Why become a member? ×

MM Roasted Necks

martthebass

Fortunately, I don't like the sound of MM's anyway so I won't be buying one.

Sterling Ball's last comment was akin to that of a naughty 13 year old before putting the phone down on whoever, not the whatever he is (MD?) of a company. Also, if he's so high up, what the hell is he doing making so many posts on an internet forum?

To be quite honest, tho, the posting of the original thread was a curious one. You have a problem, you get on the phone to the people who can do something about it.

The subsequent responses blew it all out of proportion.

This thread is getting as bad as the linked threads. :)

[quote name='paul h' post='926830' date='Aug 16 2010, 07:51 PM']If I wasn't so skint I would buy www.sterlingballsack.com and point it to that forum.[/quote]

Go for it, anyway!

...going to read both those links now. Coffee on!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='charic' post='927147' date='Aug 17 2010, 07:14 AM']I reckon someone should link this thread to that one so he can have a read :rolleyes:[/quote]

In one sense, a good idea; Sterling might read it and take some of the feedback to heart. :lol:
In another, I'm not sure that an influx of aggrieved and aggressive new "members" fresh from the EBMM board would be quite as welcome... :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='927208' date='Aug 17 2010, 09:13 AM']In one sense, a good idea; Sterling might read it and take some of the feedback to heart. :rolleyes:
In another, I'm not sure that an influx of aggrieved and aggressive new "members" fresh from the EBMM board would be quite as welcome... :)[/quote]

Considering that this one includes the same type of "feedback" that was in the TB thread. I'm fairly certain he will still think of himself as a higher being and that we are lowly communers.

I finally got round to reading the three linked threads today.

The first one was, I thought, pretty trivial. Somewhat obnoxious company proprietor, but the worst people posting on there were the EBMM fanbois.

On to the second, and a description of poor customer service by one owner who puts in many caveats about knowing that EBMM generally give good customer service and specifying which bits were bad, and also saying what EBMM were doing to make it right and that he was happy with that. I don't see a problem with that, a motorcycle list that I'm on regularly has reports on good or bad service from parts or services suppliers and no-one gets hot under the collar about them. I assume from what has been said that the fanbois piled on and largely got deleted when the thread was closed.

The third one was ridiculous. Obnoxious proprietor starts it, fanbois pile in, the original complainant (whose name gets misspelt all over the shop despite being rather obvious in his username) makes a long, reasoned, and reasonable post explaining why he posted to TB, what his issues are, how he doesn't think EBMM are generally bad at customer service, and what EBMM are doing to resolve it. Then it all seems to start gently evaporating until the obnoxious proprietor piles in with an extremely unpleasant final post that lays into the original complainant.

Is being a Stingray owner the equivalent of being a BMW/Audi driver?

Bad form, SB comes out of this with a soiled disposition, only thing I'm worried about is I am a Stingray owner and BMW driver. I'll have to keep a low profile and use my bass to indicate where possible.
The fried, sorry, baked necks look lovely but I'm not sure they do all they claim. reminds me of the cosmetics industry where certain magical attributes are given to certain products, there may be some scientific truth behind the marketing (there has to be as legal costs can be astronomical) but it may take 3 hundredweight of extract [i]x[/i] before any significant improvement can be achieved in practice.

Wanna hear a theory?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that figuring in wood causes the figured areas to retain mositure more readily than the normal "grained" areas. Sorry. Can't remember the source.
That's why you don't get heavily figured maple necks very much, as humidity variations cause all sorts of unwanted swellings :)
I suppose my ideal wooden (all-maple, one piece) neck would have a ruler-straight grain from body-end to headstock. Maybe a little very light flame running perpendicular to the grain, but no Bird'sn Eye or Quilt.
These sort of demanding requirements in a piece of maple command high prices.
Now suppose that [i]someone[/i] comes up with a process that can wholly dry out all the (nice looking) irregularities and then seal it to stop further moisture ingress, thus overcoming the mis-shapen neck problem.
It allows me to manufacture equally (or maybe more) stable necks with figured woods and a stain (or sealing agent) that looks attractive to prospective customers.
It may also allow me to source [i]cheaper[/i] timber to offset the cost of processing.

Call me cynical, but it's a possibility...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='927761' date='Aug 17 2010, 05:16 PM']Wanna hear a theory?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that figuring in wood causes the figured areas to retain mositure more readily than the normal "grained" areas. Sorry. Can't remember the source.
That's why you don't get heavily figured maple necks very much, as humidity variations cause all sorts of unwanted swellings :)
I suppose my ideal wooden (all-maple, one piece) neck would have a ruler-straight grain from body-end to headstock. Maybe a little very light flame running perpendicular to the grain, but no Bird'sn Eye or Quilt.
These sort of demanding requirements in a piece of maple command high prices.
Now suppose that [i]someone[/i] comes up with a process that can wholly dry out all the (nice looking) irregularities and then seal it to stop further moisture ingress, thus overcoming the mis-shapen neck problem.
It allows me to manufacture equally (or maybe more) stable necks with figured woods and a stain (or sealing agent) that looks attractive to prospective customers.
It may also allow me to source [i]cheaper[/i] timber to offset the cost of processing.

Call me cynical, but it's a possibility...[/quote]
Joined the EB forum and posted in defence of Jim....cant wait for the abuse

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='927698' date='Aug 17 2010, 04:09 PM']Bad form, SB comes out of this with a soiled disposition, only thing I'm worried about is I am a Stingray owner and BMW driver. I'll have to keep a low profile and use my bass to indicate where possible.
The fried, sorry, baked necks look lovely but I'm not sure they do all they claim. reminds me of the cosmetics industry where certain magical attributes are given to certain products, there may be some scientific truth behind the marketing (there has to be as legal costs can be astronomical) but it may take 3 hundredweight of extract [i]x[/i] before any significant improvement can be achieved in practice.[/quote]
Kiln Dried timber will always be sh*te compared to aged and air dried no matter how its dressed up....all mass produced products simply are a compromise where next best will do

[quote name='tino' post='927836' date='Aug 17 2010, 06:34 PM']Joined the EB forum and posted in defence of Jim....cant wait for the abuse[/quote]
Kiln dried timber will take on atmospheric moisure from the moment it is released from the kiln...
Kiln dried is cheap & is probably the material sourced for 95% of all guitar necks.
A decent hand built aged and airdried is pretty hit & miss but once the right blank is found & a good luthier you will have a wonderful treat in store...

EBMM/FENDER/GIBSON etc etc etc none go to the lengths to do this its NOT commercially viable....

Roasting appears to be as it suggests cooking to remove further moisture and possibly colour .....it will not do any more....the gloss is just that a later tart up jobbie...

So in essence its kilndried and polished,which brings us back to what just about every bloody neck is anyway