Why become a member? ×

Stevie Wonder At Glastonbury

Pete Academy

[quote name='4 Strings' post='879803' date='Jun 28 2010, 01:07 PM']I really like a lot of the songs but I Just Called makes me whince.[/quote]

Sure. At Hyde Park we got one verse and one chorus and the ending (cha cha cha). I'm happy to put up with that in exchange for Living for the City, Higher Ground, Superstition, I Wish, Another Star, Sir Duke, Master Blaster, We Can Work It Out, Uptight, For Once In My Life, Fingertips, Signed Sealed Delivered...

[quote name='discreet' post='879840' date='Jun 28 2010, 01:27 PM']Does this mean LHs are the bargain of the century? Or do they only sound like that when Nate plays through 'em? :)[/quote]

They are the bargains on the century! Because their chinese made im guessing. But yh awsum amps i just wish they did a 250 watt one because 500 is melting me room when i practice.

[quote name='Doddy' post='879855' date='Jun 28 2010, 01:36 PM']Although last night he was using a Bossa and not an Aleva Coppola,which he seems to do quite alot.[/quote]

yhp its the bossa, havnt seen the alleva in ages which is a shame because its gorgeous! Dont know what the fretless he has was though :S

[quote name='casapete' post='879525' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:50 AM']I loved it,despite the odd 'moment'.

Nate appeared to be using a couple of Hartke LH amps, with Hartke Hydrive 1x15 and 4x10 cabs.
He played keys on a few including Superstition (which had Stevie on keys on the original.)[/quote]

I wonder whether Nate cares about the 'dont mix drivers' the speaker gurus talk about. I doubt it...probably because if it sounds good it sounds good.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='880265' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:20 PM']I wonder whether Nate cares about the 'dont mix drivers' the speaker gurus talk about. I doubt it...probably because if it sounds good it sounds good.[/quote]

Players like Nathan Watts have been in the game long enough to realise that although good gear matters, it's whatever needs the least maintenance on the road and what sounds adequate to get along with! People with his level of credibility don't need to deal with guys on online forums claiming to be experts on drivers, whereas given half the chance all those 'speaker experts' would probably jump at the chance to be Stevie Wonder's bass player and MD.

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='880295' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:40 PM']Players like Nathan Watts have been in the game long enough to realise that although good gear matters, it's whatever needs the least maintenance on the road and what sounds adequate to get along with! People with his level of credibility don't need to deal with guys on online forums claiming to be experts on drivers, whereas given half the chance all those 'speaker experts' would probably jump at the chance to be Stevie Wonder's bass player and MD.[/quote]

+1.

Personally, I thought Stevie was fantastic. The guy is a true musical legend, and hearing him playing live is a true privilege. As for the sound, after the first couple of songs the bass was clear as a bell on my TV mix (apart from when Nate switched to keyboard bass, then the bass sound dropped out).

The guy played a great set for a festival closing slot - just hearing the audience singing along with so many classic tracks supports his choices.

I'm not a big Stevie Wonder fan and (having just checked) don't have a a single track of his on my iTunes but I knew almost every song he played. I enjoyed the performance much more than I expected. A pretty spot-on way to end the festival.

[quote name='blackmn90' post='880133' date='Jun 28 2010, 06:13 PM']yhp its the bossa, havnt seen the alleva in ages which is a shame because its gorgeous! Dont know what the fretless he has was though :S[/quote]

I believe the fretless was a Japanese-made 'Crews Maniac'....

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='880295' date='Jun 28 2010, 08:40 PM']Players like Nathan Watts have been in the game long enough to realise that although good gear matters, it's whatever needs the least maintenance on the road and what sounds adequate to get along with! People with his level of credibility don't need to deal with guys on online forums claiming to be experts on drivers, whereas given half the chance all those 'speaker experts' would probably jump at the chance to be Stevie Wonder's bass player and MD.[/quote]

+2

I just got to the stage in time to see Stevie on his back going wild with a keytar! Pretty good set really, more suited to a festival than when I saw him at MEN (last year I think) - which was also a great gig. Sound wasn't excellent but good times were had. I Just Called was the highlight for me!