Why become a member? ×

Single Cutaways. Why?

thack

[quote name='endorka' post='791550' date='Mar 31 2010, 09:16 AM']For some reason this really works in terms of aesthetic balance for me, whereas many of the other singlecuts do not. I think it is because there is a general slope of the whole instrument towards the direction of the singlecut, so it seems consonant and in proportion. It seems to be part of the design, not something that was kludged on afterwards. Love the headstock design too - it reminds me of the NS Design EUBs :-)

Beautiful instrument![/quote]
I do like that - but I don't think it jars like the more Snoopy-esque singlecuts do because it's a familiar shape - it's more or less a Les Paul shape.

Consider if you took that design and, like most SCs, extended the top bout to the 12th fret, and took the cutaway back to give better access to the top frets, what would you end up with? A cartoon dog, that's what.

I do like some SCs, but these tend to be those with minimal bodies - like the Streamline, or Prosebass' [url="http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww227/picobass/Hyper-Light/LP003.jpg"]Picobass[/url], which I think is a wonderful piece of design.

I'm presently playing a Lace Helix quite a lot and have come to the conclusion it would work better as a true singlecut both aesthetically and practically. It suffers a little from neck-heaviness, and extending the top bout to the 12th, without the pointless little cutaway, would have rectified this as well as giving the design a congruent symmetry which I think it lacks.

[attachment=46079:LHfull.jpg]

J.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='791701' date='Mar 31 2010, 11:32 AM'][url="http://www.fodera.com/a_jackson.html"]http://www.fodera.com/a_jackson.html[/url]

A thing of beauty. I would, in a shot.[/quote]

Bleugggh, not my thing at all. That said I do like the single cut emperors.

Each to their own I guess :)

Edited by ashevans09

I have to say (showing my ignorance here) I didn't even know what a single cut was until I read this thread!

They aren't for me my tastes are much to traditional but it's understandable that instrument makers want to try and come up with innovative ideas and designs, personally I like the same tired old bass guitar type shapes (the musicman is nice).

[quote name='thack' post='790686' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:23 PM']Haha. Yeah, the ibanez is a cheap backup, so it stays hidden until needed. Then it gets puked on too.

Conan, i know what you mean about sperm whales!! :)

Another thing. These SC's must weigh at least an extra kilo.[/quote]

My Sei SC was one of the lightest, most comfortable basses I've ever played.

[quote name='Doddy' post='791449' date='Mar 31 2010, 02:41 AM']Like I said,there are alot of players who put their thumb over the neck when they play,and you
cannot do this on a singlecut. I have had people play mine and struggle in the upper register because
they tend to grip the neck with their thumb over the top. So when I said that it facilitates good technique,I
am saying that you basically have to use a 'correct' hand position up the neck as you cannot physically
reach your thumb over the top. If you have your technique together,it's not a problem,but for some people
it is.[/quote]
I found that when I played one at the Northampton bass bash, I had problems not in playing in the upper register but in getting there, as I move my thumb slightly round the neck when moving up a fair number of frets so my hand doesn't fall off. I wouldn't like to be forced to adopt any particular position though.

I still haven't seen a singlecut that wouldn't be improved by being a doublecut, except the Status Streamline, which would be improved by getting rid of its fat arse so it looks like a Steinberger.

[quote name='thack' post='790651' date='Mar 30 2010, 02:59 PM']What is it with single cutaways recently? It started on boutique basses a few years ago and now the manufacturers are doing it too. For example, personally i think Warwicks are some of the best looking basses around. Then this year they've gone and made a single cut thumb bass.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=22953&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/pro...22953&cl=EN[/url]

ITS HIDEOUS!!

I know there are tonal and ergonomic advantages, but i'd rather not be sick on my bass every time i see it.

Am i the only one here or does someone agree?

Thoughts?[/quote]

I think it looks OK, would be interested in trying one out. There are worse looking SC's out there than this (Marmite factor).

Cheers,
imathewalrus

[quote name='endorka' post='791550' date='Mar 31 2010, 09:16 AM']Love the headstock design too - it reminds me of the NS Design EUBs :-)

Beautiful instrument![/quote]

Well spotted! :rolleyes: The Bolin 'NS' Bass was indeed designed by non-other than Mr Steinberger himself. :)

What you don't see in the design are some of the subtleties, such as; the body is thicker in the centre than the edges, the neck is bolted on in such a way that the bolts go in at angles to pull the neck in tighter to the body, the bass has an arm that swings out to bring the upper 'horn' closer to the 12th fret balance point and a few others that I tend to take for granted.

I think the Les Paul Triumph bass is the most rock'n'roll looking bass ever (...no, I don't know what that means either..), I'd love one, slung low as possible!

The other SC's are a bit too sophisticated looking fer me, I'd be afraid people would think I knew what I was doing with one of those around my neck!
Keep the look simple, lessen expectations..... :rolleyes: :)

[quote name='oldslapper' post='799812' date='Apr 8 2010, 02:08 PM']The other SC's are a bit too sophisticated looking fer me, I'd be afraid people would think I knew what I was doing with one of those around my neck!
Keep the look simple, [i][b]lessen expectations.....[/b][/i] :lol: :)[/quote]

or you could pick up a set of drumsticks... folks would have real low expectations then! :rolleyes:

[quote name='discreet' post='799386' date='Apr 8 2010, 12:32 AM']Don't like the SC look myself, and I'm guessing here, but wouldn't all that extra mass fixed to the top of the neck result in a stiffer and more stable neck?[/quote]

First off - if I had your lovely looking vintage P I may well consider ditching my Single Cut... that looks gorgeous... secondly the neck is definitely stiffer in feel towards the 'dusty' end - I have to say I love my bass so much, it's so playable and the extra wood does not mean extra weight - I think some players might not enjoy the restriction because of the join at the 12th fret - but I don't really notice it. I know they aren't for everyone but I just love mine - it just works so well for me.

Saying that I love my 4 string jazz and my fretless 5 - and if I'm honest I don't want about SC - one is enough for now... though if anyone does happen to have a Fodera SC going cheap... :)

They don't need to be ugly ! maybe Warwick need a new designer ? .... :)

They do have some advantages regarding neck stability , shorter truss rods hence a lighter neck , and with the top horn / body extending up to the 12th fret no balance problems.
I am also told my designs are female friendly with the wide top curve to the body.

[quote name='urb' post='799828' date='Apr 8 2010, 02:16 PM']First off - if I had your lovely looking vintage P I may well consider ditching my Single Cut... that looks gorgeous... secondly the neck is definitely stiffer in feel towards the 'dusty' end - I have to say I love my bass so much, it's so playable and the extra wood does not mean extra weight - I think some players might not enjoy the restriction because of the join at the 12th fret - but I don't really notice it. I know they aren't for everyone but I just love mine - it just works so well for me.[/quote]

Well, thanks for the compliments... actually the join at the twelfth fret wouldn't bother me.
I forget who it was who said, 'there's no money above the fifth fret,' but I agree with the sentiment!

:)

And perhaps I should start being more open-minded about non-P basses! (Steady on).

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='799823' date='Apr 8 2010, 02:14 PM']or you could pick up a set of drumsticks... folks would have real low expectations then! :rolleyes:[/quote]

You gave me an idea, I've just played my bass with a drum stick....quite cool actually...anyone else do this?...sorry not on SC topic, but just had to try.... :)