Why become a member? ×

Bassists that sound like guitarists playing bass

Annoying Twit

There are more than you think. A large number of players, who are clearly highly skilled, sound like failed classical guitarists to me. You know the ones. They think Paul McCartney can't play but sound like a bad imitation of Julian Bream with his hands tied behind his back.

[quote name='stevie' post='931039' date='Aug 20 2010, 03:35 PM']There are more than you think. A large number of players, who are clearly highly skilled, sound like failed classical guitarists to me. You know the ones. They think Paul McCartney can't play but sound like a bad imitation of Julian Bream with his hands tied behind his back.[/quote]

+ 1

The guy fronting the jam at The Spice Of Life in the West End on Tuesday is like that.

He's a multi-instrumentalist, playing guitar + bass + drums, but his approach to all three instruments is the same.

[size=5][b]LOOK AT ME! ME!! ME!!![/b][/size]

Doesn't matter what else is happening on stage, who else is (supposed to be) soloing, what sort of song is being played. It's just incessant widdling and fills and fast runs and ... oh, you get the picture.

I'm sure that he's technically very clever, but musically he's a complete dickhead.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' post='931035' date='Aug 20 2010, 03:32 PM']not very well known outside hardcore punk circles, but this guys runs are so mental that i'm guessing he must have been a guitarist before playing bass.

[/quote]

Man this is good tech bass though. That kind of punk always sounds good with a mentally fast bassline and standard guitar parts. :)

I think some aspects of my playing are guitar orientated. I play chords, strum, finger pick 'acoustic guitar' type patterns, tap and play harmony parts for guitar solos. That on top of all the more Bass related techniques on my 6 & 7 string Basses. I make a point of mentioning that, as I have those extra strings there for that reason. So I can make use of other techniques.

As with any technique or style - I choose to use it to enhance a song - not to waste time on some ego-boost mission. They are all legitimate techniques and should not just be limited to one instrument. Hell, if I thought it would sound good I'd have a cowbell strapped to my bass! he he! (ok.. I was jokin'... no more cowbell)

[quote name='dood' post='931116' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:44 PM']I think some aspects of my playing are guitar orientated. I play chords, strum, finger pick 'acoustic guitar' type patterns, tap and play harmony parts for guitar solos. That on top of all the more Bass related techniques on my 6 & 7 string Basses. I make a point of mentioning that, as I have those extra strings there for that reason. So I can make use of other techniques.

As with any technique or style - [b]I choose to use it to enhance a song [/b]- not to waste time on some ego-boost mission. They are all legitimate techniques and should not just be limited to one instrument. Hell, if I thought it would sound good I'd have a cowbell strapped to my bass! he he! (ok.. I was jokin'... no more cowbell)[/quote]
That's the key there, anything is valid, even cowbells :) , if it fits or enhances.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='931072' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:11 PM']Man this is good tech bass though. That kind of punk always sounds good with a mentally fast bassline and standard guitar parts. :)[/quote]
yeh, in this situation it works well.

also his 'tone' (i hate that word) does cut through nicely. aggressive music like that benefits from that kind of zaniness. in any other type of music it would be difficult to imagine it working.

[quote name='dood' post='931116' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:44 PM']I think some aspects of my playing are guitar orientated. I play chords, strum, finger pick 'acoustic guitar' type patterns, tap and play harmony parts for guitar solos. That on top of all the more Bass related techniques on my 6 & 7 string Basses. I make a point of mentioning that, as I have those extra strings there for that reason. So I can make use of other techniques.

As with any technique or style - I choose to use it to enhance a song - not to waste time on some ego-boost mission. They are all legitimate techniques and should not just be limited to one instrument. Hell, if I thought it would sound good I'd have a cowbell strapped to my bass! he he! (ok.. I was jokin'... no more cowbell)[/quote]

+1

As with any technique or style - I choose to use it to enhance a song - not to waste time on some ego-boost mission. They are all legitimate techniques and should not just be limited to one instrument. Hell, if I thought it would sound good I'd have a cowbell strapped to my bass! he he! (ok.. I was jokin'... no more cowbell)[/quote]

+2

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='931054' date='Aug 20 2010, 03:50 PM']The guy fronting the jam at The Spice Of Life in the West End on Tuesday is like that.

He's a multi-instrumentalist, playing guitar + bass + drums, but his approach to all three instruments is the same.

[size=5][b]LOOK AT ME! ME!! ME!!![/b][/size]

Doesn't matter what else is happening on stage, who else is (supposed to be) soloing, what sort of song is being played. It's just incessant widdling and fills and fast runs and ... oh, you get the picture.

I'm sure that he's technically very clever, but musically he's a complete dickhead.[/quote]

"Yeah man, that's great. But what's your story? What are you saying?" - Lester Young

I just really don't like distorted lead bass solos. I've never forgiven Steve Lawson for dropping one into one of his tracks on Grace and Gratitude. It's a beautifully atmospheric track (forget the name) then his lobs in this horrendous fizzy bass solo like someone firing up a chainsaw in the middle of Barbers Adagio for Strings, and it's not played very well either. [i]Awful[/i].

Lead bass can be good in the right place, but even when some of my favourite players like Adam Nitti or Stevie Williams do it, I'm not keen. I like the bass to groove within a song, while the guitarist or keyboard player takes the lead glory.

Stu Hamm for instance, I [i]love[/i] his playing within a band, but I hate that tapping thing he does.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='931019' date='Aug 20 2010, 03:16 PM']I've heard this comment a lot, but haven't really got my head around what it means. Obviously I can spot it in extreme cases such as this:

(youtube vid)

But are there examples of well known songs where the bassist is not just a guitarist playing bass, but really sounds like one too?[/quote]

Never mind THAT, i'm more worried about...

[quote name='Musicman20' post='931070' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:10 PM']I hate good guitarist who try to play the bass like a guitar thinking they are better than a 'mere bassist'. Cannot stand it...no feel, or rhythm.[/quote]

Had one of those at the Jam in Aldershot last Monday. House band guitarist monopolised the bass for quite a while when there were real bass players waiting to have a play, but that's probably another thread.

Edited by obbm

[quote name='dood' post='931116' date='Aug 20 2010, 04:44 PM']As with any technique or style - I choose to use it to enhance a song - not to waste time on some ego-boost mission. They are all legitimate techniques and should not just be limited to one instrument. Hell, if I thought it would sound good I'd have a cowbell strapped to my bass! he he! (ok.. I was jokin'... no more cowbell)[/quote]

I agree, write stuff that sounds good! :) Its an instrument thats got strings on it - why do we need to get caught up in band roles all the time?

[quote name='Golchen' post='932488' date='Aug 22 2010, 09:06 AM']Here we go again. A 'bassists are superior' thread because we play the instrument the right way and everyone else is wrong. usual narrow minded stuff if you ask me.[/quote]

If it were just bitching, then you might be right. But when there are examples posted naming songs etc., then that becomes more useful. Saying that "X is bad" by itself is useless, but saying that "X is bad and here's an example of why that is" is much more useful, as it allows readers to make up their own minds. Personally there has been a number of examples of playing here that I personally have not enjoyed. So, at the moment, I'm certainly believing that there is something to this "bassist who plays like a guitarist" thing.

It seems that on this forum, there is a hesitation to post anything that's "negative". Personally I find that I learn from seeing bad examples, as well as seeing good examples of playing.

I don't think people are saying that "bass guitarists are better" as a kneejerk reaction. Some time ago I started a thread discussing Steve Winwood's bass playing, which I enjoyed, even though SW is not primarily a bassist. Comment on that thread was pretty much all positive. It wouldn't be surprising that those who spend years or decades studying bass have acquired skills that those who just pick up the instrument and apply skills learnt elsewhere. If they could, then that would say something about bass guitar education!