Why become a member? ×

Single Cutaways. Why?

thack

What is it with single cutaways recently? It started on boutique basses a few years ago and now the manufacturers are doing it too. For example, personally i think Warwicks are some of the best looking basses around. Then this year they've gone and made a single cut thumb bass.

[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/produkt.php?katID=22953&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/modules/produkte/pro...22953&cl=EN[/url]

ITS HIDEOUS!!

I know there are tonal and ergonomic advantages, but i'd rather not be sick on my bass every time i see it.

Am i the only one here or does someone agree?

Thoughts?

[quote name='thack' post='790651' date='Mar 30 2010, 02:59 PM']ITS HIDEOUS!! Am i the only one here or does someone agree? Thoughts?[/quote]

I agree!! :)

Horrible looking things. For some reason they all remind me of sperm whales.... :rolleyes:

Personally, I don't care about how much it improves neck stability, balance, whatever - I just don't like the look of them!

[quote name='neepheid' post='790665' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:08 PM']I'd love to be in a financial position to be worried about whether Warwick have come out with a single cut Thumb or not :rolleyes:[/quote]

Im nowhere near that financial position either. They've just assaulted (and insulted) my eyes enough to start a thread. :)

Edited by thack

totally agree, that warwick in the link is completely
ruined with that elephant man forehead look. how anyone
can spend they're hard earned on that is beyond me, whatever
the advantages are, they are cancelled out when it looks that bad.
as my mum used to say, beauty may be skin deep, but ugly goes right
to the bone.

[quote name='Sibob' post='790670' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:14 PM']But then you do own an Ibanez.......pot calling the kettle black?! :rolleyes:
lol

I like the Thumb SC actually, and I'm a bit of a traditionalist with body shapes

Si[/quote]

Haha. Yeah, the ibanez is a cheap backup, so it stays hidden until needed. Then it gets puked on too.

Conan, i know what you mean about sperm whales!! :)

Another thing. These SC's must weigh at least an extra kilo.

[quote name='thack' post='790686' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:23 PM']Conan, i know what you mean about sperm whales!! :)[/quote]

I rest my case.... after the Warwick Dolphin we have the warwick Sperm Whale!

Edited by Conan

It is disgusting to look at but that's what Warwick fans voted for most. There are so many people in the world with no style, no taste. What a bunch of (insert the word "c**ts" here).

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39372&st=20"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=39372&st=20[/url]

[quote name='Sibob' post='790670' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:14 PM']But then you do own an Ibanez.......pot calling the kettle black?! :rolleyes:
lol

I like the Thumb SC actually, and I'm a bit of a traditionalist with body shapes

Si[/quote]
:snob:

Well, really!
:)

Well I love my single cut Sei - and I really don't are if anyone else does or not - but then it is extremely lightweght and easy to play -

and having sold my admitedly lovely 1990 original Thumb a while back because it was HORENDOUSLY heavy - I can only imagine that adding even more bulk to the body will make this yukky Wk SC even heavier.

Personally I think this is a very cynical piece of design/marketing by Warwick - yet another bass that will cost easily as much as a custom one but be half as playable, good looking or sounding - they are attempting to do 'everything' with their range, including trampling all over custom luthier's terrotory... vote with you wallets people and don't buy this .... IMO obviously!

[quote name='urb' post='790717' date='Mar 30 2010, 03:44 PM']Well I love my single cut Sei - and I really don't are if anyone else does or not - but then it is extremely lightweght and easy to play -

and having sold my admitedly lovely 1990 original Thumb a while back because it was HORENDOUSLY heavy - I can only imagine that adding even more bulk to the body will make this yukky Wk SC even heavier.

Personally I think this is a very cynical piece of design/marketing by Warwick - yet another bass that will cost easily as much as a custom one but be half as playable, good looking or sounding - they are attempting to do 'everything' with their range, including trampling all over custom luthier's terrotory... vote with you wallets people and don't buy this .... IMO obviously![/quote]
I must admit, I'm thumbs down (no pun intended) on Warwick's particular SC effort.
However, maybe it's the angle of the picture, but your SEI does look rather excellent. Far better finish too. :)

Edited by Stingray5

Personally, I do not like single cutaways. The aesthetics don't work IMO, they appear unbalanced in my eye (please note in my eye, it's not a comment weight distribution).
The Warwick specifically, the wood itself looks awful.
Warwick is probably my favourite bass manufacturer, but I am wondering what on earth is going on in that company lately, given some of the designs they are coming up with and their pricing.

I don't get it. They ruin a basses balance and I doubt anyone can hear a difference in tone.

I think they will date really quickly, remember 80's headless basses?
:-)

actually I've played 2 fodera singlecuts which looked/played and sounded as good as any other bass I've tried. Just leave it to fodera though, please ;-)

FWIW only one manufacturer makes a single cutaway bass that I like the shape of: Fodera. Then again they did come up with it! With all other designs the bottom horn is too short/small, making the whole bass look unbalanced. It all started with Anthony Jackson. He plays sitting down. It does feel ok when you stand, but looks a bit odd. Anyway, it's all academic as I'd never pay Fodera money for one!

IMHO Les Paul basses are cool as f*ck.

As for the Warwick SC, a big no , (although for me any Warwick looks like its been hit with the ugly stick more than once.........
.....stands back to await the flack........here it comes.....)