Why become a member? ×

Sacked

Mykesbass

So, in a rock & roll/country/blues band for 6 gigs, couple a bit flat because of lack of audience but most of them went down a storm. Get a call today, oh, we're not meeting tonight we (the keys, guitar and drums) want to meet as we don't think it's quite working out (I'd brought in the new singer as well). There was talk that the rest of them may call it a day or it may carry on as before. Anyway, finally got out of the first guy that it was over for me, but they are keeping "my" singer :) . Finally spoke to the drummer who I knew would talk straight, and he told me that the original 3 couldn't get on with my "feel".

Two questions remain unanswered - 1, Why not discuss "my feel" at a gig or practice and work on it instead of b.s.ing how great it's all going? 2, Why not come out with "You're fired" in the first place instead of all that waffle of meeting up to discuss why it isn't working etc? We are all in our 40's to 60's after all :rolleyes:

Rant over!

[quote name='Chris2112' post='928988' date='Aug 18 2010, 07:53 PM']There might be more to it than just feel. I think it's a shame though that these guys couldn't be up front and honest - that is always how I try and do business. Don't let it get you down though, up and at 'em with a new gig![/quote]

I agree. I'd really hope that if *I* wasn't 'performing' as expected, then someone would at least tell me! To be gutless and come up with a crap excuse like splitting up a band is beyond woeful! If your singer was *your* mate to start with and he's turned upon you in the same manner, then I would say he sucks as a friend too.

I managed to get out of an awful band today, all i had to do was tell them cant stand playing music for 13 year old boys in black hoodies. Anyway the drummer is a good freind of mine, hence why i joined and he rang me to say the guitarist was saying that im not right and how they need to look for a new bass player. When the drummer told me i had a grin from ear to ear! Now i just need to help get the drummer out and we can let terrible punk/powerpop die out :)

Its a shame because we all started out because we were in the same lessons and we got on really well, but sometimes the conflict in taste can be too much.

I got caught up on the other end with a band that knew there bassist was working late and was not coming to rehersal,They asked me to pop over and fill in for the night (I already knew they wanted me in and they kinda knew that I knew!)as they had a big gig coming up and needed to practice.All was well until the bassist being a hard working band member decided even though he had worked late that he would drop in for the last hour of practice as he knew how important to the band it was! OOOooops awkward moment.....Turned out alright in the end and he had no problem (quite rightly)with me and I later sold him my Peavey TNT 115 combo which he still uses with his latest band.

Dust yourself off and start a new band, We recently reformed with a guy off a band member website and there was lots of people up for the job so I dont think you will be out of action to long,Time for a new musical style while your at it?

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='dood' post='928993' date='Aug 18 2010, 07:59 PM']I agree. I'd really hope that if *I* wasn't 'performing' as expected, then someone would at least tell me! To be gutless and come up with a crap excuse like splitting up a band is beyond woeful! If your singer was *your* mate to start with and he's turned upon you in the same manner, then I would say he sucks as a friend too.[/quote]

She was really p1ssed off but they are a good, very busy band and I told her not to do anything rash on my behalf.

I completely agree with the "why didn't you say something" comment - I know I wasn't that bad!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='928999' date='Aug 18 2010, 08:06 PM']Time for a new musical style while your at it?[/quote]

Funny, I hate listening to Country, but was really enjoying making a good job of the root, five stuff. Yes, I guess I could live without too much more rock & roll.

Move on man... Don't worry about it. I got the sack from a band when they landed quite a considerable support slot with a notable band on their big comeback tour. They decided they wanted to get their friend back in (who had quit the band and led to me being auditioned to join) incase they hit the big time. They played the gigs, nobody cared, nobody has heard from them since.

Edited by EBS_freak

I was 'sacked' from a band years ago because the singer and I never really got along. In reality I shagged is girlfriend and he found out.

Anyway, the point is that band member rapport is the single most important ingredient in any band's chance of sticking together.

[quote name='Lysdexia' post='929089' date='Aug 18 2010, 09:19 PM']I was 'sacked' from a band years ago because the singer and I never really got along. In reality I shagged is girlfriend and he found out.

Anyway, the point is that band member rapport is the single most important ingredient in any band's chance of sticking together.[/quote]

That just reads "MISSION COMPLETE" to me :)

I guess it is called letting you down lightly.

They said it wasn't working and they wanted to talk about a few things amongst themselves.

Just let it go..the alternative would probably have been, we have made up our mind..or someone has, and we don't want to work with you anymore..and then you have to sit through them justifying or pulling your playing apart..or whatever reason they came up with.

And if they had done it that way...your/their singer would probably not been able to stay.

So, in reality, breaking up and forming up again is probably the lesser of all evls, I guess.

When we reformed a unit from 12 yrs ago, ( well, 3 of us ) ... and we tried to limp on in a jamming and totally unsatisfactory form for more than a while, we got a new drummer and gtr, changed the name and the entire set, all bar 2-3 songs.. and still the old drummer thinks we have done him wrong...!!

What can you do..???

Must be something in the air today or the moon is in Capricorn. Just back from the most godawful band practice in which the drummer and I had a blazing row with the guitarist/frontman about his control freak tendencies and inability to listen to his bandmate's opinions. We were within a Rizla of splitting up until we all calmed down ... watch this space though :)

Some years ago I joined a local soul band. We had a few practices and it was ok. Strange bunch of people, especially the keyboard player. The practices easied off after a while. One day I saw an add in the paper for a bass player and recognised the number of the singer. I phoned up and got her answer phone. I left a message for her and got one by return. She deliberatly left her message when I was at work so she didn't have to talk to me. She grovelled a bit and said they didn't think my feel was right for them!

I was miffed to say the least, but soon moved on, hope you do too.

[quote name='mep' post='929124' date='Aug 18 2010, 09:44 PM']Some years ago I joined a local soul band. We had a few practices and it was ok. Strange bunch of people, especially the keyboard player. The practices easied off after a while. One day I saw an add in the paper for a bass player and recognised the number of the singer. I phoned up and got her answer phone. I left a message for her and got one by return. She deliberatly left her message when I was at work so she didn't have to talk to me. She grovelled a bit and said they didn't think my feel was right for them!

I was miffed to say the least, but soon moved on, hope you do too.[/quote]
I got sacked from a mates "project" - they`re far too sophisticated to call it a band - however I was told it was nothing to do with my bass playing. In reality, it was cos I was far too astute to "invest" £6000 in a rehearsal studio for the "project"!

Many other "project" members have also been sacked over the years - the same can be said of them, all too astute to "invest" - whereas the dumb ones who coughed up are still going to be millionaires this time next year (Only Fools & Horses ref).

I was also told at a later point by the project leader that his guys are musicians, and that my current band are only entertainers. We can play abt 70 songs, they can`t play one from start to finish, as there are only singer/rhythm guitarist, and drummer.

In some cases, you`re better off being sacked - I know I was/still am.

[quote name='Clarky' post='929109' date='Aug 18 2010, 09:32 PM']Must be something in the air today or the moon is in Capricorn.[/quote]

You're right! Just back from a rather good practice with our rapidly enlarging lead singer who will be doing her last gig in early October before 'pupping' in November. Quite reasonably she's taking time off and we had auditioned a couple of singers for maternity cover, chosen one and done several rehearsals. All very enthusiastic. Tonight comes the bombshell that she feels she's taken too much on and won't be able to start with us until December at the earliest!

Was this a personal email of apology to us all, or an honest face-to-face? No, she sent a message with our keyboard player who works in the same office. :)

We restart our search for a dep tomorrow...

You seem to be taking it well! try and take a professional approach, a mate of mine is a sought after session guitarist and has played for some big names. When I last met him he just reeled off a very long list of people he'd been sacked from. It happens all the time and you will find someone else to play for.

We're all bass players here and we all know how in demand bass players are!

They sound like a bunch of gimps anyways, except the singer.

Dan

Yep, just move on. The band I recently joined was like that. They gave me the impression that their current bass player (who had been with them some time) was voluntarily leaving due to personal reasons. So I went to see them at a gig to get a feel of the band and it was obvious the bass player didn't even know he was on his way out at that stage! When it's my turn I fully expect that they will tell me the band is folding, get someone else in and carry on again. For adults, most musicians can be a ridiculosly childish and spineless lot.

Friendship and a 'bond' IMO is one of the single most important features needed in a band, more so with an originals band.

Ive found all the bands Ive tried recently didnt work out for both myself AND the band. Why? Totally different backgrounds, totally different people.

My current originals band is slow going, (despite the fact we are all technically great together) but the friendship keeps it fun. We still havent found the 'right' singer, and we continue to look on as a core three.

The bonding thing depends on the band, IME.

After years of turning up on some gigs and never having met the guys before, or most of them, then you have to be open to a lot of characters.
Of course, if you don't get on, you might not get invited back, even if you click musically. That works both ways though as players who can't stay amiable wouldn't stay in the food chain anyway, for long.

Now, I pretty much cherry-picked who I wanted in this current band but we don't entertain deps on this one..so we all get on to a decent degree. We aren't all that close, but the guys have put the time in and know what it takes to make things work.
We aren't that serious about playing every gig..we pick those too, but the first thing we agreed on when first talking about the idea, was direction, music, and pretty high up that list was how many dates per month.

For most of us this is the main band, and only a few dep here and there and that is sorted by using a diary well enough.
What also helps is not having people wanting to earn too much money out of it...or having the same goals there.

The basic criteria for gigs is, is it a nice one to do..? money is secondary, although the drummer bucks this more than most, but upto now, we have had very few clashes of dates.

As long as you can keep it on the ground and everyone understand everyone elses priorities in life, then you stand a chance.

What was so surprising was there didn't seem to be any bad vibes, we all had a good laugh together and the gigs seemed to be going really well. Just wish thgey had discussed any problem with me and given me a chance to put what ever was wrong right.

Still, over it now and have suddenly been really spurred on to develop my day job. Not giving up but will put it on the back burner for now.

Juggling the different demands and needs of 4/5 people is a nightmare, not to mention massaging the various egos involved. Most of us aren't very good at straight talking, especially when we know someone probably won't want to hear what we are going to say. Not only that but people's priorities change, which can affect the direction a band takes. Communication and teamwork are not everybody's strong point either. Particularly drummers I find!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='929040' date='Aug 18 2010, 08:28 PM']Move on man... Don't worry about it. I got the sack from a band when they landed quite a considerable support slot with a notable band on their big comeback tour. They decided they wanted to get their friend back in (who had quit the band and led to me being auditioned to join) incase they hit the big time. [b]They played the gigs, nobody cared, nobody has heard from them since[/b].[/quote]
I believe this is what they call 'poetic justice' :)

I've been sacked twice to date. First time.. one line email , "we're trying another bass player, thanks". Second time... one line email, "it's not gelling, the drummer can't play with you. Sorry!".

Gutless scumbags. I'm not bitter.

On the other hand I have sacked someone in another band. I was cr*pping myself, but I phoned him up told him he was out and there was no discussion about it but explained to him exactly why. He might not have been happy but at least I was honest.