Why become a member? ×

MM Roasted Necks

martthebass

Sorry I've not tacked this into the existing thread regarding the new (very pretty) MM roasted neck 'specials' but I'm old and couldn't find it. Anyhow I was just dwelling in the underworld that is the EBMM forum and came across this:

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/45716-roasted-maple-necks-12.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...e-necks-12.html[/url]

Felt really sorry for the poor guy who very politely questioned the credibility of the claims made regarding the stability etc of the roasted necks saying that unless the claims could be backed up or substantiated in some way then the claims fell into the category of marketing. The poor guy was lambasted by Big Pillock himself and accused of calling him a liar yadda yadda yadda.

I guess this is no surprise to any of us that have frequented that forum but it just goes to show how some people can treat customers (this poor guy had stated he had been a customer since 1984 - I suppose that might not be the case for much longer).

I wouldn't expect the same treatment from the likes of Rob Green, Chris May or John Shuker if I posed a question (even if it was dumb).

Well I will probably always own an MM, and will probably buy another one but that is despite Sterling Ball rather than because of him. Then again maybe it's time to sell the 30th and buy a pre-EB out of spite.

Rant over........

No small creatures were harmed during the making of this missive.

Edited by martthebass

Horrible forum.

God forbid that there's something wrong with your bass or sh*t, feel like changing the pickup! :)

edit: I would add that I really like the look of the Roasted range :rolleyes: Not sure about the claims of better sound e.t.c though

Edited by Waldo

[quote name='Waldo' post='924445' date='Aug 13 2010, 10:18 PM']I know it's the forum for a specific brand and as such it would be expected that there is some bias. But that place just takes sycophancy to a whole new dimension.[/quote]

It is, indeed, a weird place.
There's great people there too, but they have to be careful.

I was interested about a replacement preamp for my Stingray and I posted a question. Nicely. Politely. The thread was closed at once by BP himself, although I have to make clear that there were no bad words towards me. However, a kind soul sent me a PM seeing that I was a newbie there to warn me about the type of responses I might attract in that forum. Further research showed me he was right and I had been lucky.

Weird place.

I'll go there for a specific question, and run back out again. Not nice. Pity, because they make great basses.

It was more 'open' before BP started posting on it, people would still moan if you dared suggest changing your pre-amp but you would actually get some advice from the more sensible people.

Now it's just everyone falling over each other to tongue BP's rectum, whilst he sits there being unpleasant to anyone who doesn't wish to do so :)

wow, makes here seem amazing, even in the off topic! Kinda puts me off a mm, i know when I bought my first bass, a status that had been in the shop for 5 years, I rang up knowing nout about basses and got talked through fixing a wonky pick up by one of the guys who had made it.
That is how you keep customers- would always consider a status- even though i know i dont want one!

I recon ou7shined should go over their with his Pingray and tell them it's the better than a real Stingray.

My god those people are freakish. May just go on and show them the final product of my next project (modded to the hilt SUB) to see what kind of response I get.

Who is 'BP' ? What's a roasted neck? (ill look into that thread some more) and why are those guys so up tight?

Edit: ok I know the answers now.

Man sterling is a dick.... Now I have a valid reason to dislike the sterling basses. Maybe he should spend more time building basses he didn't design than posting on a forum to be a dick to anyone with questions. "lay of the land" and that crap. I'm sorry, what? Just cause your fat ass made a lesser stingray I can't ask a question involving anything about your products not being 100%.
Grade A Nob.....rant over.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='martthebass' post='924373' date='Aug 13 2010, 08:57 PM']Sorry I've not tacked this into the existing thread regarding the new (very pretty) MM roasted neck 'specials' but I'm old and couldn't find it. Anyhow I was just dwelling in the underworld that is the EBMM forum and came across this:

[url="http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/45716-roasted-maple-necks-12.html"]http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-...e-necks-12.html[/url]

Felt really sorry for the poor guy who very politely questioned the credibility of the claims made regarding the stability etc of the roasted necks saying that unless the claims could be backed up or substantiated in some way then the claims fell into the category of marketing. The poor guy was lambasted by Big Pillock himself and accused of calling him a liar yadda yadda yadda.

I guess this is no surprise to any of us that have frequented that forum but it just goes to show how some people can treat customers (this poor guy had stated he had been a customer since 1984 - I suppose that might not be the case for much longer).

I wouldn't expect the same treatment from the likes of Rob Green, Chris May or John Shuker if I posed a question (even if it was dumb).

Well I will probably always own an MM, and will probably buy another one but that is despite Sterling Ball rather than because of him. Then again maybe it's time to sell the 30th and buy a pre-EB out of spite.

Rant over........

No small creatures were harmed during the making of this missive.[/quote]

You should also have a look a John Hall's comments when he chimes in on RIC forums! I'd never buy a new Rick again on the grounds of them!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='924594' date='Aug 14 2010, 01:42 AM']I had a massive fall out with BP a few years ago.[/quote]

+1

... and I don't think I've posted there since. I argued that they were missing a trick by not using the Forum to gauge genuine customer feedback but unfortunately the management has an attitude of "don't confuse us with the facts our minds are made up". I suggested that they should try and understand why their customers would want to modify their basses. Went down like the proverbial lead balloon. Also I am still the owner of a heavily modded SR5 - the ultimate sin.

Last year I was seriously considering a Sterling 5 but in the end decided to place my order with ACG for a truly custom bass which I know will be a better instrument.

Edited by obbm

Roasted neck? They've been doing flamed forumites for years over there!
I own a 'Ray 5. Nice bass, but the way they behave on the EBMM forum can be pretty over-zealous at times.

As mentioned before, some companies have their priorities right;

=1 Customer Service
=1 Making great instruments
3 Rectifying problems with people's basses
4 Giving open and honest advice on repairs and modifications
5 Protecting their brand image / company reputation by actually realizing that 1 to 4 (above) promote this aspect.

Good examples of the above I have received;

Patrice Vigier mailed me back within 24 hrs telling me how to carry out elecrics mods to the pre-amp in my Passion bass.
Rob Green said "Ok, it'll cost more because I'll have to wind the coils differently so the outputs can be tapped" No problem. Even though it's not on the options list.
The tech at Dana B. Goods (US) Warwick distributor mailed me back after 15min with a lengthy reply about a pre-amp/pick-up query.

In each case, no fuss, no aggro. We are the end users of companies' products, and if the original manufacturers can't or won't help us, we'll just have to go elsewhere.

Imagine the response if I wanted a Sterling 4HH with Series/Parallel/Singlecoil switching for both pick-ups and the 4band EQ from a Bongo?!
EBMM possess the ability to make such an instrument. Most of us would pay a good deal more for a "tailored" (if not custom) bass.
They're doing themselves out of potential sale AND repeat customers with their attitude (except they're made by Yamaha)

I have noticed it is a VERY defensive forum. I spoke up about a neck problem, and no one dared say anything.

Dont get me wrong, its one of the companies I trust to buy brand new and unplayed from. They know how to 'finish' a bass thats produced in large quantities.

S&T here in the UK who deal with EBMM are nice chaps and pleasant to deal with.

Roasted Neck? Quite like the whole 'look', but I dont like the sparkly black colour that comes with it.

[quote name='merello' post='924624' date='Aug 14 2010, 07:04 AM']Reads like the Church of the Latter Day Bassists.[/quote]

+1
It does feel quite 'cultish', with BP coming across almost David Koresh-like at times.
Thankfully I'm P-Bass guy! :)

Edited by nick

Music man has become all about making money by the looks of things. Theres nothing special about the newer ones at all. I vote kill the sterling, bongo, big Al, the whole range of guitars, the 3 eq ray, the piezo pickup and everything else they make apart from the 2EQ ray, stick the flamed maple neck and the mutes back on it and just be happy with that.

I'm surprised that they haven't issued a Fatwa on Rob Green for making replacement Graphite necks and imposed sanctions against East, Bartolini, MEC, Seymour Duncan, et al for having the temerity to manufacture electronics/pick-ups...

BTW, If I made Wah pedals, I would most certainly name one of mine "FatWah" and maybe "AutoFatWah" :)