Why become a member? ×

Replacement Pickup Foam for P-Bass

discreet

Sorry if this has been covered previously, but I need to replace old perished foam under my 76 P-bass pickups.

I know you can buy foam specifically for the purpose:

[url="https://www.kleinpickups.com/p-223-p-bass-pickup-foam.aspx"]P-Bass Pickup Foam[/url]

But what I want to know is, can you use any old foam, or what?

Or can you use something else; springs, rubber, etc? Are there 'originality' issues? What are you guys using? Thanks!

Some foams will last longer than others. Personally I'd try medical grade silicon rubber tubing if you can get it: either in small diameter around the PU retaining screws or a fat piece under the middle of the PU. It should offer the high damping efficiency of foam together with a very long lifespan.

• Like 1

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='828931' date='May 5 2010, 08:30 PM']Many get good mileage from cutting up old-ish mouse mats. You can put a double layer in too if you need a bit of height.[/quote]

Works really well.

• Like 1

[quote name='discreet' post='829490' date='May 6 2010, 12:12 PM']Thanks for the advice guys, looks like a mouse mat would be the cheapest and easiest option.
Plus, one mouse mat would last a lifetime - at least - IMO :)[/quote]
+1 to mousemat
I used a doubled-up pieces of mouse mat in my fretless build - works well.

• Like 1

If you've got the foam right then you don't need the springs. The foam should spring back as you loosen the screw.

I had the same problem when I set up [b]Geo-bass[/b]'s Aerodyne.

Here you can see the compressed foam under the pickups and the new, lighter foam which went underneath. I'd repaired a Dano guitar who's pickups weren't adjustable at all and kept the extra foam handy. Just look for foam with a good bounce to it. If it's too heavy it compresses over time and that's what'd happened in this case.

I just went along the cleaning products aisle in Tesco and picked out some sponges which looked liked they'd work.

Edited by 7string

• 13 years later...

Hola!

I appreciate that this thread could still be correct, but it’s also quite old - like the P bass I just inherited (a 78/9 but from someone who doesn’t play, not passed)!

I’ve not taken it to bits yet but it’s exhibiting the same ‘symptoms’ - the pickups can be lifted when the screws are raised but they don’t stay up. The bass has been stored in a wardrobe for like 20 years so I’m guessing the foam has perished (if it was fitted with foam?).

As this is now (arguably) a vintage bass I’d like to sort it in a sympathetic way so….

…..is there a way to fix this that wasn’t around in 2010 or do I just do what’s suggested above?

Any help gratefully received.

21 minutes ago, Wombat said:

As this is now (arguably) a vintage bass I’d like to sort it in a sympathetic way so….

…..is there a way to fix this that wasn’t around in 2010 or do I just do what’s suggested above?

A 78 would have foam under the pickups which has possibly started to perish or has  hardened over time, I’d just replace the foam , there’s quite a few places that stock it, good luck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wombat said:

Hola!

I appreciate that this thread could still be correct, but it’s also quite old - like the P bass I just inherited (a 78/9 but from someone who doesn’t play, not passed)!

I’ve not taken it to bits yet but it’s exhibiting the same ‘symptoms’ - the pickups can be lifted when the screws are raised but they don’t stay up. The bass has been stored in a wardrobe for like 20 years so I’m guessing the foam has perished (if it was fitted with foam?).

Any help gratefully received.

I don’t think mousemat foam is hugely different from what went before. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 28/12/2023 at 21:26, ossyrocks said:

Alegree pickups do some good ones, I’ve got them in a couple of basses.

https://www.alegree.co.uk/products/precision-bass-height-foam

Rob

I use these in all my P basses, the embedded springs in the form means that they never ever sag, they are by far the best I've used, and for £4 for two, well worth the money.

• Like 3

On 29/12/2023 at 10:49, Baloney Balderdash said:

If you at some point bought any EMG pickups and still have the packaging they came with the foam inside, cut to size, works absolutely perfect as pickup foam. 

Fender also. 

As well as lollar.

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/03/2024 at 13:02, thebrig said:

I use these in all my P basses, the embedded springs in the form means that they never ever sag, they are by far the best I've used, and for £4 for two, well worth the money.

I need to get some foam for my p bass. Dies one strip fit the length of each pickup?