Why become a member? ×

Octave

E sharp

Hi all , sort of OK now with the fuzz , and now looking for a bitchin octave pedal .

Obviously Boss OC2 and EBS are favourites , but has anyone tried out the MXR new one , or the Aguilar new one . These look more in depth on the surface . What do you guys / gals use , and your reasons , ie anyone AB'd them .

If there's a link to a previous thread , then let me know .

Cheers , Paul .

I use both the EBS Octabass(original style) and a Boss OC2.
The Boss one is great as it can get very 'synthy' and can go down two octaves(I've not tried the OC3 so can't comment on it),whereas the EBS has a smoother sound. As an octaver,I think that the EBS is the cleaner,better pedal but I actually use the Boss more because of it's 'synthy' qualities.
I tried out the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and it was really nice. I didn't think it was as smooth as the EBS though,it seemed to have a bit more grit.
They are all good pedals though.

The OC3 is ok, it just feels a bit lacking in natural warmth. If you think of the kind of effects you get for recordin softwares its like that. But because of that it has the options to nail quite a lot of stuff and mixes well in a live situation.

But i feel cheating in using it and if i was to buy one i would either go for the OC2 or the aguilar which has lots of thickness and warmth to it which suits msot basses much better. Trouble is both of these are rather pricey

I got the Boss OC-3 about 3 weeks ago in a trade deal with a BCer and I tried it out alongside my brother's EBS Octabass, the result: The OC-3 was alot more gritty sounding but gave very clear octaves up to the A fret on the E (from there it started to break up a bit).
I tried the Aguilar Octamizer as well and I think it has a bit more edge over the other octave pedals I've used and it likes nicer as well! :)

Long time user and lover of the Boss OC-3 here, great digital pedal. If you want an analogue sound, go for the OC-2, can't get a better synthy octaver really, especially for the price. If you want something clean and precise, go for the OC-3, has a really good distortion circuit built in too. The MXR BOD and the Aguiler Octamizer have a fair deal more control and seem to be able to produce every different octave sound under the sun, but they are both far more pricey and are also analogue like the OC-2.

I bought this Yamaha OC-01 on fleaBay for absolute peanuts a while back. It is utterly brilliant, probably the best tracking of any octaver I've had and a great smooth sound.
The Korg OCT-1 is identical in every way except name.

EDIT: there's one [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200508536393"]here[/url], it's already going for more than I paid for mine..!

I was a firm advocate of the OC-2 until I bought an Octamizer. The Aguilar unit is capable of the synthy sounds, as well as more natural sounds, all the way down to pure sub rumble - It's awesome. I never used the 2nd octave on my OC-2, so the Octamizer was a logical step forward, as it then gave me control over the tone of the octave note, and the tone of my clean signal. Infinitely more variable, and takes up less space on the board too. True Bypass and a Blue LED sealed the deal for me :)

While I like the simplicity of the OC-2 and love the sound it produces, it sounds best when I have the tone knob on my guitar turned up but tracks best when I have the tone knob turned down. So I always have to compromise somehow.

That said I haven't tried another octaver that sounds as interesting to my ears. Tip if you're ever recording it: DI. We tried a bunch of different mics and cabs and settled on a combo which sounded great with my basses and other effects but we ended up using just the DI signal for the OC-2 sound.

i own an oc2, dod octoplus, ebs octabass, MXR bod.
They all have their own foibles and features.
the oc 2 doesn't often come out, as i find the tracking a little iffy, but equally love the sound
octoplus - my go to octave for ages, the only one i found with a tone control for the odctave ( others use switches for setting the range of the octaved note), great warm sound, set well, it will track really well.
EBS - really clean sound, can get synthy using the switching options, but i found it too clean for my current needs. I'm sure it will return for other projects. it terms of sound, think Earth Song by michael Jackson
MXR - Love this pedal. Has the gritty sound of the oc2 available as the Growl control, and seemingly cleaner option with the girth knob. it's great to mix these two distinct voices together to create anything from subtle thickening to almighty God like walls of massive. Size wise it's awesome (although similar size to the ebs). Has a mid boost switch which really helps in a band mix too

I've also spent time with the EHX octave multiplexer. Sound great sounds to be discovered here. well priced, has a great vintage-y vibe to it. well worth the relatively meagre asking price IMO.
As always try before you buy
hope all this lot helps

Edited by dudewheresmybass

[quote name='dudewheresmybass' post='931551' date='Aug 21 2010, 12:28 AM']EBS - really clean sound, can get synthy using the switching options, but i found it too clean for my current needs. I'm sure it will return for other projects. it terms of sound, think Earth Song by michael Jackson[/quote]

Although Alex Al used the EBS Octabass on the live version of 'Earth Song' from 'This Is It', the original album version
was Guy Pratt with a Boss OC2.
:)

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently looking for an Octave Pedal .. just borrowed an EHX Octave Multi and the depth is really nice. very warm full sound that had my band mates smiling.

however, I must admit that I am liking the sound of the EHX Micro Pog at the moment! I would love for one to pop up on sale on BC soon! :)

[quote name='Doddy' post='931564' date='Aug 21 2010, 12:39 AM']Although Alex Al used the EBS Octabass on the live version of 'Earth Song' from 'This Is It', the original album version
was Guy Pratt with a Boss OC2.
:rolleyes:[/quote]

Most of his tones on that concert featured an octaver pedal, but I guess there is very little real bass on MJ's tracks anyway.

But having heard that concert stuff I want a Moog synth :)

I personally use the Foxrox Octron 2 because I like the switching options, the tone is superb and the tracking is great.

I've also enjoyed the Boss OC-2 and the Dod Octoplus, the Dod is a real sleeper pedals.

The Digitech BSW does an amazingly fast tracking octaver if you're after a more digital synthetic sound.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='pete.young' post='952515' date='Sep 11 2010, 10:00 AM']+1 to that, I had one which tracked at least as well as my EBS, though it sounded ... different.[/quote]

I have a Digitech SynthWah and I quite like the octave effect, although as far as octave pedals go, it's pretty limited. Great pedal, overall, 'though.

Because I wanted something more, I just bought a Boss OC3 and the more recent MXR 288, so I can compare them side by side... we'll see.

[quote name='mcnach' post='962330' date='Sep 20 2010, 04:02 PM']I have a Digitech SynthWah and I quite like the octave effect, although as far as octave pedals go, it's pretty limited. Great pedal, overall, 'though.

Because I wanted something more, I just bought a Boss OC3 and the more recent MXR 288, so I can compare them side by side... we'll see.[/quote]

I own the BSW and the OC-3 and have tried out the MXR. I think you'll find you might prefer the MXR, although I'm a strong supporter of the OC-3. Although I barely use it, the drive function is quite nice. It's just a good, precise digital pedal, much more control than the BSW. Tbh though, bang for buck, it's hard to beat the BSW!

[quote name='EskimoBassist' post='962462' date='Sep 20 2010, 05:39 PM']I own the BSW and the OC-3 and have tried out the MXR. I think you'll find you might prefer the MXR, although I'm a strong supporter of the OC-3. Although I barely use it, the drive function is quite nice. It's just a good, precise digital pedal, much more control than the BSW. Tbh though, bang for buck, it's hard to beat the BSW![/quote]

I'll report back what I prefer (and the non-winner will be up for grabs :))

I agree, the BSW is a great pedal. It does a lot of crazy yet useful sounds... and have you tried it with guitar? I love it! In fact I had the guitar version too and sold it because I prefer the bass one on guitar!

[quote name='billphreets' post='963218' date='Sep 21 2010, 12:38 PM']can i chime in here and proclaim my love for the fat analog sound of the OC-2 without causing another backlash like i unwittingly did in the envelope filter thread ???[/quote]

Thats asking a lot! :-)

In fairness, I have to agree though. I do use my MarkBass Super Synth for much of my Octave duties, but the OC2 still gets a look in and to be honest I still think its the best all round octave pedal (as long as you want a 'Synth' style sound).