Why become a member? ×

Stevie Wonder At Glastonbury

Pete Academy

[quote name='Bilbo' post='879467' date='Jun 28 2010, 07:29 AM']I saw it and found it disappointing. I agree that the tv speaker thing didn't help and whoever mixed it for tv needs a talking to but I found the whole thing steeped in nostalgia and very little else. 6/10[/quote]

Not that I agree with you Bilbo but when did nostalgia neccessarily become a bad thing?

I loved it,despite the odd 'moment'.

Nate appeared to be using a couple of Hartke LH amps, with Hartke Hydrive 1x15 and 4x10 cabs.
He played keys on a few including Superstition (which had Stevie on keys on the original.)

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='879362' date='Jun 27 2010, 11:31 PM']Why oh why oh why oh why oh why aren't Rush headlining?
:)
:rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

Not exactly a well known band in the UK, mate .. Maybe at Canada Rocks ...

I can't really see thousands of festival goers standing in a field singing along to Rush's hit, somehow...

Could have done without the "little Stevie" caberet malarkey

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='879333' date='Jun 27 2010, 10:53 PM']Anyone agree? A bit embarrassing.[/quote]

Im glad someone else posted this. i was going to post last night but thought i would get flamed. I know yourve now retracted the above post but ill continue with my thoughts.

I thought the band were over playing. All great musicians of course, but to my ears it just didn't gel (and no, i cant do better ;-)

Not a huge Stevie fan but i expected better. I would also have preferred less musicians on stage. Big bands like this leave me cold.

Funny someone should mention Rush as i turned Stevie off after about 20mins and watched some of the Snakes and Arrows BD. Much more satisfying.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='vmaxblues' post='879554' date='Jun 28 2010, 09:22 AM']How can anyone call Stevie Wonder and The Eagles 'total s**t'? wow[/quote]
Quite. I'm not particularly a fan of either but it's clearly ridiculous to call such huge and successful artists sh*t.

Edited by flyfisher

I really liked it, apart from the lying on the floor episode.

FWIW, Nigel Tufnel needed someone to pick him up when he tried that. Stevie did pretty well, all things considered...

Weird.. I watched it on my little telly with crappy on-board speakers, and the bass was as clear as a bell...?

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='879362' date='Jun 27 2010, 11:31 PM']Why oh why oh why oh why oh why aren't Rush headlining?
:)
:rolleyes: :lol:[/quote]

Speaking as a Rush worshipper, I can think of a million reasons why Rush aren't headlining. :lol:

I haven't seen Stevie Wonder yet but I always look forward to his set and you'd be pissed if he didn't play his back catalogue, for sure.

I have a decent TV sound system so the mix is the mix. I was appalled at the drum sounds for the Muse gig though, but was for another thread.

I always think the MD'ing on the Wonder gig is a bit loose, but then so is most of the production on the records as well...I assume that is the way they want it.
I'll go out of my way to catch it..

[quote name='Musicman20' post='879355' date='Jun 27 2010, 11:24 PM']On superstition it appears Nate took his bass off to play keys! It was really noticeable.[/quote]

That's because Superstition has a keyboard bass, played by SW originally. Also, its in Eb, but then I think there's enough Eb in SWs set to make Nate detune his bass by a semi-tone, as I understand.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='879792' date='Jun 28 2010, 12:56 PM']That's because Superstition has a keyboard bass, played by SW originally. Also, its in Eb, but then I think there's enough Eb in SWs set to make Nate detune his bass by a semi-tone, as I understand.[/quote]

Fans of the original Superstition might like this: [url="http://homerecording.about.com/od/mixingyourmusic/a/mixing_superstition.htm"]http://homerecording.about.com/od/mixingyo...uperstition.htm[/url] - a track-by-track breakdown of the recording.

Nate played the song on bass guitar at the O2 a couple of years ago. I thought it was a refreshing change to see him on keyb bass for a few songs. Plus he gets a sit down - it was a hot day.

I think I fit in with most on Stevie Wonder, ie admire the musicians and the performances but can cringe a bit. I really like a lot of the songs but I Just Called makes me whince. I wouldn't have missed it, I love watching him and aspire to that elite level but I don't believe I have any of his records.

For those that don't know it, its worth Googling the story of Nate's involvement with Stevie, great story. One of my heroes.

[quote name='4 Strings' post='879792' date='Jun 28 2010, 12:56 PM']That's because Superstition has a keyboard bass, played by SW originally. Also, its in Eb, but then I think there's enough Eb in SWs set to make Nate detune his bass by a semi-tone, as I understand.[/quote]

Nate Watts had been dropping his tuning a semi tone forever-plus he plays a five string anyway,so that's not really an issue.
He was playing synth bass a few tunes.

I loved his performance that got aired on BBCi player last year, so was really looking forward to this, but like others i found it to be a little cringey, and Stevie's voice was not on form IMO. Turned off after Higher Ground (i had work in the morning, which was a factor in that descision mind)

[quote name='casapete' post='879525' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:50 AM']I loved it,despite the odd 'moment'.

Nate appeared to be using a couple of Hartke LH amps, with Hartke Hydrive 1x15 and 4x10 cabs.
He played keys on a few including Superstition (which had Stevie on keys on the original.)[/quote]

This is correct... I had stage access at Hyde Park and the above is what he was running.

His tone was clear and full and could easily be heard :)

[quote name='Musicman20' post='879365' date='Jun 27 2010, 10:37 PM']What rig is Nate using?

GW in the other thread said the bass is a Sadowsky.[/quote]

havent seen mentioned show, but nowadays Nate ussually plays Alleva (looks similar to Sad. of what you thought) powered by Hartke amps.
and it's so unbeliaveable seeing people comments like "it was s...." "nothing special" and so on... shame!
Stevie is a rare genius, from the early days till today.

[quote name='dr1' post='879850' date='Jun 28 2010, 01:32 PM']havent seen mentioned show, but nowadays Nate ussually plays Alleva (looks similar to Sad. of what you thought) powered by Hartke amps.[/quote]

Although last night he was using a Bossa and not an Aleva Coppola,which he seems to do quite alot.

I thought it was a great show. Who cares if the band overplayed or there were a few cringe worthy moments here and there. This was the last big gig of a huge festival and Stevie and the band got it right - he and the band made it a party atmosphere for all the crowd, that ended the festival on a very high note. Some of you chaps are far too judgemental! :)

[quote name='Hutton' post='879520' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:48 AM']Not that I agree with you Bilbo but when did nostalgia neccessarily become a bad thing?[/quote]
Well, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

[quote name='Doddy' post='879855' date='Jun 28 2010, 12:36 PM']Although last night he was using a Bossa and not an Aleva Coppola,which he seems to do quite alot.[/quote]

yup, he plays those too. another "high end jazzoids"

[quote name='discreet' post='879840' date='Jun 28 2010, 01:27 PM']Does this mean LHs are the bargain of the century? Or do they only sound like that when Nate plays through 'em? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Oh dear, it really must be in the fingers :)

He did a similar set at his birthday bash, but imo it had much more intensity and life that this gig. Maybe even SW isn't immune to having some days better than others.

It was odd when he stopped a song in the middle. The band didn't quite settle down after that i thought. Or is that my imagination.

The TV mix was awful.