one bass that you couldn't live without

birdy

The topic on how many basses do we own collectively and seeing some people with a lot got me thinking as to if you had to choose ONE only to keep out of your current crop which would it be and why?

Imagine all your basses are in your house/flat and a fire is ravaging through it. All humans and pets are safe and as you escape yourself you can save any ONE of your basses. Which would it be and why? Would you save the most valuable, a sentimental one perhaps?

I'll start - I would without doubt save my Sadowsky Metro. I have two other more expensive basses but the Sadowsky gets the job done all the time whether recording or gigging with no hassle and is a joy to play.

Steve

see im attached to my status shark as it was my first bass, but i would choose my '57 RI P over it as i play it way more.... but then i dont feel as attatched to the P, its more like a tool to use. Like a good chisel.
So i would probably save many other things before any bass.

having said that i would probably just grab the p and run

Warmoth P, because I built it.

my Hohner B2A isn't really worth anything either (pretty chewed up now), but there are so many mods/quirks of my choice on both basses that it would be a pain to recreate them.

Edited by SJA

My Wal will never go.

I've had it years. I can't say it was my first good bass because there were a few ok ones before it, but it has been with me through thick & thin, it sounds marvellous, and I love it!!

I know I surprised Nik by saying the Wal was semi retired, but that's new toys for you. For some reason I am less worried about harm coming to the SUB5, which is NOT to say that the Wal will be wrapped in cotton wool and put away as a collectors item!!

My Shuker 6 - it was born (I picked it up) on 20th August 2003 and it is the instrument I have played the most. Even if it doesn't get touched for weeks on end and I wonder if I'll ever use it in anger again, I just pick it up and it just reaffirms how much I like it. Still wish it was 4 lbs ligther though!

I can't answer this. The prospect of losing them all but one fills me with morbid dread. I would be chucking as many of them out of the window as I could in their cases and hoping the cases could absorb the impact. And don't even get me thinking about how I'd deal with the valve amps...

[quote name='WalMan' post='105838' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:39 AM']My Wal will never go. I've had it years. I can't say it was my first good bass because there were a few ok ones before it, but it has been with me through thick & thin, it sounds marvellous, and I love it!![/quote]
+10000 to that. My Wal Pro 2E is pretty much semi-retired too, but if I could only rescue one bass it'd be that one, no question. Mine [i]was[/i] my first good bass, I've had it for 21 years now and couldn't bear to part with it.
Obviously I'd love to be able to rescue two basses so I could take my Shuker too... :)

At the moment, probably my old Tokai. Does everything I need from a bass, & seems to cover all bases :)
Though I'd be gutted at losing my old Ibanez. Had it for about 15 years, much sentimental value, & it used to belong to Happy Mondays. So it has a bit of rock'n'roll history.

There again, in the heat of the moment, that could change.

That reminds me I need to renew the insurance soon!

[quote name='Rich' post='105893' date='Dec 18 2007, 01:09 PM']+10000 to that. My Wal Pro 2E is pretty much semi-retired too, but if I could only rescue one bass it'd be that one, no question. Mine [i]was[/i] my first good bass, I've had it for 21 years now and couldn't bear to part with it.
Obviously I'd love to be able to rescue two basses so I could take my Shuker too... :)[/quote]

[i]"My Wal will never go.

I've had it years. I can't say it was my first good bass because there were a few ok ones before it, but it has been with me through thick & thin, it sounds marvellous, and I love it!!

I know I surprised Nik by saying the Wal was semi retired, but that's new toys for you. For some reason I am less worried about harm coming to the SUB5, which is NOT to say that the Wal will be wrapped in cotton wool and put away as a collectors item!! "[/i]

+2

Echoing what both Rich and WalMan have said, mine would have to be my Wal Pro2e.

It is the only bass that I can play without ever having to look at the fretboard to see what my hands are doing.. It's totally instictive I suppose because I've had Wals for almost 25 years now and especially, the old Pro models..

Also, every one of my other basses could be replaced more easily and i think that factor has to come into the equaition if you can only keep one bass. There's less of Wals around and they seem to get more expensive year after year!

Al - perhaps you could say that your Wal is officially 'resting' :huh: