Why become a member? ×

MM Roasted Necks

martthebass

For me, the problem isn't BP's (Big Penis?) attitude, although as a PR exercise, it'd be in the "What not to do" category, but the fact that he still hasn't (to my knowledge), substantiated his claims about the advertised benefits of the technique. Someone gave him the perfect opportunity to do so; not only did he refuse outright but others there accused the poster of accusing BP of lying. Deluded sheep, thaloddathum.

[quote name='martthebass' post='924373' date='Aug 13 2010, 08:57 PM']the poor guy who very politely questioned the credibility of the claims made regarding the stability etc of the roasted necks saying that unless the claims could be backed up or substantiated in some way then the claims fell into the category of marketing.[/quote]
No matter how eloquently, reasonably or diplomatically he put this - which he did - it was inevitable he'd get no support & be torn a new one. Corporate forums such as the EBMM board don't exist for any reason other than as marketing tools.

This was a lesson I learned very rapidly when I signed up to the official RIC board (not RR, they're nice, reasonable folks by comparison!) a few years ago, to ask a very reasonable and non-inflammatory (or so I imagined) queston about RickenFakers. My post was deleted, I was permanently banned and I subsequently received what amounted to little more than personal abuse and insults by email from the delightful Mr Hall.

Similarly, everything I've ever read about, or on the EBMM forum indicates it's nothing but a den of narrow-minded sycophants and has absolutely zero value as a musicians' resource.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='925843' date='Aug 15 2010, 09:02 PM']No matter how eloquently, reasonably or diplomatically he put this - which he did - it was inevitable he'd get no support & be torn a new one. Corporate forums such as the EBMM board don't exist for any reason other than as marketing tools.[/quote]

Which it does a questionable job of doing - for every forum zealot there must be someone like me who's totally put off by the attitude of the director, reasoning that it'd likely percolate down so that any issue with my instrument would be by default 'my fault' and their customer support would be terrible. Not saying it is, but that the forum makes me very wary. Also I don't like buying things from people who act like dicks. Too many people are quick to attribute sales success to particular facets of a company strategy, but it could just as easily be that MM do well despite, not because of, those rather idiotic and unfriendly antics. Ultimately it's because the Stingray was/is a pretty decent bass with a unique sound.

The whole aftermarket thing doesn't wash as an argument anyway - it doesn't compete with new sales because you start with an already-purchased MM bass! I guess compared to a lot of crazy American cults, at least it's a fairly harmless one.

Edited by LawrenceH

If I were Sterling Ball, I'd only ever post something positive in a "News" section of the board. Stuff like;

New product releases
Endorsee news
Charity work
Factory news
Employee (or sycophant) of the month

I'd leave "brand defence" to my legion of fanboys, and have a tech-guru to answer those questions of a technical nature, and I'd emerge smelling of roses.

I just wanted to say that on the Status forum, the product is nearly always so perfect that we sit around making music tracks in which we call eachother pricks! :)

One prominent member received a KingBass Retroglide which had a slight mis-shape to the graphite weave in the neck. Rob Green was mortified and made him a whole new bass!

Yes, Sterling Ball can be a bit sharp at times, but as others have mentioned, it's a corporate forum at the end of the day, so it's mainly there for the big fan boys who buy a lot of basses.

Weather it's a corporate forum or not, it's still open to the public. He's alienianating his own customers.

I only hope his legion of fanboys all end up with problems on there own basses/guitars and still get told where to go no matter how much ring licking they have done to him.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='926161' date='Aug 16 2010, 09:18 AM']If I were Sterling Ball, I'd only ever post something positive in a "News" section of the board. Stuff like;

New product releases
Endorsee news
Charity work
Factory news
Employee (or sycophant) of the month

I'd leave "brand defence" to my legion of fanboys, and have a tech-guru to answer those questions of a technical nature, and I'd emerge smelling of roses.[/quote]

+1

:)

[quote name='Johnston' post='926341' date='Aug 16 2010, 12:21 PM']As someone who doesn't own any EB items but would love a Big Al if I ever got the money together. It makes you wonder what would happen if you ordered a bass and something just wasn't right.

If that attitude works it's whole way down the line would you just get bummed off with we built it we done the QC we sent it therefore there is nothing wrong??[/quote]

I have to disagree there, in a way we are blessed by the fact that UK Distributors, Strings & Things have a stellar record regarding customer support, just ask Musicman20 to nane one, the blokes that work there like Pete Lunney & Co. would bend backward to assist you with any issue with courtesy and effectivness. And they are not the company owners but the sole UK distributors.

So on that issue you wouldn't have to worry as you won't have to deal with EBMM Usa for any warranty matters.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='926347' date='Aug 16 2010, 12:27 PM']I have to disagree there, in a way we are blessed by the fact that UK Distributors, Strings & Things have a stellar record regarding customer support, just ask Musicman20 to nane one, the blokes that work there like Pete Lunney & Co. would bend backward to assist you with any issue with courtesy and effectivness. And they are not the company owners but the sole UK distributors.

So on that issue you wouldn't have to worry as you won't have to deal with EBMM Usa for any warranty matters.[/quote]

+1

My Classic (oh how I still want one) was sorted VERY quickly. They were extremely shocked it had passed QC and immediately contacted EB.

Ive since seen a few with the same issue, but Ive seen more without it. Possibly this is just a teething problem.

[quote name='Johnston' post='926341' date='Aug 16 2010, 12:21 PM']As someone who doesn't own any EB items but would love a Big Al if I ever got the money together. It makes you wonder what would happen if you ordered a bass and something just wasn't right.[/quote]

That reminded me of a thread on talkbass from a few years back. Most of it was removed but it's still an eye-watering read.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245614"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245614[/url]

And then there's the shockwave on kiss-arse central... seriously, get a cup of tea and a comfortable seat for this

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/14847-response-customer-service-thread-tb.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...-thread-tb.html[/url]

If you ever have an issue the lesson here is don't tell anyone or else!!! :)

I only got as far as this:

[quote]Brian you are a forum member and surely know that you can have direct contact with me seven days a week via the forum. I find it kind of unfair that you would hang us on talk bass given the amount of time our team invests here.[/quote]

F*cks sake, if he'd have posted his issues on the forum he'd have been crucified and told, like so many other people, that he should not be raising issues like this in public on the forum but that he should contact customer support directly.

Thankfully, not all company forums (fora?) are full of arselickers and thought-police. The Eden one is very good.

[quote name='RayFW' post='924821' date='Aug 14 2010, 12:40 PM']For a "light the blue touchpaper" moment, try posting that your Ray has lower output from the G string.
:)[/quote]
:rolleyes:
Or better yet:
"My 'Ray used to have a lower output from the G string. But I fitted a Status neck and SD pickup and Bartolini eq and Gotoh bridge, and now it's great. I encourage everybody with the same problem to do likewise."

I'm surprised I'm getting so vexed about this.

Although I'm registering (not to be an arse I just want some info on dates and bridges) I saw this upon doing so.

"Although the administrators and moderators of Ernie Ball Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Ernie Ball Forums, nor Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws."

Yeeeerrrrrr right.....

I've just read through both threads - you really do have to see how all the exchanges go, right up to Sterling Bollock's IBTL [i]coup de grace[/i]! :)

That DudePit guy at one point claims he knows both Ball & John Hall personally, and claims "John Hall's no Sterling Ball". He's quite right - Hall might be arrogant, hostile & condescending, but Ball is simply a complete and utter c@nt.

Incredible.

J.

[quote name='paul h' post='926830' date='Aug 16 2010, 07:51 PM']If I wasn't so skint I would buy www.sterlingballsack.com and point it to that forum.[/quote]

There are probably some web bods here who can get that for a couple of quid!

SB does come across as a total prick!